Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-01-15, 9:06am
da General

Teague - there is another Cuda for sale in the Garage Sale for $675.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-01-15, 12:59pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Thanks Hayley! I'm having a bit of Cashflow problem right now though, so I can't be buying another torch right now.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-02-18, 6:10am
Knob Creek Glass

Virginia, can you explain more about the Hellcat centerfire. I just used mine this weekend (had it since the Gathering), and the center fire was not what was expected. It may need cleaning.
I could not get a very good pinpoint flame, unless I turned the oxygen on on the outerring.
Old 2008-03-10, 7:07pm

Please consider GTT

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-03-10, 8:26pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Ben -

Be more specific, what GTT torch? I was specifically looking for a two stage torch so that I could run it on two oxygen sources, an oxy con and a tank. So for a GTT that would be a phantom which is a lot more expensive then the other options and I don't know if the inner fire would run on an oxycon or not.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-03-10, 8:57pm

A Hellcat is able to run full out on what type of concentrators? Haven't hooked mine up yet, was just going to run it off of a tank.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-03-10, 9:19pm
Mandrel Slayer

Talking

I have a Hellcat and just got my second M-15. It is smoking hot but I hear 3 M-15s will run it full tilt.

I love my Hellcat.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-03-11, 1:12am
Knob Creek Glass

Three M-15's on a Hellcat are great!!!!!
Old 2008-03-20, 9:51am

Cool Both Barracudas down for the count

Hello everyone~
I haven't been around for a while. Life is too busy with being a Mom, business woman and a lampworker! My work is sold in CA.
For the past four years, all I have used are Barracudas. However, I have to say I am getting fed up. My newer one has been to the factory twice. It has been dangerous, so I stopped using it. It caught fire for the secone time near the knobs. AAAAAAA!!!!!
My older Barracuda is tempermental with the outer flame. So, that one is going back too. I was told my Bethlehem if I sent them back again, they would charge me for repairs. It was manufactuer error with my new one and the old one just needed cleaning on the inside.
Having said that, I am thinking of buying a Knight burner. I am waiting until I go to Lori Robbins' for a week and then decide. She bought a dragon 21 and she said it worked fine. However, I work larger than she does, so I might have to spend the extra on the larger one. Any thoughts?
I look forward to reponses.
Thanks.
Terry Sieber
(Misty Creek Studio)
Old 2008-03-22, 12:46am

Thanks for letting me know about the Hellcat. I will have a chance to play around with several torches in Florida for a week. I hope that helps me make a good choice. In the mean while, my newer Barracuda is going back to the factory for the SECOND time...
I will keep folks posted.
Many thanks.
Terry Sieber
(Misty Creek Studio)
Old 2008-04-04, 4:06pm

I am not sure if anyone will reply or not but I could use some help as I am looking to upgrade my torch. I currently have a minor and was looking at a Wildcat but now I am considering the barracuda. I definitely want to try boro. I also want to make more sculptures and thought the fine flame would help would help with small detail.

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Old 2008-04-04, 4:35pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesorobeads View Post
I am not sure if anyone will reply or not but I could use some help as I am looking to upgrade my torch. I currently have a minor and was looking at a Wildcat but now I am considering the barracuda. I definitely want to try boro. I also want to make more sculptures and thought the fine flame would help would help with small detail.

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
A Wildcat is not in the same class of torch as a Barracuda, a Hellcat is. The 'Cuda, Hellcat and Knight Bullet are all 2-stage torch that have an inner ring and an outer ring. In most cases, unless you get/refigure to a 4-stud, you either use the inner fire or both inner and outer. When you have both inner and outer firing, all three are very comparable (everyone will have a different preference). But if you use a lot of soft glass and want to only use the inner fire, then I would choose the Barracuda. Here is why:

The inner fire of these torches are usually the smaller torch of its respective line (makes sense from a business point of view, why reinvent the wheel?). So . . . as I understand it . . .

Bethlehem Barracuda's inner fire is a Piranha
Carlisle Hellcat's inner fire is a Mini CC
Knight Bullet's inner fire is a Little Dragon

Both the Mini CC and Little Dragon are entry level torches (like your Minor) while the Piranha (which is discontinued) is one up from the base level Minnow.

Thus, if you go with a Barracuda, you will not only upgrade to a Cuda, you will upgrade to a Piranha for soft glass.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-04, 11:02pm

Thanks for your help Haley.

