LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-16, 8:30am

Default A new/old technique

Before going to the Gathering this year I came up with an idea that worked out really well and is fun to do. I want to take the technique further, but thought perhaps others would like to play with it too.

Oh, I want to add that this is a very old technique used by glassblowers all the time, blowing into sand. I didn't think it up, but I haven't heard of anyone using it for beads though they could have.

Supplies needed: sand (yes, regular normal sand - 50 lb. bag $5)
a container for the sand
something to flatten the bead
glass (I used a reduction glass)
mandrel, of course

How to: place the sand in the container. I used an old cake pan and piled the sand into it so that the peak of the pile in the center was above the edge of the pan. I then wet the sand and using a spatula tool piled the sand up roughly in the center, making cuts and holes. I then made a fat bead and once it was hot laid it in the sand and flattened it with the large marver I have. (mine is one of the Japanese type marvers that has the handle on top). Steam comes out of the sand and that is my cue to remove the glass from the sand. I brush off the loose sand with the marver and then put the back of the bead (the flat side) into the flame and reheat enough to get rid of the tool marks, then turn to the "sand" side and reheat very lightly. Then I reduce both the front and back and put it away in the kiln. It's a great organic look. I used all the BE lusters I have making these beads and they all came out great! I made two necklaces from them and sold one of them at the Gathering, plus lots of the loose beads.

Have fun with this technique, and let me know if any of you actually give it a try!
Attached Images

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-16, 8:33am
old person/new member

This is a very cool idea!! Thanks so much for sharing it. I would love to see your necklace made with these beads!!!!!

Old 2009-08-16, 8:34am
I fart diamonds

Thanks for sharing Pam!! I've used sand experimentally in beach beads and I'm pretty sure Kim Hart is the person who told me about it, but I never thought to try it as an organic.

Have torch. Have sand. Will play!

Old 2009-08-16, 8:54am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

sounds like a lot of fun! Have you tried pressing the other side in the sand too?

Old 2009-08-16, 9:02am

Hi De, I actually didn't do both sides on purpose. The surface of the face of the bead is kind of rough and I felt it would be better to have a smooth surface next to the skin or fabric. But, of course, you definitely could press both sides or even roll the bead in sand.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-08-16, 9:24am
Moving On

Very, very neat!!!-Gail

Old 2009-08-16, 2:09pm
just plain silly

Yippeeee... what fun! Thanks Pam for sharing something new and different (at least to me!). Off to search the garage for sand now

Suzanne
Old 2009-08-16, 2:19pm

what a fun idea! I'd love to see more pics.

Old 2009-08-16, 2:35pm

I looked to see if I had taken any pictures of the necklaces, but I didn't - sorry. I have another one I am putting together and I can take a picture of that if you are interested.

My Blog
Old 2009-08-16, 6:57pm

Yes, more pics please! =)

Old 2009-08-17, 3:35am
Knob Creek Glass

Aha. That is the bead that I won in the Silent Auction and the one that you gave me. Thank you.
Old 2009-08-17, 3:54am

Very cool Pam. Reminds me of sand casting in silver. I wonder what the effect would look like with fine grained casting sand. Hmmm maybe cuttlefish bone would work too. Lots of interesting ideas. Then there is the option of investment molds. Oh I need to get home so I can play with glass again.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-17, 4:16am

Oh, great, new ideas!! I'll try to take a picture today of the temp strung necklace and post it.

My Blog
Old 2009-08-17, 11:37am

Here is a pic of the necklace I am putting together. All it lacks is the closure, which I will make the next time I get a chance to get on the torch. It is on a concrete slab and then a grassy area, wanted to see how it would look in a rustic setting. The glass is BE lustres, probably blue, aurae and green (I like to mix them up)
Attached Images

My Blog
Old 2009-08-17, 11:44am

Beautiful Pm.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-17, 1:57pm
<--- Time traveler

That is fantastic - almost like making your own druzy stones.
Old 2009-08-18, 5:23pm
Happiness is....

really cool idea and beads Pam. Thanks for sharing it with us.......

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2009-08-19, 3:37pm

Hi, I love the bead pictures. They are very organic looking. It sounds like you used soft glass to make your bead. Do you think it would work if I used Boro glass instead. Thank you for shareing., Cynthia in Australia
Old 2009-08-19, 4:53pm
Feminist Killjoy

Very cool! I love the way they came out.
Old 2009-08-19, 5:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrakat123 View Post
Hi, I love the bead pictures. They are very organic looking. It sounds like you used soft glass to make your bead. Do you think it would work if I used Boro glass instead. Thank you for shareing., Cynthia in Australia
I haven't heard of anyone using sand with boro, but......why not?

My Blog