No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-11, 9:49am
aka Pele's Fire

Default Tool for cutting really large murrini

I have been working on really large murrini pieces....so far just practice and I have a long way to go before I master this technique. I can't seem to find anything to cut my murrini pieces with to put them in the holding kiln to be picked back up later. My nippers are just not large enough to go around the bundle and I don't have the hand strength. If anyone has ever taken a class with Loren you can visualize what I am talking about. Any suggestions on a tool that might help?

T

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2012-02-11, 11:46am

For the large pieces it is pretty hard to 'nip' them off with rod nippers or cutters so I think going to a rock saw or glass saw would be the way to go. You lose the width of the saw blade but you get a nice cut. When I took the course with Loren Stump in Edmonton we used a rock saw that was cooled with water. Just watch your fingers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-11, 1:05pm
aka Pele's Fire

I have a rock saw for the finished product. I am talking about when you are making murrini components and they are still hot. You want to be able to cut them into pieces so they can then be picked back up from the kiln for the next pull in the sequence. Does this make sense?

T

Old 2012-02-11, 2:20pm

Yes that makes sense. What we did in the class is made all the components and allowed them to cool then cut them, then brought them up to temperature in the kiln then put them together in the torch don't know what to recommend for the way you are doing them.

Old 2012-02-11, 2:44pm

use nippers you can hit it with something

NOT the wheel type
Old 2012-02-11, 5:00pm

I use that score tool on large boro rods. I'm not sure what it's called though....

Old 2012-02-13, 4:31pm

I do this sort of work a lot. If your pieces are too big to get nippers around then you'll probably have to take the long road and cool them in the kiln, cut with your saw and then reheat for the next step. If you can get your nippers over them the just put one side of the handle down and give the other side a whack. It takes more time but sometimes you just have to cold cut some pieces.

Robert
Old 2012-02-13, 5:54pm
aka Pele's Fire

Thanks guys for the advise. Sometimes there just isn't a short cut.

T

Old 2012-02-14, 10:21am

I have tried to cut corners and break them while they are still hot and end up burning myself or breaking half the cane i just pulled. Diamond saw all the way
Old 2012-02-15, 10:40am
Hey ma I'm on South Park

There is a tool for cutting large canes glass blowers use a Old Tool File ground to an edge and mount it with a strike plate and springs with they bash with a hammer it cuts 1.5 to 2" bar that they use for color and for more precision we have a modified (arbor press) I think that's what it's called with carbide blades that meet... there are limitations as to the thicknesses and the precision of the cut with these quick options
I can post pic's if you'd like to see them.

Marta

Old 2012-02-15, 11:32am
aka Pele's Fire

Marta, I would love to see pics.

T

Old 2012-02-15, 12:58pm

When building a murrini it can quickly get too large if not careful. So may be, try to use smaller components for the finished item. But watch out for component to component size proportions with regard to finished item
Old 2012-02-16, 12:00pm
Hey ma I'm on South Park

Smile Murinni chopper

It has been a long time since I have posted pic lets see if it works.
ok well... They are side ways

Marta

Old 2012-02-16, 12:40pm

Where did these tools come from? Are they still available.
Old 2012-02-17, 7:28am
Hey ma I'm on South Park

These were Made by my hubby the Arbor press it's self you can find at Mcmaster type places even yard sales sometimes and then modified by welding the cutting blade (carbide steel) to the chopping bit there is some guy out there who makes them but they are way overpriced at $2000 a pop
The color bar chopper? Charlie Correll of Corell glass might be able to make you one tell him it's the one he uses. he might even be willing to make the other one as well

Marta

Last edited by JMB Glass; 2012-02-17 at 10:00am.
Old 2012-02-17, 7:46am
old fart

draw your murrini down to a smaller OD on the torch. use 2 clear rods, as punti's, heat up the murrini and stretch it to a smaller, more easily cut diameter. preheat the murinni up to 1100F before adding the punti's to keep it from cracking when introduced to the flame.

Old 2012-02-17, 12:05pm
Ancient Primate

Depends how serious you are about cutting really large canes.. In the hot glass world they use these but they also melt 400lbs of glass at a time...

Last edited by Silberrucken; 2012-02-17 at 12:14pm.