Debbie
Old 2008-04-09, 6:58am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
A Wildcat is not in the same class of torch as a Barracuda, a Hellcat is. The 'Cuda, Hellcat and Knight Bullet are all 2-stage torch that have an inner ring and an outer ring. In most cases, unless you get/refigure to a 4-stud, you either use the inner fire or both inner and outer. When you have both inner and outer firing, all three are very comparable (everyone will have a different preference). But if you use a lot of soft glass and want to only use the inner fire, then I would choose the Barracuda. Here is why:

The inner fire of these torches are usually the smaller torch of its respective line (makes sense from a business point of view, why reinvent the wheel?). So . . . as I understand it . . .

Bethlehem Barracuda's inner fire is a Piranha
Carlisle Hellcat's inner fire is a Mini CC
Knight Bullet's inner fire is a Little Dragon

Both the Mini CC and Little Dragon are entry level torches (like your Minor) while the Piranha (which is discontinued) is one up from the base level Minnow.

Thus, if you go with a Barracuda, you will not only upgrade to a Cuda, you will upgrade to a Piranha for soft glass.

Hope this helps.
The Mini CC and Little Dragon are not entry level torches. They are much hotter than a Minor (and a Piranha). They are a definite step up from a Bethlehem. I wouldn't even put the Barracuda in the same league as a Hellcat or Bullet. It's much more expensive, doesn't get nearly as hot, and doesn't have as wide a range of flame.

Old 2008-04-09, 7:20am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
The Mini CC and Little Dragon are not entry level torches. They are much hotter than a Minor (and a Piranha). They are a definite step up from a Bethlehem. I wouldn't even put the Barracuda in the same league as a Hellcat or Bullet. It's much more expensive, doesn't get nearly as hot, and doesn't have as wide a range of flame.
I was going to say the same thing (about the Mini CC/Piranha). Moving from a Mini CC to a Piranha flame is no "upgrade." Personally, I also prefer the Minor over the Piranha because of the Piranha's flame size, but YMMV. The main reason I wouldn't consider using a Barracuda is my intense dislike of the Piranha.
Old 2008-04-09, 8:41am
da General

That's personal preference - I think the Piranha is much better than the MiniCC, Little Dragon and the Bobcat (have used all of them).

Chad - what would you call them then if not entry level torches since all the companies that carry those torches do not have any other torch that's lower than those?

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-14, 9:40pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

And now I actually have the money to purchase the torch...Happy Birthday to me! I was almost sold on the Knight, but hearing from so many people who work on the barracudas (and I currently work on a piranha) I'm still leaning towards the barracuda.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-15, 4:39am
<--- Time traveler

I think that's the right decision if you're working on a Piranha now. Most people are probably going to prefer the torch with the same inner fire as their current torch, when that applies. Plus you're used to the general flame chemistry of a certain company's torch - it will flatten out the learning curve a bit. Have a great time with your new torch!
Old 2008-04-15, 8:03am
da General

Teague - the Little Dragon (inner fire of a Knight Bullet) is so much cooler than a Mini CC that my friend has to keep firing the outer ring while making her larger beads in soft glass. I never need to use the outer ring on the 'Cuda except with Boro. You will be happier with the Cuda, Teague!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 8:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
That's personal preference - I think the Piranha is much better than the MiniCC, Little Dragon and the Bobcat (have used all of them).

Chad - what would you call them then if not entry level torches since all the companies that carry those torches do not have any other torch that's lower than those?
"Entry Level" insinuates something that is cheap and will be outgrown soon. That doesn't apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Respectfully disagree. I can get a very tiny needle flame (not as long at a GTT needle flame, shorter but very fine) all the way up to a fairly large neutral to slightly reducing flame with lots of punch. This is just for the inner fire. Add the outer fire and you can melt some pretty hefty boro rod and/or tubing. Also, with the outer ring, I have the option of adding oxy to my inner ring fire.

I know it is hard to get away from personal feelings about a torch or a company as i struggle with that myself, but I have worked extensively on Minors, Carlisle Mini CC and Bethlehems as I stated earlier in the thread. I have a little bit of time on the Knight Bullet and GTT Lynx and Phantom.

Given the options that the OP listed, I would go with the 'Cuda over the Hellcat for flame adjustability.

Not really sure why I am posting agin on this topic, but felt the need to defend my favorite torch.

Just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.
You can definitely get a needle flame, but it's not hot at all. I worked on a Tiger Shark for a year, and the main reason I got rid of it is because it had no heat whatsoever. To get any heat, you had to run a large flame. Granted, I'm used to my CC, and it doesn't get any more pinpoint than a premix, and I don't work much soft glass, so maybe my perspective is skewed. But, having used both a Bullet and a Barracuda recently, I have to say the Bullet is superior to the Barracuda in every way. Flame adjustability, heat, oxygen consumption, and (perhaps most importantly) price.

