Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2011-04-15, 11:39am
ManBearPig

Default Anyone heard anything about BeadFest glass classes?

I submitted to teach classes at BeadFest in August, and haven't heard anything back yet. They haven't listed any glass classes on their site either. Earlier in the year they said they would have them listed by the end of February. Then by the end of March. Now it says "check back soon". It's getting to the point where I need to ask off work to be able to go to the show if I'm teaching. If I don't do it soon, I won't be able to make it.

I've e-mailed them several times and called them several times with no response. Usually they have all the classes listed in February. Not sure what's going on this year.

Has anyone heard anything from them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-17, 6:36pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Chad,

I so hope there are classes and that you will be teaching.
Jaclyn emailed me back and said they were working on it.
I called beg. of March and they said by the end of March so I emailed her here is what she said about the lampwork classes:

"Jaclyn Eriksen to me
show details Mar 30

Hi Rowyn,

I am sorry that it is taking us a little longer than anticipated to finalize the logistics of the lampworking classes.

We are still figuring out a few things and are hoping to have everything finalized within the next couple of weeks. "

I, too, wish they would hurry up, it's alot to plan for. If you hear anything please post, I'm just bursting to see what classes are offered this year.

Angel Blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-18, 7:28am
ManBearPig

If you are on Facebook, they just posted asking

Quote:
Who is looking forward to Bead Fest Philadelphia already? What classes have you signed up for and what else is on your wish list?
Maybe we should reply telling them that lampworking classes are on our wish list...

http://www.facebook.com/BeadFest

Old 2011-04-18, 8:25pm

I was looking for the classes too!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-04-21, 7:43am
Who? Me?

I did just post on the website. A received a very prompt reply in the form of a private message. Don't know why they wouldn't post it so everyone knew Here it is...

Sorry for the unexpected delay on lampworking classes, we are working on bringing some new teachers to the event so we are still finalizing sessions. We are shooting for early may we appreciate your patience. Beth Mauro- Marketing Manager for Bead Fest

Last edited by cindyinpa; 2011-04-21 at 7:51am.
Old 2011-04-21, 5:02pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hmmmmmmmmm, "some new teachers"??? what about the ones who fill their classes already? I'm all for change but something about this seems bizarre. Does anyone know who is providing the set ups for the lw classes? Is it carlisle? maybe they know?

and shouldn't they then have the courtesy to let some "older" teachers know?
I'll find them on facebook and post my 2 cents after dinner.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-04-24, 7:39pm
ManBearPig

Wonder why they would reply to you so quickly, but can't be bothered to reply to me after numerous e-mails and phone calls? Worst part is that by the time they decide, chances are all the hotel rooms will be gone and the people that wanted to take lampworking classes will have already spent all their money on other classes.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2011-04-24 at 7:45pm.
Old 2011-04-25, 7:17am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

In my short experience with Interweave and Bead Fest as an exhibitor, I've found that their e-mail communication skills are poor. I don't know if they are overwhelmed or incompetent.

Old 2011-04-25, 9:41am
Who? Me?

Ummmm, I think I need to clarify my response I actually posted on their facebook page. Maybe that is why they replied so quickly??? Just a thought...

Sorry if I created any confusion. I humbly beg for your forgiveness!
Cindy
Old 2011-04-26, 6:41am
ManBearPig

Got an e-mail back today (two weeks after sending it):

Quote:
The logistics are taking a little longer then planned.

I will let you know as soon as things are finalized.
Pretty informative, huh?

Old 2011-04-28, 10:10am

What the heck? They can't find any glass teachers?? I guess they have never been to LE!!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-04-29, 8:00am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

From a discussion I had with two Interweave editors earlier this year, I'm pretty sure that no one in the company is familiar with LE. That makes sense since the Bead Fest events center on jewelry making and not bead making.

In 2010 I was an exhibitor at Bead Fest Santa Fe in the hotel venue--La Fonda. Bead Fest Santa Fe has two separate venues. This year the hotel venue was the Hilton. After reading the less-than-glowing reviews on LE about the Hilton when Bead Fest was held there in 2009, I e-mailed the show contact asking for specific information on exactly where the vendors tables would be in the Hilton. Simple enough question.

I never heard from her, and I told the two Interweave editors that. The editors recognized me from 2010 Bead Fest in Santa Fe and had stopped by my table in Tucson to chat. I also told them about my concerns about the Hilton given what I had read on LE. Blank stares from them. They were not pleased and said that they would have her contact me. I'm still waiting!

Old 2011-05-02, 1:41pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
What the heck? They can't find any glass teachers?? I guess they have never been to LE!!
I know they can find them. I know four teachers personally (including myself) who have submitted to teach classes. All of them are as in the dark as I am.

