Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-22, 11:04am

Default Keeping track of inventory

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good inexpensive software for jewelry-related inventory ? I've been using Excel but it's very time-consuming and I'm sure there are better ways.

Thanks !

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-09-22, 12:21pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I've heard "Pencil and Paper" are really good. You could try that!

Sorry, I know that was snarky and unhelpful, but I had to say it 'cause it's funny. You can ignore it if it was too rude.

But on the not-quite-helpful-but-much-nicer side, I'm struggling with trying to find an inventory system for my glass, so I can totally empathize. I've looked at StashMaster and it's not exactly what I need, so now I'm just re-inventing the wheel.

Good luck with your search! If I come up with something I'll let you know.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-09-22, 2:29pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

PerfectDeb says she is 'modifying' StashMaster into a generic database for other items.
Old 2011-09-22, 5:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Not sure what inexpensive is for you but I have this program and I luv luv luv it. I love that all I have to do is push a button and it gives me different pricing options such as wholesale, commission, retail. Push a button and you have a print out for the IRS. Push a button and you know exactly how much you have left of any item.

It pretty much tracks everything.

It is very thorough and as such you need to put everything into the program in order for it to do it's job but that being said it does go pretty fast once you get it all set up.

http://www.jewelrydesignermanager.com/products/pro.aspx
Old 2011-09-23, 2:20am

That looks interesting Lorraine. My biggest problem right now is not assembled jewelry pricing though but stock managing. Does it do that efficiently ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-09-23, 2:26am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
PerfectDeb says she is 'modifying' StashMaster into a generic database for other items.
Actually you can use it that way anyway, I'm just modifying the fields so it's not glass specific but you could use it for components by just adding them as categories

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-09-23, 2:57am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post

Sorry, I know that was snarky and unhelpful, but I had to say it 'cause it's funny. You can ignore it if it was too rude.

But on the not-quite-helpful-but-much-nicer side, I'm struggling with trying to find an inventory system for my glass, so I can totally empathize. I've looked at StashMaster and it's not exactly what I need, so now I'm just re-inventing the wheel.

Good luck with your search! If I come up with something I'll let you know.
I'd really like feedback on stashmaster- why it it not exactly what you need ?- im continually adding modifications so thing people want added are really useful

Old 2011-09-23, 8:09am
Debra Clutter

I think Deb's Database is awesome if you are using a PC! Though I have a PC in the house and work on one everyday at work, I use a Mac.

I have been evaluating a product on my Mac called Bento.
It is super easy to use and you can create all kinds of databases for storing inventory. It even has a few templates that come with it or you can use one from the template forum. It sinks up to my iPad very nicely!

You can buy the app for your IPad for $5, but without the Mac app it would take forever to create the database. This is one of it's drawbacks. And you can't give someone a template to use on the IPad like you can on your Mac. It would be nice if they had an import function to import excel spreadsheets into it.

I thought about developing my own app for the IPad but it would take me a long time since my coding is weak at the moment and I would have to learn Xcode. I might still do it but the Bento app is working for me.

Deb you have put so much work into your database. It is truly a work of art. I have spent weeks creating the one on my Mac and it is hard work! But I love the results. I can create a database for my beads, jewelry, frit, glass or whatever I want. I can store documents, pictures, url's etc in the database.
The query options are easy to use and I don't have to create macros!
Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.

Bento desktop app.

Bento Ipad app.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-09-23, 8:26am
Dazed and Confused

Here are some pictures if anyone is interested.

Oooh, I am!

I'm a mac laptop gal myself. I've been struggling with my decades-old rusty spreadsheet skills to make a database of my sale items, so I can totally see the advantage of Bento.
Old 2011-09-23, 8:33am
Debra Clutter

Bento is $49.99 and the iPad app is $4.99. You can download Bento as a trial if you want to try it out. I can also send you my template I have been working on. I have Effetre, Vetrofond, CIM and some Northstar in it already. Plus I have a Frit one with Glass Diversions and Valcox so far. It is super easy to customize and import data from an excel spreadsheet is as easy as copy and paste. If you have questions, just ask.

One more thing, it sinks edits you made on your iPad to your Mac and vise versa!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-09-23, 8:59am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
I literally thought, "I haven't heard of that one," until I read further... Geez, gullible much?
Old 2011-09-23, 9:10am
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclutter64 View Post
Bento is $49.99 and the iPad app is $4.99. You can download Bento as a trial if you want to try it out.
Thanks so much for the info! I've got the nerdy husband on the case. From a quick look, it seems to be quite adequate to requirements
Old 2011-09-23, 9:47am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
That looks interesting Lorraine. My biggest problem right now is not assembled jewelry pricing though but stock managing. Does it do that efficiently ?
Yes, very efficiently.