Old 2008-04-15, 9:48am
da General

Quote:
"Entry Level" insinuates something that is cheap and will be outgrown soon. That doesn't apply here.
I beg to differ - "Entry Level" means that it's the lowest model of a product as in a Canon Digital Rebel is the entry level digital SLR Canon produces . . . it doesn't imply that it's cheap and be outgrown soon.

Thus, the Mini CC being the lowest model of the Carlisle torches, the Little Dragon of the Knight torches, the Bobcat of the GTT torches, the Minnow of the Bethlehem torches . . . thus the Piranha is NOT the lowest model and in my experience, a lot hotter torch than the Mini CC, Minor, Knight or Bobcat all of which I have used extensively (my friend has a studio with all those torches).

I am not going to get into a debate with you, Chad. It's very clear that you have issues with Bethlethem the company and thus its torches, including the Barracuda. I am simply stating my experience with the various torches in response to those seeking advice and recommendation. Unlike you, I did EXTENSIVE research before upgrading my torch from a Bobcat to the Barracuda and actually have read many posts by you putting the Cuda down. I know Kimberly loves her Cuda and I have spoken to Brent/Mr. Smiley and he loves his - those were the best recommendation I needed to make my decision especially after my research on the different inner fire of the various torches. The Cuda is more expensive because the Piranha is not the $200 entry-level torch.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-04-15 at 9:51am.
Old 2008-04-15, 1:35pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
I beg to differ - "Entry Level" means that it's the lowest model of a product as in a Canon Digital Rebel is the entry level digital SLR Canon produces . . . it doesn't imply that it's cheap and be outgrown soon.

Thus, the Mini CC being the lowest model of the Carlisle torches, the Little Dragon of the Knight torches, the Bobcat of the GTT torches, the Minnow of the Bethlehem torches . . . thus the Piranha is NOT the lowest model and in my experience, a lot hotter torch than the Mini CC, Minor, Knight or Bobcat all of which I have used extensively (my friend has a studio with all those torches).

I am not going to get into a debate with you, Chad. It's very clear that you have issues with Bethlethem the company and thus its torches, including the Barracuda. I am simply stating my experience with the various torches in response to those seeking advice and recommendation. Unlike you, I did EXTENSIVE research before upgrading my torch from a Bobcat to the Barracuda and actually have read many posts by you putting the Cuda down. I know Kimberly loves her Cuda and I have spoken to Brent/Mr. Smiley and he loves his - those were the best recommendation I needed to make my decision especially after my research on the different inner fire of the various torches. The Cuda is more expensive because the Piranha is not the $200 entry-level torch.
"Entry Level" to me means something completely different. The term is tossed around a lot on the bike message boards I visit. Over there, a bike that costs $300-500 is considered "entry level". It is something to get you started, but is usually outgrown and replaced very soon as soon as the rider decides that they want to get into riding seriously. This isn't the case here.

I'm not sure why you feel like arguing with me, but that's fine if that's what you want to do. I apologize if I was out of line by stating my opinion. I was under the assumption that this was a public message board, and that everyone was allowed to state their opinion. Apparently I didn't know that it was only okay for some people to voice their opinion and not others.

However, since you brought it up, I think that using a torch for a year, making everything from beads to pendants to marbles to sculpture to pipes constitutes "EXTENSIVE" research. I had a Tiger Shark and a Barracuda in my shop for over a year. I spent more time on the Tiger Shark because it was mine and the Barracuda belonged to my friend. However, I would think it to be a safe bet to say that I spent more time on a Bethlehem torch during that year than you have spent on all your torches combined. I worked 4-5 hours a day most every day, and 8-10 hours a day on the weekends. I have not kept track of how much time I have spent on my CC, but if I had to guess I'd say over 500 hours easy. Probably much more than that. At least 200 hours on a Bullet. If that doesn't qualify as "EXTENSIVE" then I don't know what does. I haven't spent as much time on a Hellcat, but it's virtually identical to a Bullet (even the guys at Carlisle will say the same thing) so I think I'm safe in saying I know a little about that torch too.

I'm aware that some people are perfectly happy with their Bethlehem. For what I make and the way I work, a Bethlehem is the worst choice I could make.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2008-04-15 at 1:37pm.
Old 2008-04-15, 3:16pm
da General

Quote:
... I don't work much soft glass, so maybe my perspective is skewed.
Quote:
I'm aware that some people are perfectly happy with their Bethlehem. For what I make and the way I work, a Bethlehem is the worst choice I could make.
I am well aware that you have much, much more experience than I do but that is not the point since you don't work much with soft glass. Also, you really don't need hundreds of hours on any torch to see how you like working with it or comparing one from the other.