Old 2011-05-03, 1:32pm

Well I have plans to go to that show so I hope someone ends up teaching glass!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-05-05, 11:39am
Triumphantly Knit!

Honestly, I just signed up to take a class somewhere else.
I may still attend the show, to support the vendors if I have any cash, but I don't like to support venues that jerk people around.
Whether or not they have their act together even a child knows how to respond in time to a question esp. when that person is going to make the venue money.
I guess lampwork is not important to them.
I went to their facebook page but coudln't see how to post. I won't 'like' them 'cause I don't like them right now. I was really looking forward to this and maybe by august if there's room left in a class I might have the money to take it, but my skills need help and I can't wait for them.
Chad, I'm sorry you and the other good teachers are being treated this way. I know it's income for you, too, but that's just no way to treat your 'employees' who are bringing the people in. I really wanted to take one of you classes, again, now that I have more experience.
good luck everyone
namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-05-05, 1:06pm
ManBearPig

I think you have to "Like" them to be able to post on their wall...

Old 2011-05-09, 7:31am
ManBearPig

I noticed they took down the part about lampworking classes coming soon. I guess they aren't doing any this year. I know some vendors aren't going to be happy about that. I'm wondering how well people like ABR and Wale will do selling lampworking supplies and there not being any lampworking classes there.

Old 2011-05-09, 8:21am

That is really bad...Maybe they had fire marshall trouble though.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-05-09, 8:46am
ManBearPig

I don't know. The show has been in the same place for the past 3 or 4 years and they have always had lampworking classes.

It would be nice if the show organizers would actually reply to someone though...

Old 2011-05-10, 11:35am

I was also going to teach at Philly this year. I even submitted my class synopsis and pictures to print in the ad.

Haven't heard anything back. We will still be there with our booths as always. So, lampworkers, there is still a GREAT reason to come to the show.

Hope to see some of you there.

Old 2011-05-10, 1:28pm
ManBearPig

Yeah. I don't know what their deal is. I've been teaching at that show for 6 years and I've never seen them treat people like this.

Old 2011-05-10, 3:16pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I emailed them again,yesterday, and this time no immediate polite response like last time. For people who have hundreds of people waiting to pay them hundreds of dollars for classes, they sure don't have good business sense let alone class nor manners, imo. I'm angry that I was led along because I was really looking forward to this. I'm glad I found someone else close to me who teaches, but I wanted to take advantage of the out of town teachers.
I think it will hurt the vendors, because people who would have come from out of town for lw classes aren't going to come.
This area is so devoid of any good classes and lw people. there's some in so jersey but central jersey, bf pa was the thing to look forward to. Oh well....

Old 2011-05-11, 2:38pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I got an email from them saying there were "logistical issues" and that is why they "had to pass" on offering lampworking classes.

sucks

Old 2011-05-11, 3:33pm
Who? Me?

This really stinks. I was going to take my first class ever there this year. You are right, irjc, there is basically nothing in this area. What a bummer.
Old 2011-05-11, 6:09pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
I got an email from them saying there were "logistical issues" and that is why they "had to pass" on offering lampworking classes.

sucks
It would be nice of them to let the people that submitted classes know about that. Strange that I had to hear about it here and not from them.

Also strange that they have had lampworking classes in that same venue for the past 3 years...

Old 2011-05-12, 7:30pm
ManBearPig

I finally got an e-mail back from them.

Quote:
Hi Chad,

We have decided to not have lampworking classes this year.
Thank you so much for offering to teach.
Thanks,
Jaclyn

Old 2011-05-12, 8:17pm
Hobby Junkie

That stinks! That's one of the shows that is actually local!

Old 2011-05-13, 12:40pm
ManBearPig

I love how they haven't announced on the site or on their facebook page (where many people are asking about them) that they aren't doing lampwork classes.

What frustrates me the most is the complete lack of communication. I called many times and sent over 20 e-mails. No calls back and only a couple of e-mail replies, and all of them pretty uninformative.

What was the delay? Why did they decide not to have lampwork classes? Seems that the least they can do is communicate with us...

Old 2011-05-13, 12:43pm
Hobby Junkie

I looked at the class list. I can't say that I'm impressed. Only 2 classes really jumped out at me.

Old 2011-05-13, 3:49pm
Newfoundland lover!

That is too bad. I went to that show once and thought it was really good. I am going to Bead and Button this year and can't do both. I did have a good time before, it is closer to me, too.
Hope things change... for everyone, lampworkers, teachers & shoppers!

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.