Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-19, 7:37pm
Glass-aholic

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindacw View Post
I did two boxes of 300 pins in a relatively short time smashing the clear plastic tops off. I also just bought some thumb tacks and was able to heat them up and apply the glass to the entire top of the tack. Worked like a dream and NO smashing plastic !!!
Just cut the top off a "T" pin. N smashing.. no fuss, you can make it the length you want. You can either glue them in, or hold them in a pin vise and make them right on the end. The great part is they are cheep, and available anywhere you can get office supplies. No ordering, no shipping, no smashing, filing, grinding. No flat top to cover, cheep enough to play around with them. I have said it before, personally I glue them, (no polishing) I do not know if they are stainless or of you can get them in stainless, but if you are getting regular push pins, or some kind of victoria needles that are not stainless and have had success, you should have the same similar success. I know there has also been cometary about fumes on non-stainless and coated metals in this thread a long time ago, again I will revert back to why I make them on 1/16th mandrels and glue them. I have made hundreds this way. Happy Push Pin making!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-21, 6:58am

Jaci: Would you mind sharing tips on how to clean the bead release out of the head of a push pin when you make them on a 1/16 rod. Also, how do you get them to stand up straight to dry when you glue whatever pin you use. Thank you, Carolyn
Old 2011-03-21, 5:11pm
Glass-aholic

I just take a dremel and grind out the innards. It really does not matter if there is some release in in places (unless you have a clear top) There will be enough glue to glass connection to make it stick forever. The easier solution to using a clear glass is to use a tiny pastel base, of any color, and build the clear on top. You will hide any traces of release this way.

When you glue them in, just stick them in a piece of foam, poly-clay, or a cork board

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-21, 6:13pm

Thanks for the reply! I did the dremel trick but I have a tapered head on my diamond drill which left a lot of bead release. Maybe I'm being too fussy. I'll try again to get the little stinkers to stand up. Maybe if I let the glue/expoxy dry a little before I stick them together. I appreciate your help. Carolyn
Old 2011-03-22, 7:52pm

I just got some t-pins and made some toppers. I can't wait to try this!!

Old 2011-03-22, 8:01pm
Mary Lockwood

I bought a pack of cheap push pins at the drug store today, the ones with the clear plastic tops. I'm gonna smash 'em off and try it out.

I couldn't resist. They were right there at the register as I was checking out and they were $1.69 for 100 of them.

Old 2011-03-22, 11:19pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've been playing with store-bought push pins, too. It's fun to smash them and more of a challenge to make 'em directly on the metal.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-23, 9:07am
Loving learning

Now that I'm finally set up, I think this might be a great way to figure out how to set my flame without just making a bunch of odd beads, maybe I'll stop by the store when I go out (before I forget again, sigh)
Old 2011-03-23, 9:26am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I've been playing with store-bought push pins, too. It's fun to smash them and more of a challenge to make 'em directly on the metal.
Yeah, post-torch finish work isn't my favorite thing. I like to take stuff out of the kiln finished. LOL That's why I'm moving more and more into offhand work. No bead cleaning, no mandrel dipping. LOL I just wanna melt stuff.

Anyway, yeah--I'm happy with the push pins so far. They are cheap and easy--something I've aspired to my whole life. LOL

Old 2011-03-23, 5:05pm
Glass-aholic

Mary you are too funny!!

Old 2011-03-28, 5:17pm

Here are some I did the other day. I love doing them. Haven't quite figured how to get the definition in the relief and still have the glass stay on the bead and not pop off.

Chris S. (Newbie)
Attached Images

Old 2011-03-28, 5:33pm

Those are great, Chris! I'm a newbie too, and I think I read somewhere that anything in relief can't have any undercuts or it will pop off... like I think one of those transparent purple dots might pop off, but the others should be fine since they don't have undercuts...

Old 2011-03-28, 6:30pm
Glass-aholic

Chris I think they look great!

Old 2011-04-10, 11:43am
Uh Oh....

I was inspired by this thread to make some push pins. Great ideas!! They are so much fun!! Here's a few that I took out of the kiln last night:

It's kind of challenging to work on such a small piece.

Old 2011-04-10, 2:23pm

Susan- those are adorable!

