Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2011-08-28, 6:42pm

Default Soft Glass Invitational

Here is the offiacial announcement

Soft Glass Invitational

What ----Soft Glass Invitational is a three day soft glass retreat that will offer up to 30 hours of torch time . We plan on having between 50 and 80 artists and enthusiasts attend. We will have the use of all five of the existing building at the Glass Blowing Center. This is the facility where Art Glass Invitational has been held for the past ten years. An “A” ticket will cost $250 and that will give that participant a dedicated work station that they may use by themselves, or share with others. A “B” ticket will cost $200 and that will give that participant access to all buildings and demos, and they may share with any friends that have a torch station .
We plan on having at least eight live (not taped) demos by very well know lampworkers over the three days. There will be an eight foot high video screen monitor. Most demos will be an hour long. A couple may be longer. After doing a demo, the teacher will return to their own torch station and work just like all the others working in the building. Participants are encouraged to work, wander, ask questions, share information, and have fun. If some one wants to sit and work for the full thirty hours, then they can.
This will be an annual event , always in mid-May.
The main purpose of this retreat is to share the glass experience and teach and learn. We will adopt the motto that AGI has used for the past ten years.” Every teacher is a student, and every student is a teacher”. These are words from Tom and Elaine Doner, the owners of the Glass Blowing Center.
The true reason for this event is to make use of this great facility by having this retreat. This facility can be rented by groups of students, or teachers , so that they may plan something on their own. Single building can be rented or the entire facility.
We are also looking into having a short , simple class on fusing. This could be an extra small cost for those involved.

Where----Soft Glass Invitational will be held in Hilliards, Pa. This is located roughly sixty miles North of Pittsburg, Pa. This site is pretty rural, surrounded by streams and heavily wooded. No hotel right close. So, we are looking to secure a block of rooms in Butler, Pa . About twenty miles away.We are in talks with the tourism board , having them recommend a hotel that might have rooms in the $60 or less a night. We are looking at getting a bus to drive everyone in to start at 9 AM each day. Returning at 9PM the first two days(Thursday, May17 and Friday, May1. Saturday, May 19, will start at 9AM. There will be a BBQ/party starting at 7 PM. Returning bus will be between 9PM and 10 PM.
Lunches will be provided.
This area has VERY POOR cell phone coverage, and most that have been here, love that fact. There should be an area for WI FI at the facility, so that e-mails and posting pics can be done.
We will have information on rooms on our web site.

When----May 17-18-19 , 2012. To become an annual event in mid-May .

Who----The participants will be soft glass workers from beginners to advanced, to very advanced. All levels of talent will be there. It will also be open to people that have never worked in soft glass, or even people that have never worked with any glass. A person wanting to get into glass beadmaking could sign up with a “B” ticket and hang out the three days . Someone will have that person make a bead.

Saturday Bead Bazaar----on Saturday from noon till 5PM we will be having a bead bazaar. If you wish to participate , just sign up. We should have three to four feet of table space for each person wanting to sell. This will be offered for free. As in, it comes with your “A” or “B” ticket. This will be very simple and easy.

Free Trade Zone- In the middle of the Lewis building there will be a “Free Trade Zone’ on Thursday and Friday. This area will have tables when you can put out extra, old, or used equipment , torches, kilns, glass, hand tools, DVDs or loose beads, jewelry, or what have you. Buy, sell, or trade. No commission . Just be sure and collect sales tax.

On Site help—Barry Laffler will be the onsite technical person.He has been the tech guy for many well attended events similar to this. He is a scientific glass blower and he will be doing some fun demos like beer bottle ducks and penny bottles.

Town of Butler--- Tom and Elaine have had a very good relationship with the town. They have provided a BBQ pig roast for AGI in the past. We will be working with the entire town. Teaching mayor(a woman) and a person from the arts council how to make beads. Get a live interview of this as it happens the first day of the retreat. Then run a newspaper story on Friday and invite the town to come by on Saturday for the bead bazaar.

Corporate sponsors—There will be many corporate sponsors helping out to get this event started. There will be donations of torches and kilns and glass directly to the facility so that some one wanting to rent it in the future will have torches and kilns and many hand tools already there.

