Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-06-06, 3:04pm

Default Dead Mini CC

Pretty sure my husband killed my 10 year old mini cc He was working on the ventilation ducting overhead and it all fell apart and part of it must’ve hit the port end of my torch. When I turned it back on the flame candles were all different lengths, so I think the ports got damaged. I emailed Carlisle to see if there’s any saving it but I really doubt it. It’s probably time I looked at getting a new torch anyway. I’m wondering if I should go bigger this time? My new studio is very small (converted shed) and I was noticing before the accident that I was getting some flickering at the top of the flame, probably due to some turbulence from either inside the vent funnel or from my AC nearby. I’m wondering if a torch that’s more powerful than the mini cc would overcome that bit of turbulence? I currently am using propane with an ex-15 OxyCon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2020-06-06, 3:07pm
Loving learning

I get flickering some with my torch because my vent is right in front I think, but also I have a ceiling fan and sometimes an A/C on. I have learned to live with it, so no advice here, just good luck with finding something that works great for you.
Old 2020-06-06, 3:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I get flickering some with my torch because my vent is right in front I think, but also I have a ceiling fan and sometimes an A/C on. I have learned to live with it, so no advice here, just good luck with finding something that works great for you.
Thanks Eileen! My vent is right in front too so I do think that has something to do with it. And I definitely can’t live without the AC where I live so it might be something I’ll just have to get used to in this new studio, no matter what torch I use. I did notice that the flickering was enough with my mini that I was losing heat. I make a lot of murrini, working with large gathers of glass, so it might be worth getting a more powerful torch anyway since I will likely need to replace my mini.

Old 2020-06-06, 4:24pm
Loving learning

I bet it would definitely come in handy with making murrini. I purchased a used hellcat and was thinking of murrini and marbles but so far I have not hooked it up. Oops!
Old 2020-06-06, 4:44pm

Are you able to run the hellcat off a regular oxycon? It would be great to use a torch that made murrini making go faster. It’s pretty slow going on my cc. I also want to get into marbles too. I’ll have to do some research to be sure my next torch will work with the oxycon I have. I’m not really looking forward to the learning curve though - I’m so used to my mini. But I’m taking this as a sign that it’s time to invest in something more powerful!

Old 2020-06-06, 6:51pm
Loving learning

My plan, if I can hook it up right, is to run the inner flame (mini cc I think but could be wrong) off an oxycon, and have tanked for if I need it for the outer flame. I really need to get going on that plan!
Old 2020-06-06, 7:37pm

It sounds like an awesome torch with a lot of power since you can hook up additional fuel/oxygen sources. I don’t think I’m ready for tanked oxygen with my current set up so I’m looking at either the Wildcat or the Lucio burner.

Old 2020-06-06, 7:38pm
Loving learning

So many torches, and all of them fun!
Old 2020-06-06, 9:16pm

So true!