No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-09, 9:26am
I ate a big red candle!

Default Your favorite items from woodturnerscatalog.com

I'm trying to get my work into some local gift shops, but they already have an abundance of jewelry and people don't want beads, they want finished gifts.

upon searching for winestoppers and pens, I see a lot of people recommending woodturnerscatalog.com. I haven't purchased anything yet, but I probably will soon. They have a pretty interesting assortment of items, but it's hard to tell what could be adapted to glass since it's intended for woodworking.

Has anybody used hardware from them? What have you used? What do you like or dislike about it? Is it easy to adapt to glass? I was considering trying their basic pens, winestoppers and fan pulls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-12-10, 3:48pm

My husband used to order supplies from them years ago when he turned blanks for wood pens. I'm not sure how the hardware would adapt to glass though.

For pen kits that are made to hold beads you could try www.beadpens.com.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-12-14, 7:46pm

I have done these http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/t/.../Kaleidoscopes

And razors from http://www.pennstateind.com/

The kaleidoscopes I did on a mandrel from arrow springs. I can not remember the size, it is one of their large mandrels welded onto a smaller mandrel.

The razors I think use the next size up from the charm bead size. Lot of help I am, right? LOL
Old 2013-12-15, 8:47pm
offically down under

http://www.woodcraft.com/

Wine Toppers seem like trying to sell a typewriter in a computer world since many vineyards are going to screw top caps. New Zealand and Australia no longer use corks-even in the very best wines. Plus, don't you all finish a bottle of wine in one sitting?

Old 2013-12-16, 11:43am

I've been making pens for a couple years from www.pennstateind.com woodturners supplies. I double dip a 1/4" mandrel and use penn states gap filling epoxy to adhere the beads to the pen. I use pen blanks that all require the 7 mm tubes.

Winestoppers for glass I like the ones from Ruth Niles that someone on here recommended. I'd have to google her website. It is something like SS Niles. http://nilesbottlestoppers.com/

Tammy ... yes finishing the whole bottle of wine at a sitting seems to be the common remark/complaint. But the stoppers look lovely in a finished bottle of wine, too!!

Penn State also carried some really nice beadable key chains for a while. The kind with the 3/32" size rod with screw on ends. Alas, they no longer stock it ... so now I'm looking at switching to either Karen Thomas "Laguna" style key chains or penn state chains on the 7 mm tube.

My best seller this year was the beadable letter openers. A beautiful, and more practical gift than the wine stopper.

One question/suggestion. Most shops are over run with jewelry and don't want to see any more ... but take some of yours in. Yours are made with your own beads and will look nothing like the "I string beads" jewelry they are already carrying. They may decide to make room for you.

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2013-12-16 at 11:44am. Reason: added link for winestoppers
Old 2013-12-23, 8:57am
I ate a big red candle!

anybody have any pictures of their beadable items? There's probably already a thread in the gallery that I'm about to search for, but I still like seeing

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-12-23, 9:35am

I have used their pen blanks for three years. Before that, I used their wine stoppers a lot.

Ginko Beads