You can post all you want in a public forum but if you are giving others your opinion in response to their asking for help, one needs to be clarify where those recommendations are based on. Perhaps you should find out what the person asking for opinion and recommendation use . . . in Teague's case, it's more soft glass than boro, I believe . . . or at a minimum, state that your opinion is based on using these torches for boro. Otherwise, it's not fair for that person who uses mainly soft glass to go from, say, a Mini CC or a Lynx to a Knight Bullet thinking that she/he is upgrading only to find that the Little Dragon inner fire is much cooler that her/his other torch . . . and having to keep firing the outer ring for larger soft glass work.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 4:13pm
da General

Quote:
"Entry Level" to me means something completely different. The term is tossed around a lot on the bike message boards I visit. Over there, a bike that costs $300-500 is considered "entry level". It is something to get you started, but is usually outgrown and replaced very soon as soon as the rider decides that they want to get into riding seriously. This isn't the case here.
You do have a completely different definition on what "entry level" means. When I said it, it wasn't meant to put any of those torches down. Carlisle calls its own Mini CC an entry level torch:

http://www.carlislemachine.com/Carli...ges/MiniCC.htm
"All About the Mini CC

The Mini CC is the Hottest Entry Level Torch! It can work soft glass and boro with ease, runs on natural gas at house hold pressures or propane, and it is built rock solid. Why look anywhere else?!"

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 4:14pm
ManBearPig

A Little Dragon won't be cooler than a Mini CC. They are the same torch on the inside. Both are hotter than a Minor and both are hotter than a Piranha. Having used them side by side, I can say that with 100% certainty.

And, yes, my experience is mostly in borosilicate recently, but I started on soft glass, and I teach at least two soft glass classes a month in our store. However, you said how you took Brent's advice, and what kind of glass does he work with?

You also said I made the decision of what kind of torch to recommend without doing any sort of research. That is incorrect, which is why I explained myself as I did.

Old 2008-04-15, 4:25pm
da General

Quote:
A Little Dragon won't be cooler than a Mini CC. They are the same torch on the inside. Both are hotter than a Minor and both are hotter than a Piranha. Having used them side by side, I can say that with 100% certainty.

And, yes, my experience is mostly in borosilicate recently, but I started on soft glass, and I teach at least two soft glass classes a month in our store. However, you said how you took Brent's advice, and what kind of glass does he work with?

You also said I made the decision of what kind of torch to recommend without doing any sort of research. That is incorrect, which is why I explained myself as I did.
Chad - first of all, I do apologize . . . that sentence was re-written and I didn't delete the "unlike you" . . . I started to write "unlike you, I work mainly with soft glass" and when I changed it, I neglected to delete "unlike you." I REALLY didn't mean to say that you didn't do your research at all! Now I know why you were upset with me as you had every right - the comment was uncalled for but it was honestly a mistake.

I took Brent's advice coz I like everything he has ever shown in soft glass AND I hope to do boro one day (thus my upgrading to a Cuda).

Perhaps they don't make the Little Dragon like the ones you used, for I have used it next to a Mini CC and a Bobcat and find the opposite is true. I also know someone who upgraded from a Mini CC to a Knight Bullet recently and find that the inner fire of the Bullet is cooler than her Mini CC.

Well it goes to show that everyone's experience can be different . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-16, 1:35pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Chad - first of all, I do apologize . . . that sentence was re-written and I didn't delete the "unlike you" . . . I started to write "unlike you, I work mainly with soft glass" and when I changed it, I neglected to delete "unlike you." I REALLY didn't mean to say that you didn't do your research at all! Now I know why you were upset with me as you had every right - the comment was uncalled for but it was honestly a mistake.

I took Brent's advice coz I like everything he has ever shown in soft glass AND I hope to do boro one day (thus my upgrading to a Cuda).

Perhaps they don't make the Little Dragon like the ones you used, for I have used it next to a Mini CC and a Bobcat and find the opposite is true. I also know someone who upgraded from a Mini CC to a Knight Bullet recently and find that the inner fire of the Bullet is cooler than her Mini CC.

Well it goes to show that everyone's experience can be different . . .
The Little Dragon that I own is the same one that we sell in our store. According to a Carlisle employee, the guys that make the Knight torches used to work for Carlisle, and when they left, they made their torches exactly the same, but with a different body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Again, I will disagree. The needle flame on the 'Cuda is more than adequate for detail on soft glass and on boro sculpture. I wouldn't try to melt a big boro gather with it, but I wouldn't use a needle flame on any torch to melt a big boro gather.