Old 2011-04-10, 5:03pm
Loving learning

Those are so cute! Can I ask how big they are?
Old 2011-04-10, 5:29pm
Uh Oh....

Thanks junko and Eileen.

They are around 3/8" wide. Some are smaller.

Old 2011-04-10, 6:15pm
Loving learning

You packed a lot of cute onto a small canvas
Old 2011-04-13, 7:08pm
Oinky Oink!

This might be a stupid question but what do you use to hold the pin while you put the glass on? I was interested in cutting off the top of plastic pushpins and using the pins but what or how can I hold it? Is there some kinda of special tool?

Thanks!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-13, 7:27pm
Uh Oh....

Not a stupid question at all. It took me a while to figure it out. I got one of these:

It's stainless steel and 9 1/2" long. It is just big enough to fit the plastic push pin pins. After I make my topper, I use pliers to unloosen the vise and pull the push pin out with my pliers and toss it into the kiln. I got it from here: http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/picks.htm#_1350_5 Shipping was a little steep for one little item.

I tried a regular sized (4") pin vise and those work too for longer pins. Since the push pins are so short, my fingers were getting kind of burnt after I made two push pins. I did find another long pin vise on E-Bay and I just bought it so I haven't tried it yet. It's made out of steel and probably coated with nickel silver. Not sure how much heat it will hold. I have to dunk the stainless steel one into water between push pins to cool it off enough so I can put another pin in.

Hemostats will work too but it's harder to spin them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiggy View Post
This might be a stupid question but what do you use to hold the pin while you put the glass on? I was interested in cutting off the top of plastic pushpins and using the pins but what or how can I hold it? Is there some kinda of special tool?

Thanks!

Old 2011-04-14, 7:02am

http://www.micromark.com/Cross-Locki...ign=GoogleBase

i use these. i got them at a hobby store years ago. before i start i set pin in tweezers so they are ready on the bench, then i work on a punti and when piece is finished I super heat where im plunging pin into and barely heat metal pin a bit, stick pin in , hold my breath while it sets so i dont move, remove punti and place in hot kiln.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2011-04-14, 7:09pm

Susan - I LOVE the looks of that needle holder. I think I might have to get one of those.

I use a bundle of steel stem wires bundled together. The points of the pin push into the voids between the wires. After I'm happy with the glass I just pull it out with my needle nose and cool it.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-04-14, 8:14pm
Uh Oh....

Nance - I would never have thought about using wires to hold my pin in place. It's a cheaper solution and more creative than what I came up with.

Old 2011-04-15, 6:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiP View Post
Susan - I LOVE the looks of that needle holder. I think I might have to get one of those.

I use a bundle of steel stem wires bundled together. The points of the pin push into the voids between the wires. After I'm happy with the glass I just pull it out with my needle nose and cool it.
What are steel stem wires?

Old 2011-04-16, 7:40pm

Go to the floral section of your craft store, Hobby Lobby, Micheals...etc. There will be packaged stem wire, it's straight and I think there's about 20 of them in the package. I don't have a package here to look at the label for you.

I actually got the idea from a post here on LWE. Here's a picture of mine.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Last edited by PiP; 2011-04-16 at 7:44pm. Reason: Adding picture
Old 2011-04-17, 5:18am

Ah, thank you!

Old 2011-05-03, 5:10pm
Jeff

Thanks for the idea guys, I went with the victrola needles and was very happy with what I got. It felt like making marbles, but without the hassle of needing perfect spheres.

Old 2011-11-18, 12:36pm
Glassbeadlady

Walmart here in the Toronto area now sells packages of push pins with wooden tops.
The tops were so loose that I just pulled them off very easily with my fingers leaving a clean, straight pin.
Hope this helps someone.
Old 2011-11-18, 1:52pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I think one could use quilting/sewing pins. Just cut to length.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-19, 6:40am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... a bit off the subject, but brass is compatible with 104 soft glass. I use brass wire all the time when making leaves and petals. I have also used small pure brass screws and made drawer pulls with them, they are now about 15 years old and still fine. for the screws.. I used a pin vice to hold them and heated the screw and added glas to the screw head, just make sure you have the screw head embedded so it doesnt pull out

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."