I transfer all of the info to a hard drive that is separate from my computer and that is all I use that drive for. So it is my backup in case my puter ever crashes.

http://www.jewelrydesignermanager.co...timonials.aspx
Old 2011-09-23, 4:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

bento is brilliant - they also make Filemaker which is the other database program i was looking at so i could convert stashmaster to mac

for those of you using mac that want to use bento, pm me and i'll send you the data in a spreadsheet you can import it in, saves heaps of time

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-09-23 at 4:29pm.
Old 2011-09-23, 5:04pm
Debra Clutter

Deb that is very nice of you. I almost asked you when I started building mine but I just didn't do it. Anyway I had a lot of it in spreadsheets anyway. I still have a long way to go though. I thought about filemaker, but it was to much money for what I needed.

#C-108

Old 2011-09-24, 8:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclutter64 View Post
Bento is $49.99 and the iPad app is $4.99. You can download Bento as a trial if you want to try it out. I can also send you my template I have been working on. I have Effetre, Vetrofond, CIM and some Northstar in it already. Plus I have a Frit one with Glass Diversions and Valcox so far. It is super easy to customize and import data from an excel spreadsheet is as easy as copy and paste. If you have questions, just ask.

One more thing, it sinks edits you made on your iPad to your Mac and vise versa!
I didn't get a chance to comment upon last night's bathroom post othis topic but would love a copy of your template if you are willing. Thank you! Just downloaded the app for iPad!
Old 2011-09-28, 2:10pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Deb, sorry about the delay responding, I wasn't ignoring you. I totally forgot I'd posted in this thread.

StashMaster is awesome, you've done a fantastic job. More than I could, that's for sure! My specific requirements for a DB are in no way intended to minimize the accomplishment you've made in SM. I'm just particular and always have to have my own way. That's why I taught myself Excel and Access (2003) in the first place. That being said, since you asked, I'd be more than happy to give you a list of what I'm looking for. I'll PM you this afternoon when I get home and have a chance to make up a list of specifics.

Off the top of my head, the first thing I noticed is I can't just enter the product code into the db form in order to call up the particular glass entry I want to work with. I need to know the name of the glass to use StashMaster. I'm a bookkeeper and I keep my inventory system by part number, not name.

Having just built a spreadsheet in Excel, I like how I can filter the list of all glass in my DB by specific criteria and see, for instance, just the glass I own in a concise list, including photos (which are also pasted into the Excel spreadsheet). I haven't looked at StashMaster much, does it allow you to produce list-type reports, with images, of all the glass in your inventory? Being able to create queries would be great (if you don't already have them).

I'll subscribe to this thread so I don't lose it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I'd really like feedback on stashmaster- why it it not exactly what you need ?- im continually adding modifications so thing people want added are really useful

~
~

#M-191

Last edited by Lyssa; 2011-09-28 at 2:17pm. Reason: one more sentence...
Old 2011-09-28, 6:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Deb, sorry about the delay responding, I wasn't ignoring you. I totally forgot I'd posted in this thread.

StashMaster is awesome, you've done a fantastic job. More than I could, that's for sure! My specific requirements for a DB are in no way intended to minimize the accomplishment you've made in SM. I'm just particular and always have to have my own way. That's why I taught myself Excel and Access (2003) in the first place. That being said, since you asked, I'd be more than happy to give you a list of what I'm looking for. I'll PM you this afternoon when I get home and have a chance to make up a list of specifics.

Off the top of my head, the first thing I noticed is I can't just enter the product code into the db form in order to call up the particular glass entry I want to work with. I need to know the name of the glass to use StashMaster. I'm a bookkeeper and I keep my inventory system by part number, not name.

Having just built a spreadsheet in Excel, I like how I can filter the list of all glass in my DB by specific criteria and see, for instance, just the glass I own in a concise list, including photos (which are also pasted into the Excel spreadsheet). I haven't looked at StashMaster much, does it allow you to produce list-type reports, with images, of all the glass in your inventory? Being able to create queries would be great (if you don't already have them).

I'll subscribe to this thread so I don't lose it again.
thats ok, i wasnt being defensive - i do really want suggestions on how to make it more useful - that particular request had been made before, ie have the choice to search by colour or code, its on my list to work out how