Soft Glass Invitational Update Oct 13
Barb and I have been working on adding a private teaching studio area to be available during SGI. This is a small 12 by 12 room in the rear of the Bandu building. Good light, ventilation and up to three torches. It will be available to the teachers first, then to any attendees. The idea is to have this room available to a teacher that wants to offer a one on one demo, or a demo for five or six people or even a hands-on “mini class’ using up to three torches. The cost to rent the room will be $15 per hour. There would be a limit of no more than two hours rental by any person or persons. Any arrangements and payment between teachers and students is between them. The intent is to have this room available so that if someone wants to have a special private glass session, then it can happen.
The second thing that we have planned, is to let people know that if they want to rent any single building at The Glassblowing Center , they may do that , either before or after SGI. The rental will be between the teachers and Tom and Elaine Doner but we will advertise it on the website. There are five building that have multiple torch stations. An example would be renting the Barry Laffler building for $110 for one day. It has 14 torch stations. By renting the building, the teacher becomes the hosting studio that usually gets half of all money given for classes.You can get more information directly from the center. Ask for Tom or Elaine. http://www.glass123.com/

Lewis and Barb will not keep any donations. They will become the property of the Glass Blowing Center.
This is not a Crystal Myths production. It will be a Barbaloo Production. Thank you Sara Sally LaGrande for the cute name you gave to me and Barb.
Lewis C Wilson and Barbara Svetlick

Last edited by LewisW; 2011-10-12 at 12:25pm. Reason: Added Oct 13 Update
Old 2011-08-28, 7:06pm

Wow, Lewis, I didn't think you and Barb had pulled this thing together already! Barb has mentioned it to me a few times over the past couple of weeks, but it sounds perfectly wonderful. You are forcing me to get back on the torch so I'll be able to learn and share while I'm there. I can't wait!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-28, 8:01pm

Holy crap, Lewis! I just talked to you yesterday! And I know you haven't been back from AGI all that long, so I'm amazed at what you've pulled together so far and how fast. Stuff that's beyond me.

I'm honored and humbled to be at your service as teacher and student, and whatever else you want me to do! As you know, I'm between organizations right now , and I have been missing it. So I accept and I'm there.

I don't know if you saw it on the ISGB Forum, but I had posted something I entitled "Gathering Nirvana" on the "Yes, but..." thread I think it was, and what you've described sounds alot like my nirvana. I like the idea of going to the same place, working with the community leaders is brilliant, and it seems like a quadruple win for the owners of the property, the small community that's nearby, the attendees, of course!, and the glass community at large. I'm hoping it does become a yearly event.

The pricing is spot on -- that's normally the least amount I pay for a table at a show these days, most times more, so it sounds like a lot for one's money.

I think it sounds very affordable, too, even for these economic times, especially with the fact that attendees will have, what? 30 hours of torch time if they want? Your ideas of the swap area is good -- I've seen lots of folks trying to sell equipment and other stuff related these days, and the bead sale on Saturday sounds like a good plan.

It's been two years since I've been able to even entertain the idea of attending something like this, so thank you for even bothering to do it! I'm more excited than I've been in a while.

So, Soft Glass Invitational, eh? (no "Art Glass Times with Soda Lime" or "Soda Limers' Art Glass Blast", "Artfully Hot Soda Lime Times?" I'm just teasing you now.)

Best,
Patti

PS. There's also another section in this area of the forum I noticed here on LE called "Classes, Retreats, Get Togethers, etc."
In fact, the ability to start out upon your own impulse is fundamental to the gift of keeping going upon your own terms, not to mention the further and more fulfilling gift of getting started all over again -- never resting upon the oars of success or in the doldrums of disappointment....Getting started, keeping going, getting started again -- in art and in life, it seems to me this is the essential rhythm.... --Seamus Heaney

Old 2011-08-28, 8:17pm

Thanks, Pati, I will post there. Lewsi
Old 2011-08-29, 6:55am

We will have the web site working in 3-4 days. The e-mail that we will be using is Looie@softglassinvitational.com
Old 2011-08-29, 8:10am
sunscreen me baby

I'm not sure why you are forced to announce this early, but is sure sounds awesome! For those of us hesitant to do AGI I love it.

