Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-08-07, 1:11am

Default KBinkster-please post the crickets here.

Well, I have the pics of the Crickets that Kbinkster posted but I don't want to post them since she put that thread in the Bathroom, maybe she had a reason to let them get flushed. I wish she had posted them here, maybe she will?

I wish I was going to the gathering so I could see the Crickets in action! Kim, will you post that thread here? Can you give us any more info on the Cricket for all of us who won't be at the gathering?

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-08-07, 5:12am
I wanna go back...

Yes!! Pretty please! I saw that last night too and would love to find out more. I was thinking of upgrading soon, so would appreciate any and all info you have!

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.
Old 2008-08-07, 8:07am
PyronamixK

I'd be happy to, Kym and Andrea.

Here is the Cricket.

The Cricket it is shown with the regular GTT base, it will have its own style base once it is in full production. It is available in different colors.

The colors shown in the picture above are just a sample - there are more colors available. The first run will be purple. I'll have to check which color(s) will be standard and how much it will be to get optional colors.

It's designed to run on low pressure (even lower than 3 psi oxygen) and low flow to get the most out of a 5 LPM oxygen concentrator. It can also run on low fuel pressure - 1/4 psi.

On a 5 LPM concentrator it produces more heat than any other torch that I tested does on that source. It can run on tanked oxygen set even lower than 3 psi! Now, those other torches may outrun it on higher pressure tanked oxygen, but on low psi, low flow (up to 10 LPM), the Cricket outperforms them. This torch is specifically designed to run low and run clean.

The visible flame is not very bushy (a hair narrower than the Minor on 5 LPM, a littler wider than the Minor on 10 LPM, almost as wide as the Mega Minor on 10 LPM), but it does have a lot of radiant heat - not from the torch body, but around the flame itself. It also has the ability to be focused very tightly. I can get a tiny tiny needle flame on this torch for detail work.

Oh, and it does not get hot knobs, no matter how short you run your candles.

As for the price, right now they are being offered at an introductory price of $139. This price is not limited to the Gathering, btw. You can order a Cricket now if you want - you don't have to wait.

I'm in Oakland getting ready for the Gathering to start. Tonight is Open Torch. I'll update more when I get a chance.
Old 2008-08-07, 9:29am
Dangerous Woman

They are just adorable! I love all the color options.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-07, 9:33am
Borovangelist

Hmm...I was thinking of getting a kiln to pull rods from wine bottles....this is cheaper AND more fun...and I can use my oxy con finally.

Dilemma dilemma dilemma....

Out of curiosity, will these be able to handle small boro projects or are they pretty much 104 only?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by menty666; 2008-08-07 at 9:39am.
Old 2008-08-07, 11:49am
PyronamixK

You can work small boro on one.
Old 2008-08-07, 12:15pm

So I would be able to run two of these at the same time on an OG15 and propane so I can torch with a buddy?

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-08-07, 12:26pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
So I would be able to run two of these at the same time on an OG15 and propane so I can torch with a buddy?

Cheers
Kym
I was able to run two nicely on a 10 LPM Regalia. When I get home, I can dial it down to 7 LPM (what the OG15 puts out) and see how they do on that.
Old 2008-08-07, 1:22pm
I wanna go back...

kbinkster, Can we order from you? If not, could you please post a link or address that we can purchase from?

I don't know much about where to get what yet and am in Canada, but have a MN mailing address for my US purchases.

Thanks!

Old 2008-08-07, 1:58pm
I need more boro stuff

LOL I thought cricket as in the insect

So, what's the different between the cricket and bobcat beside the low pressure?

Last edited by gubnavnania; 2008-08-08 at 4:30am. Reason: adding more detail
Old 2008-08-07, 5:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I was able to run two nicely on a 10 LPM Regalia. When I get home, I can dial it down to 7 LPM (what the OG15 puts out) and see how they do on that.
Thanks Kim, that would be great.

Kym
Old 2008-08-08, 12:29am

I have been thinking about these crickets all day! I think if Kim says they run fine on the 7-8lpm, I will sell my Lynx and buy two crickets.
I hope they do!

