Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your favorite tool specifically made for Lampwork or have "MacGyvered" one?
Store Purchased 219 67.18%
Handmade, baby! 95 29.14%
Tools? I don't use no stinkin' tools! 7 2.15%
I'm not telling you! 5 1.53%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-04, 5:32am
<--- Time traveler

Other than my marver and tweezers, my favorite tools are my BBQ mashers (I forgot those at Hot Time and it drove me nuts) and my Drew Fritts infinite rim marble mold. It end up using it for all kinds of stuff.
Old 2007-11-04, 11:27am

My favrit tool and asset in the shop has been my idustrial o2 genarator.

It saved me $25-$50 a day for every day I work from not having pay $25 bucks per 255CF K tank for 2 tanks a day day in and day out. Nore having to run to the o2 supplier every single day is a big savings in its self.

I have not had to change a tank or have want for o2 in years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-09, 11:38am
where is that UPS man?

Needlenose pliers and my dental tools
Osibin lentil shaper
whatever I happen to grab, blieve it or not a lot of times it is stringer that I use for my tools

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-06-09, 11:50am
Peppermint Patty

I am the only one not using tools, but then I'm a newbie yet! I have been letting the gravity and heat do all the work - or I use a stringer. Well, I guess I'll have to catch up to everyone else - as soon as I take out a second mortgage! It sure isn't the cheapest craft to take up, but then neither was pottery.
Old 2008-06-10, 7:09am
Glass-aholic

you can use a butter knife from your kitchen and a spoon. there are lots of creative ways to get tools that are comparable to ones you see on line. I like hitting up flea markets and searching for old tools that look interesting. if it is fire/heat resistant and won't burn you while you hold it, or can be used on your workbench rather than holding it, try it. you might only spend a few bucks at a bargain outlet. I just picked up lobster shears and a weird steel block that has a v grove in it for 2 bucks at a yard sale.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-06-10, 7:21am
Peppermint Patty

Thanks for the advice Jaci. Especially this time of the year, there are so many flea markets...I'll give this a try!
Old 2008-07-06, 11:36pm
Dances With Fire

my large graphite marver and torch mounted marver...also a special little dental tool with a blade on one end and something like a cuticle pusher on the other...also I love love love my merikal tool! I can use glass right down to the nubbie and pull stringer from ends of glass. I may just have to break down and buy the one she makes for stringer too! great little tool!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-07, 8:05pm
Smooches!

Crystal - what's a merikal tool?

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-07-08, 12:22pm

I use scallop shells for frit... they are great
Old 2008-07-09, 9:40am
Dances With Fire

sorry miss kate! I havent been back to this thread in a couple of days...

this is the merikal

http://merickal.com/index.htm

great tool! I had a homemade one that wasnt as good as this one! worth the price of admission!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-09, 10:44am
Creatrixie

Thanks Crystal! That looks like a fabulous tool!
I too feel the need to use up every little bit of glass and it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out how to do so!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-07-09, 10:57am
a controlled pyromaniac

My favorite tools are

meat tenderizer (I use one side as a masher and the othehr give interesting texture to beads)
needle nose pliers.
mini masher
exacto knife
hemostats
steak knife
comfort grip marver
home made arm rests. I cannot torch without them

elise

Old 2008-07-09, 6:24pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
Thanks Crystal! That looks like a fabulous tool!
I too feel the need to use up every little bit of glass and it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out how to do so!
I just melt my shorts together. I love using every little bit!

Jenny

Old 2008-07-09, 11:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96000
Old 2008-08-03, 7:33am
crabby...who me?

I make a pair of pliers to pinch a hole in boro pendants,lately they have been my favorite tool.
Old 2008-08-04, 1:56pm

My favorite tool by far is a marver I got from Catt (cattwalktools.com). It is brass but has sharp edges I can use for making flowers or any kind of lines I would normally use a razor for. It is also a marver for rolling and it is nice and light and I just adore it. I think she has them but hasn't listed them yet on her website but I can't tell you how useful mine is. I have given them to a few people that saw me use it and had to get another from Catt but I love my brass marver. It looks like this althought this was a prototype and the ones she has now are better I think.

I also use my bail biters for making loops in all of my pendants that I got from RuskinDesigns. That was one of the best investments I ever made because I stink at making loops and with her bail biters I just have to squeeze a blob of glass and it makes the loop for me. I love those things and they have been one of my all time favorite tools.

I can't forget my Smircich paddle either because I really use the little cut out end to spin my mandrel when I am working.

Oh, this isn't really a tool but since I am thinking of the best things I bought for myself for lampworking I have to include my creation station even though it isn't a tool. That thing is absolutely wonderful and I have back and wrist problems so it really helps me so much.

I am have lots and lots of tools but those are my favorites.

Old 2008-08-04, 4:00pm

Nail biters? Please give more information on this. It sounds very interesting and I haven't got a clue what it is.
Thanks,
Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
My favorite tool by far is a marver I got from Catt (cattwalktools.com). It is brass but has sharp edges I can use for making flowers or any kind of lines I would normally use a razor for. It is also a marver for rolling and it is nice and light and I just adore it. I think she has them but hasn't listed them yet on her website but I can't tell you how useful mine is. I have given them to a few people that saw me use it and had to get another from Catt but I love my brass marver. It looks like this althought this was a prototype and the ones she has now are better I think.