I took Brent Graber's boro class at Glass Stock and used my 'Cuda for that class. I had plenty of heat. (Loved the class, too!!!)
I've never been able to get any heat out of the 4 or 5 Bethlehems I've worked on. For soft glass they may be fine. But, when doing things like inside-out work in borosilicate, they won't melt the stringer for anything. To get enough heat to melt it, you have to crank the flame up, and that creates a lot of blow back, which cooled the flame down even more.

Old 2008-05-17, 11:54pm

Which to buy? I cannot help there as I am a junkie that torches 40-50 hours per week and use the mini for all my encased florals and zanfirico beads, the little dragon for my encased geometrics and cosmic beads, hellcat for italian cane pulls/murrine/marbles/boro. Mini CC for all veiled cane and satake work.

The hellcat is not a small bump up from the Mini CC, it is perfect for the person that is not quite ready for the CC. Perfect step up. The mini cc centerfire on the hellcat is definitely more slender in my opinion. Not your imagination Virginia. CLEAN BURN, no carbon buildup. To me burns slightly hotter than the bullet, but there is just something about the Bullet's flame quality that I love and tolerate knocking off a little carbon. Less pressure on the knight torch than manuf recommends seems to decrease this issue. No quality hands on time with a cuda to offer any input.

mini cc to little dragon flame description in my humble opinion... yes company dirt is pretty accurate, but I strongly feel that the flames are very different. I love and use both heavily.

mini cc is all about that radiant ambient heat. It's biggest asset is that it is capable of a bushy flame right on the edge of reducing that just massages the glass into shape. Beautiful uniform heat saturation with the correct flame setting and length. I utilize 10 areas of this torches flame for different purposes. PERFECT TOOL for working fussy veiled cane or tender satake. It is just a better tool for this kind of glass task and the little D would destroy this premium material fast. You cannot get as nice of a bushy quality on the little D and the mini I feel is capable of a slightly more robust flame. BUT the little dragon has some unique advantages and is used heavily every week.

If a minor burner and a mini cc conceived, it's offspring would be the little dragon. Flame comparison on these two torches are pretty different to me. One big difference is the little dragon has carbon buildup due to incomplete combustion of fuel yet the mini cc is a clean carbon free burn. Little dragon is more of a slender (width) and slightly more driven flame. This can be an asset. For example, some of my techniques require that I superheat the surface while leaving the core solid. this torch is a better tool for that task. With that said, I lose 2 out of my 10 flame working areas, but love that it is easier to superheat the surface of stiff glass quickly while leaving the core of my work cool. So, yes you can do that on a mini cc, but you need to be more conscious of the flame setting as the mini encourages a quicker uniform saturation of heat. I have noticed that when students have trouble on the mini cc, this torch saves the day for them. New beadmakers sit at both and they all can see the difference. In summary less versatility, but a tight little torch that I need to execute specific designs.

Little D cooler? I would like to interject a thought here. If a torch user is hooked up to a oxy generator instead of bottled oxy, the pressure may not be the same and the flame can seem cooler because it is weaker. If you have a garden hose and do not turn the pressure on full force you can still water the garden, just not as fast. One person may be using an OSGI-15 instead of bottled oxy. Big difference in flame quailty due to pressure put out. Variables like this or how much oxy in relation to propane in your flame will change the amount of heat or speed of heat saturation the glass receives. Combine this with the fact that some use a little pea shooter sized flame instead of a nice sized flame. The possibility of operator error on top of not seeing how someone is working at the torch just adds to the confusion.

I hope my feedback helps others to decide, or not and just buy them all like me.

~ Starleen

Last edited by *StarleensStudio*; 2008-05-23 at 9:51pm. Reason: added info
Old 2008-05-18, 10:21am
PyronamixK

Actually, when you're talking about concentrators, the pressure is not what produces the heat. Heat is more a function of flow and purity. You can have a high pressure machine run a torch, but if it puts out low LPMs, you won't have as much oxygen, in terms of volume, to mix with the propane. The same is true in regards to purity. If that high pressure machine does not have good puity, you won't have as much oxygen to mix with the propane. Pressure is important for delivering the flow. You need enough of it to push through the restrictions of the torch. You could have adequate flow and pressure to make a certain sized flame, but how hot that flame is will depend on the purity. If that flame is not hot or is chemically reducing, you may do better to have a smaller flame that is hot and clean.

For the Knight, Beth, and Carlisle torches mentioned, high flow and good purity would be more important factors than high pressure.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-05-18 at 10:31am.