Kym
Old 2008-08-08, 12:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw View Post
kbinkster, Can we order from you? If not, could you please post a link or address that we can purchase from?

I don't know much about where to get what yet and am in Canada, but have a MN mailing address for my US purchases.

Thanks!
Andrea, probably order through Glass Torch Technology, google will find it.

Kym
Old 2008-08-08, 2:47am
Formerly known as LT

Oh that's so cute!!! I want a pink one!!

Old 2008-08-08, 4:23am
I wanna go back...

Quote:
Andrea, probably order through Glass Torch Technology, google will find it.

Kym
Hi Kym, So far they don't have it listed on their site, so that's why I was wondering about where to get it, but Thanks! There is still so much to try to know about where is best to buy what!

Old 2008-08-08, 7:04am

I soooooo want to see a PURPLE one!!!!
(I told my mom & dad that they were making a PURPLE torch & she said "so, when are you getting it" & my dad said "what is this going to cost us? your birthday isn't until January" I had to explain I couldn't run it without an oxycon or an oxy supply--& the difference from my hothead *giggle*)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-08, 8:46am

Kim Binkster said they were accepting orders through the site so you could send an email and ask.

Cheers
Kym

Quote:
Hi Kym, So far they don't have it listed on their site, so that's why I was wondering about where to get it, but Thanks! There is still so much to try to know about where is best to buy what!
Old 2008-08-08, 2:51pm
I wanna go back...

Thanks Kym!

Old 2008-08-09, 8:04am

I wonder why they called it a cricket? Doesn't really fit in with the rest of the lineup? I think they could have called it something more appropriate like, a kitten? That would fit. LOL

Kym
Old 2008-08-09, 9:11am

yep...*everyone* would want a KITTEN (in PURPLE!)....
(can you imagine??)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-09, 9:47am
PyronamixK

Quote:

Thanks!
Eventually, you will be able to order from me, if you would like to. I think that the first run will be sold only through GTT, though, unless I can talk Wally into letting me sell some to you guys.
Old 2008-08-09, 10:06am
PyronamixK

Quote:
I wonder why they called it a cricket? Doesn't really fit in with the rest of the lineup? I think they could have called it something more appropriate like, a kitten? That would fit. LOL

Kym
Kitten would have been cute, but I named it the Cricket because it is so cute, too! I guess "Cricket" reminded me of "Chicklet" and all the colors are like Chicklets.

The guys were thinking of naming it the Chipmunk. I told Willy that if they named it that, the logo could be a little Chipmunk holding a bead.
Old 2008-08-09, 1:30pm
California grrl

Smile Kbinkster ~ Since I have the somewhat lame EX-15 ....

Do you think this would work better for larger pieces than a mini cc (with propane btw) ? Noting it doesnt have the blue knob will it also have a pinpoint, and what size is mouth/holes area? I really want a GTT ....... * fingers crossed! IMHO ~BIG yes KITTEN is a much better name - cuz flame like a kitten PURRRRRRs tyvm 4 yur help

Last edited by WILDFYRE; 2008-08-09 at 1:31pm. Reason: added comment
Old 2008-08-09, 8:28pm

Would like to order a purple one. Sounds great, the fact that it will run on NG , standard household presure. Sent you a PM.

Old 2008-08-09, 9:16pm
Boro Brat

I work on a Mirage but I am dying to try one of these. Why is that?? I am such a GTT ho!!! I think that is the only answer.

Old 2008-08-10, 4:55pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

meee toooo!
I want one!

Old 2008-08-10, 5:43pm

can one get a finer flame than on a Lynx?

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-08-10, 6:45pm
Evil Glass Enabler

I like the name Kitten too and a kitten could be holding a bead. Just ask my kittens! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-08-10, 6:49pm
Totally Lost

Did I miss how long they will be sold at the $139 price?

Old 2008-08-10, 6:58pm
giggety-giggety

I haven't seen them listed anywhere where you can actually purchase them yet. When someone sees that they're available, can you pm me? I like the green and gold one, but now....boo hoo....Brett Farve is gone. heheh....hehehh....

My etsy: