Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-25, 12:36am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Ohhh butterfly those are awesome!!! What did you use for the first set if I may ask?? I love those

I just got my new camera ( and love that one too.... ) so here is a quick snapshot of my boro beadies

have a great day all!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-25, 3:38am
boro color bender

A Cuda should be at 20 PSI Oxy and 3-5 Propane.

Beautiful Suzanne!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-25, 6:43am
Nah, not really...;)

Thank you Lynn, e.mort, and Suzanne for your kind words.
I am so excited about all the possibilities in the future w/ boro and I need all the encouragement I can get!

Suzanne, you go girl! I hope you had a great 30th birthday! Congrats on you new camera!

PS Pomegranite, DAP frit, clear

Old 2006-02-25, 6:47am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Just got my assortment from Smiley, and I can't wait to see how many beads I can screw up until I learn what to do. I have a WHOLE day to torch!!!!!!!!!!
The rods are clean and labeled and packed beautifully. Musta been the wife huh????

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-02-25, 6:59am
Gone Fishing!

Oh.. butterfly... I just did that same set on top.. did you use the pomagran base and the AP large frit? LOVE THOSE LENTILS... I cant seem to do lentils...hmmmmm

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-02-25, 7:09am
Nah, not really...;)

Holly, yes pomegranite and DAP! from the 'Cookbook'!
I was/am stuck on the lentils, I don't know why I just want to get more depth!

Have fun beadgal!

Old 2006-02-25, 9:53am
traumaqueen

just a quick question., I am working on another pc right now, and my beads look so dark! Do they look as dark to you guys as well, or do you see the purples and blues in them?

suzanne

Old 2006-02-25, 10:24am
Nah, not really...;)

I see a lot of nice vibrant blues more so than purple in your posted picture.
BTW: What color is that blue?
I have a hard time taking pics in general, but especially of boro.

Old 2006-02-25, 10:54am

Holly, it sounds like ur reg might be booged. No biggie though, find a local welding shop an they should be able to point yuo in the right direction for local maintence. Ive had to have mine rebuilt be4 costs about 15$. Sounds like a diaphram issue. Do you loosen the "T" on ur reg every time you open ur tanks?? This will help prolong the life of ur reg dramaticly. If ur on cylinders and open the tank there @ like 16000 PSI(belive i heard that somewhere). Hope thisll help. Did u have the propane tank purged?
B
Old 2006-02-25, 11:08am
traumaqueen

ehhh.... now this is tricky Carrie, it's turquesa and I believe its northstar with just random dots of caramel ( not lustre ) and it's such a pretty blue. I did make a transparent base bead and just one round of the blue since the boro colors are so much more saturated then the softglass colors. I just love boro, and find it very soothing since I don't have the immages of the beads in my head yet. I just make what ever I think looks nice instead of what I do with soft glass. With soft glass I have a bead in my mind and that is what I am trying to make, with boro I let the glass decide what it wants to be

Old 2006-02-25, 11:30am
daughter and I

Carrie and Suzanne - awesome colors! I'm get to play tomorrow

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-02-25, 8:37pm
boro color bender

EWS encased in DAP. Pull out to a thick stringer. Wrap into a disk bead. Put clear dots on side and more inbetween on opposite side. Melt in and say OOOoohhhhh. I know it's cryptic... it's supposed to be like a riddle. Have fun! I'm off to Canada for a few days. I'll be back Wednesday.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-26, 2:25am
traumaqueen

I hope ews is egyptian white sand???? ( I figured out DAP pretty soon)

I don't have that color yet, off to order

Old 2006-02-26, 11:44am
DSDWC

Hey Brent,
Just wanted to give a report. I have been running my Barracuda on a M-20 for about a month now. I find That the torch runs at about 80% of what it will do with a tank. It works great for almost everything I do. I will be keeping the tank around for larger work such as pulling cane from Richeinbach rod. I have not been to the gas company in the past month and that has saved me at least $100 and probably 3 hrs of time. I am really happy with the generator. Can't wait to see what the M-30 is like. Might have to put my M-20 up for sale if its all its cracked up to be.
Peace out,
Trey

Old 2006-02-26, 12:01pm
addicted 2 meltin glass

Default LOVE BoRo!!!

Hi Everyone
I have been playin with moretti for two years and this last month I have been playin with boro. I totally love it cause melts slower and easier 2 sculpt. I use a barracuda when meltin but have found I can use my minor too.
Old 2006-02-27, 2:24pm
Old enough to know better

Question, question!! This is probably already in this thread someplace and I really did read the whole thing but I honestly can't remember and I really don't want to read it all again. Are all clears created equal? I was just encasing and I got bunches of little teeny bubbles. I did pluck off the end before I used it but got the bubbles anyway. Could I be getting it too hot? IU didn't think that was an issue with pyrex.

I checked liquid O2 with my welding supply store and they will deliver residential. He said it's the equivalent to 20 of the large tanks. And only $95 to fill it. Plus tank rental. I could do this! Now DH wants to know why I bothered getting the second concentrator....he just doesn't understand how these wants become needs.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-27, 2:27pm
ManBearPig

It depends on the color. They are all compatible, but certain colors can't take the heat like others will, and they will boil and make the small bubbles like you are talking about. It could also be that your clear wasn't hot enough.

Old 2006-02-27, 3:36pm
lov'in life!!!

Carrie, Carrie, Carrie...where are those beads girl??? I wanna see. It was so nice talking to you today!

My beadies are enticing me and calling my name from the hot kiln...those damn little buggers! I can't wait to see'em

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-27, 6:12pm
Nah, not really...;)

Hey Krissa!
Finally.........I found the time to upload this picture. It has been crazy around here!

These were at the suggestion of Mr. Smiley, EWS encased w/ DAP

Old 2006-02-27, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
It depends on the color. They are all compatible, but certain colors can't take the heat like others will, and they will boil and make the small bubbles like you are talking about. It could also be that your clear wasn't hot enough.
So I can get the clear as hot as I want? Perhaps I just had a strange rod or something. Can scratches in the rod cause bubbles as they can for soft glass?

Great beads Carrie!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-27, 7:39pm
lov'in life!!!

Carrie...those rock on girl!!! Beautiful colors. I can't wait to see one in person, yippeeee, I get a Carrie bead I DO get to keep it right?

Old 2006-02-28, 3:10am
Nah, not really...;)

Thank you Tanya & Krissa! I need all the encouragement I can get

In my photo, the beads look darker than they actually are
I am going to take a pic outside to see if there is a difference.

And yes Krissa, you get to keep the bead!

Old 2006-02-28, 6:30am
Back from the Dark Side

Absolutely gorgeous Carrie! Way to make that color rock!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-28, 9:45am
Nah, not really...;)

Thank you Lynn!

Ok I took a couple photos outside:

Old 2006-02-28, 10:46am
lov'in life!!!

WOWOWOWOW Carrie. Those beads are gorgeous! I like the pics outside...they really show off the colors.

Here's mine that I did last night. I lost the battle with one that didn't want to be taken off the madrel. It FINALLY let go but with a FY and broke in three pieces! Hrmmph

Last edited by FlameDancer; 2006-02-28 at 2:17pm.
Old 2006-02-28, 10:57am
Nah, not really...;)

You got COLORS! What are you talking about?
I really like the ruffles too, nice touch

I am out the door and heading to Asheville. Mountain Glass here I come! WooHoo.
Have an awesome day everybody!

Old 2006-02-28, 1:47pm

I think I know what the problem was with the clear - I don't think it was boro. When I opened the kiln this morning two beads on the same mandrel were in bits. That explains why I was getting the bubbling. Now I know what incompatible glasses do when combined!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-28, 2:07pm
Back from the Dark Side

Carrie and Krissa, you two knock my socks off! Don't ya just love the stuff?!?!? Here are some more colors I've been playing with

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-28, 2:17pm
lov'in life!!!

Awww, thanks so much Lynn Yours are great! I love that green, what color is it? And, that 2nd set, I LOVE the whispiness (is that a word, lol) in those. Beautiful and great job.

Old 2006-02-28, 3:12pm
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks Krissa! The green is a cane with Green Tea for a base

~
~
~