Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-06, 9:14am
Noobie

Default a good clear?

Hi y'all.

I've started making beads again after taking a long hiatus and was wondering what a good clear is? 3+yrs ago it was cim and lausha. I was looking at the 104 uroboros clear. Any other new glass that anyone can reccommend. The black gun metal looks interesting, anything like the silver plum?
Old 2015-04-07, 5:24am

I think you will find that the jury is still out on a good, consistent clear. I use Reichenbach soft and Effetre super clear (06), don't like CIM clear but some do, and haven't tried the Uroborus clear. Sorry, I haven't tried the gun metal.

Mimi
Old 2015-04-07, 7:16am

Was DH Zepyr available at the time you were lampworking? As great as Aether but it doesn't react to silver glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-04-07, 6:00pm

DH Zephyr is the bomb! Get the seconds, it cheaper and you really cannot tell the difference.

Old 2015-04-07, 6:20pm
Phill

Have you read the threads about pickling your glass, clear, transparents and opaques or other wise?

Seems that a hot (140 f {hot coffee temp} ) vinegar and salt solution works pretty good and there is something called 'PH Down" in the pool/ hot tube section of the stores cleans really good too. It is a stronger acid than the vinegar though so do spend the time reading every thing you can about it.

Once it has been cleaned like that I just give each rod a wipe with isopropyl alcohol to get the last of the dust and finger prints off before use.

A lot of the marginal clears have gotten much much better with this kind of cleaning.

At the moment I have a pound or two of Uroboros that I working my through but I also have some ASK and I think the verdict was thumbs down on that one due to compatibility cracking so I limit it to very thin encasing but I don't mind using it for playing with ideas and outright experimenting.

The Double Helix Zephyr and Aether are very nice if you have the $ so I reserve mine for the " Don't want to risk a bad clear over this much effort" beads.

ETA: And Carol is right. Get the seconds. They come at a great price and I can't tell the difference.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-07 at 6:26pm.
Old 2015-04-08, 8:58am

DH zephyr or aether 2nds. you can't tell their 2nds and at $30 a lb you can't go wrong. that stuff is soooo damn buttery.
Old 2015-04-09, 2:20pm
professional gimme fiver

DH Zephyr seconds! I've never even bought the first quality, second quality is perfect. DH Aether seconds for reactive work.

(basically what everyone else said!)