No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-09, 5:55pm
ASamples33

Default Silver glass help

So I have just started to become interested in using silver glass. I got some double helix from Frantz glass and.....wow what I get out of the annealer doesn't look anything like what I expected. I know there is a learning curve to working with this glass which is why I stayed away from it for so long. I just hope my wallet can support the time of learning. Any help would be appreciated. Tips, tricks, and tutorials welcomed.
Thanks,
Andi
Old 2014-03-09, 6:09pm
Senior Moment

Lets start with, which glasses do you have?

And have you checked Double Helix's site? They have instructions for both their reduction and striking glasses there: http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com/tutorials.aspx . It's a good place to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-03-09, 6:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I would do a search here on LE...there are tons of threads about silver glass. Also the Tutorials section here too. Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-03-09, 8:37pm

Also, try working with just some thin stringer pulled from the rods. Make dots, scrolls, etc. to practice your skills while limiting the amount of glass you use.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2014-03-09, 9:22pm
Slogan Challenged...

Definitely a learning curve. Best way IMO is to read some tips, try to use the glass, look at the results, rinse and repeat. Eventually someone says something that kind of makes sense with what you are doing at the time and a light goes on. Then you try the next silver glass... Some are easier than others, but it is expensive and no way around that Definitely do what Christie suggested, and use stringers or use dots until you can get some understanding of the glass. Clear cores or cheapo glass underneath help a lot too.

Good luck!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-10, 9:14am

Yes, which glasses do you have? And what kind of torch? I found on my hothead the glass reduced more than I thought it would, and striking colors were very challenging.

Old 2014-03-10, 4:21pm
ASamples33

Thanks so much. Here are the ones I ordered Terraniva 2.1 and Pandora 2 and Boreas. I will look on DH site and see what I can learn there. I am working on a Nortel mega minor. Thanks so much y'all are wonderful.
Andi

Last edited by ASamples33; 2014-03-10 at 4:44pm.
Old 2014-03-10, 10:38pm
It's all about the color.

Annealing Schedule can also affect how the beads come out. Here's one of my charts that show the Pandora 2 and different results I got with different temps.

http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pandora.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-03-11, 8:43am

For new to double helix, I suggest aurae and/or Triton. To conserve, make stringer and use as a decoration until you get used to it...dots or swirls are good. Boreas is ok for the same method. Make a base bead in black, add dots or swirls with the silver glass, melt partially in. Adjust flame to be a little bushy and pop the bead in and out of the further part of the flame. Look after each pass to see the change.

Laurie

Old 2014-03-11, 9:19am

fwiw pandora SUCKS. i can only get poo colors...even after barely getting it warm and using the kiln to strike...pandora and pandora 2 are not silver glass-newb friendly!
Old 2014-03-11, 1:40pm
ASamples33

Ha ha ha istandalone24/7 I see what you are saying about pandora. Thanks for the tips. So when I am working with the stringer do I need to make any adjustments to the flame when pulling the stringer? Can I pull it in a neutral flame? Thanks again Andi
Old 2014-03-11, 2:03pm

yess, neutral to pull

Laurie

Old 2014-03-12, 8:02am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Pandora & Pandora2

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
fwiw pandora SUCKS. i can only get poo colors...even after barely getting it warm and using the kiln to strike...pandora and pandora 2 are not silver glass-newb friendly!
Pandora and Pandora2 work best when worked hot, allowed to cool, then annealed. If you "barely get it warm", the Pandora will start to flame strike, inhibiting the full strike that occurs in the annealer. Working it nice and hot "resets" the silver strike, redissolving the metallic silver into the glass matrix, and making it available for clean crystal growth. Pandora2 exhibits less flame striking than the original. If your Pandora/Pandora2 is flame struck by moderate heat incidental to the shaping process, the exterior can be reset using a small,strong, sharp flame.

I hope those tips help you get some attractive results from Pandora2.

--Jed at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2014-03-12, 8:23am
Gay rights R human rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
I actually love Pandora. There is one secret to it. SIMPLE beads. the kind that you wind, melt in to shape and that's it. It has to go into the kiln translucent. DO NOT flame strike.

But definitely not hot head material.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-03-12, 3:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggybubba View Post
I actually love Pandora. There is one secret to it. SIMPLE beads. the kind that you wind, melt in to shape and that's it. It has to go into the kiln translucent. DO NOT flame strike.

But definitely not hot head material.
Actually, I made several beads using Pandora on my hothead. Not the best, but it was the only striking glass I could get any color out of. Don't ask me now, though, how I did it!

Old 2014-03-15, 6:04pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
Pandora and Pandora2 work best when worked hot, allowed to cool, then annealed. If you "barely get it warm", the Pandora will start to flame strike, inhibiting the full strike that occurs in the annealer. Working it nice and hot "resets" the silver strike, redissolving the metallic silver into the glass matrix, and making it available for clean crystal growth. Pandora2 exhibits less flame striking than the original. If your Pandora/Pandora2 is flame struck by moderate heat incidental to the shaping process, the exterior can be reset using a small,strong, sharp flame.

I hope those tips help you get some attractive results from Pandora2.

--Jed at Double Helix Glassworks
You are such a class act.

Old 2014-03-15, 6:25pm
ASamples33

Thanks Jed