I also use my bail biters for making loops in all of my pendants that I got from RuskinDesigns. That was one of the best investments I ever made because I stink at making loops and with her bail biters I just have to squeeze a blob of glass and it makes the loop for me. I love those things and they have been one of my all time favorite tools.

I can't forget my Smircich paddle either because I really use the little cut out end to spin my mandrel when I am working.

Oh, this isn't really a tool but since I am thinking of the best things I bought for myself for lampworking I have to include my creation station even though it isn't a tool. That thing is absolutely wonderful and I have back and wrist problems so it really helps me so much.

I am have lots and lots of tools but those are my favorites.
Old 2008-08-04, 4:03pm

My favorite tools are extra long needle nose pliers, my obisian lentil shaper ( to shape olive beads), and my new baroque shaper for small bicones and cylinder beads. Perhaps my most valued tool is the black marble table I use to work on....it's a great marver, glass warmer etc. and I never have trouble seeing the flame.
Mary
Old 2008-08-05, 2:18pm
Glass-aholic

OK I have a new fav tool!!! My jim moore spiral tongs!!! OMG the best 100 bucks i ever spent! I have been on a wine stopper kick lately so it has gotten some amazing work outta me.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-09-04 at 8:41am.
Old 2008-08-09, 10:46pm

How did you get Jim Moore spiral tongs for $10????? I would love to know. They are $100. Is someone selling them on some kind of great sale???

Old 2008-09-04, 8:42am
Glass-aholic

opps I was excited.. I missed a zero I DID spend 100 bucks! I am kindda disappointed right now, they have rust spots...grr...

Old 2009-05-15, 9:21pm
Formerly FishBulb

Hi Chau,

I don't think the silicone ones will hold up to the heat. I do know that you can buy silicone cooking tools and potholders but those never get to the sort of temperatures that you get with glass work. The tongs that most people have are the metal ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Nguyen T View Post
Hello everyone,
I've looked into the Target ice tongs, it made by silicone and i don't know if it can stand hot glass. ??? Please let me know then i'll run out there to buy a set rightaway.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-05-15, 9:23pm
Formerly FishBulb

My favourite tools are my non-serrated tweezers of various sizes. I have long ones, teeny ones, and everything in between. They rock for straightening out a wonky bead, straightening out wonky stringer, you name it. If it's wonky (and if I made it, it will be) then those tweezers will straighten it out.

I also love plunged dots so my tungsten picks of various sizes are invaluable to me.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-05-16, 5:53am

I love the Aki shaper, especially when I'm making goddesses. Other favorites are my platform marver, tungsten tweezers, Cattwalk marvers and crunch press, Infinite Rim marble mold, and Osibin former.
Old 2009-05-24, 10:49am
marbeads

Exclamation Tools?

We have bought almost every type of tool available. I use all of them in some way.
My personal favorite is a 1 inch strip of brass folded into a small masher. Scrap brass at the industrial metal place, cost $1.00 for enough to make 3.
When I teach I give my students a butter knife and a small needle nose pliers. They marver on a piece of scrap graphite or if I can find them, the chunks of real marble from an old trophy stand.
We do not even use dydidium glasses, just safety glasses.
If they choose to continue with lampwork, then I let them know how to protect their eyes for the long term.
Works for us!
HITK,
Kurt
Old 2009-05-25, 6:32pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoft View Post
We have bought almost every type of tool available. I use all of them in some way.
My personal favorite is a 1 inch strip of brass folded into a small masher. Scrap brass at the industrial metal place, cost $1.00 for enough to make 3.
When I teach I give my students a butter knife and a small needle nose pliers. They marver on a piece of scrap graphite or if I can find them, the chunks of real marble from an old trophy stand.
We do not even use dydidium glasses, just safety glasses.
If they choose to continue with lampwork, then I let them know how to protect their eyes for the long term.
Works for us!
HITK,
Kurt
WOW....

Old 2009-05-26, 10:20am
Peerless Thread Killer

Wow is right....

Makes me so very, very happy that I had a safety-oriented teacher for my lampworking.

Old 2009-05-26, 10:56pm
Storm Queen

Yeah, I had a good laugh when I read that too. Scary. I like how he does the entire....what..three session class and then tells them they didn't have the right protective glasses for their eyes.

Old 2009-05-29, 6:12am
old person/new member

I was under the impression that dydidium glasses were for long term work at the torch. I am not sure that you would damage your eyes in a handful of classes?
When I took my classes (two - four hour classes) the school didn't provide dydidium glasses, we used safety glasses. They went over safety big time and said that if we were to proceed with glass work at a torch that dydidium glasses were a must.

Old 2009-05-29, 10:22am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy at the Beach View Post
I was under the impression that dydidium glasses were for long term work at the torch. I am not sure that you would damage your eyes in a handful of classes?
When I took my classes (two - four hour classes) the school didn't provide dydidium glasses, we used safety glasses. They went over safety big time and said that if we were to proceed with glass work at a torch that dydidium glasses were a must.
In that case I guess ventilation isn't really necessary either, right? It's really long term exposure...