~

Old 2011-08-29, 8:25am

Barry Laffler talked with someone that came by the Glass Blowing Center. During that conversation, he mentioned that there was something in the works for a mid-May soft glass retreat that would be using the facilities that AGI uses. He told her not to talk about it, as we were a couple weeks away from a formal announcement.
She posted on ISGB about an event that she called "Soft Glass Broads' . Someone else chimed in and said that they would like to come. So I very quickly put together in one half hour, the long post from yesterday. Not the way I wanted to announce it, but I needed to get the true word out.
We will have the web site up in a few day. It will be Softglassinvitational.com
Lewis C Wilson
Old 2011-08-29, 10:30am

I just went in and edited my first post on this thread. It now has the official bussiness plan that shows what we are doing.
Lewis C Wilson
Old 2011-08-29, 10:45am
I ate a big red candle!

This sounds really neat! And it's within driving distance

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-08-29, 10:53am

Actually , our target group is people within a driving distance of 300 miles.
Lewis
Old 2011-08-29, 11:34am

Sounds super cool!
Old 2011-08-29, 11:52am

Web site is up. it is pretty simple now, but we will be expanding on it. Looie

http://softglassinvitational.com/home.html
Old 2011-08-29, 1:53pm

Kimberly, not sure what your comment of " Ah, oh well" means. We just figured that most would be within driving distance so as to keep costs down. You are more than welcome to fly in from where you are or drive cross country.
Lewis
Old 2011-08-29, 1:55pm

Oh my god, I just saw that this is Kimberly Aflfeck. We would love for you to attend. My brains has been a little confused with this new baby.
Looie

Last edited by LewisW; 2011-08-29 at 2:10pm.
Old 2011-08-29, 1:56pm
Critter Mom

I wish I lived within driving distance

Old 2011-08-30, 9:09am
sunscreen me baby

Just because you aren't their target market doesn't mean you can't go. I wear Justice t-shirts because they fit me well. Their target market is tweens. I'm almost 50

~

Old 2011-08-30, 9:24am
Critter Mom

No, I really wish I lived close enough to drive there...unfortunately I'm in Oregon which is just a little too far for my check book.

Old 2011-08-30, 9:25am
sunscreen me baby

Ah. I get that. Glass Stock is too far for mine

~

Old 2011-08-30, 3:25pm

Just noticed the date on the main web page says May 17-19 2011?!?!
Old 2011-08-31, 7:44am

This sounds awesome. Hope to be in attendance. See you next week Lewis!

Old 2011-08-31, 12:40pm
DSDWC

This is going to be one super fantastic event!!!!!

Old 2011-08-31, 1:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

I'm starting a special savings account right now!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-08-31, 1:15pm

Thank you Trey, for becoming one of our teachers. Lewis
Old 2011-08-31, 1:48pm

This sounds like just what I have been looking for. Now I just have to skim off the grocery bill to save for the weekend. I'm going to try to make it.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-08-31, 2:17pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I want to go! I love the Glass Blowing Center!
I am frantically trying to find graduation dates ... but why? I think I have time, lol.

--
--
--

Old 2011-09-01, 11:27am

This sounds Soooooo awesome!!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-09-02, 6:49pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

I am also looking forward to this event....

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2011-09-02, 7:27pm

Soft Glass Invitational Update
September 2, 2011
http://softglassinvitational.com/home.html
Barb and I are pleased to announce the names of the first six instructors. We are waiting to hear back from a couple more.In alphabetical order …
Patti Cahill
Trey Cornette
Wesley Fleming
Cindy Lemmo
Sara Sally LeGrande
Lewis C Wilson
There will be further updates on the website. Please check there for more information. Click on “business plan” for the full details.
By October 1 we should be ready to send out applications for this soft glass retreat.
Lewis C Wilson and Barb Svetlick
And yes, she is my wife, I just do not need her to take my name because she has her own following with her beads and writing.

Last edited by LewisW; 2011-09-02 at 8:16pm.
Old 2011-09-04, 7:55am

Can we camp there?

Old 2011-09-04, 7:58am

There is camping available on site at no charge. If you have an RV and need power, it is $5 a night. There is a big fire pit(ten feet across) with wood that you can keep burning as long as you want. Right now there are three that plan to camp. Two in a motor home.
About October 1 we will be ready to take applications.
Lewis