Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-24, 1:34pm
Sallysbeads

Default Bluetonium - Lauscha Color, thoughts?

I know I'm being premature here but I've just received the new Lauscha Color of the Month Club - Bluetonium. I've looked at the tutorial but I'm out of here for a show this weekend. I would love to hear everybody's comments in the coming week about their experiences with this "new" color.
Old 2006-11-24, 1:36pm

I just received mine today. I won't be able to melt any of it until Monday at least. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 2006-11-24, 1:37pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Freakin' A; I bet mine's sitting at the shop waiting on me, but I'm so not interested in driving into town...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-11-24, 2:45pm

I don't have mine yet but hopefully tomorrow which will be perfect as I don't have to work tomorrow

Old 2006-11-24, 3:13pm
Fusing Glass

can you give us the thread for the info on it. please dont tell me its another silver color I hope its an awsome blue maybe?
Old 2006-11-24, 3:31pm
Sallysbeads

I don't have a thread for it, it's the Color of the Month Club. You might try Firelady. The glass was sent with a CD tututorial. Not to worry, it isn't a silver color but apparently when reduced it gets red (various shades of brick). When not reduced it looks pleasant enough but they refer to it as teal whereas to me the color is aqua. I can't say I'm thrilled but I can't really judge it until I get into it - next week.
Old 2006-11-24, 4:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I have it, haven't used it, looks like aqua and it does indeed look like silver glass, especially when you hold the rods to the light (little bits of sparkle like Olympia rain) but I haven't played with it yet and might not. I don't have the time to screw with it.

Personally, get me a glass in a nice color that I don't have to dink with to figure it out... like a nice opaque peach, true brown...something like that. I'm getting sick of glass I have to waste days experimenting with just to get a reaction...send me a layered red rod that gives me various shades of brick color instead ...not a transparent aqua rod that turns red if I do this or that with it. This of course isn't Marcie's fault in any way - it's Lauscha's fault. Just make a new color and be done with it.

Sorry for venting...this is just getting stupid and no, I'm not going to change my torch (Hot Head) for one pound of glass when my torch works hundreds of other colors just fine.

Old 2006-11-24, 4:09pm
Cats & Glass!

I might be wrong about this, but usually you do have to specify what color you want when you have Lauscha make a batch for you. It sounds like it has both silver and copper in it? You know, like the brick red you get when you overwork turquoise?

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-11-24, 4:14pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko View Post
I might be wrong about this, but usually you do have to specify what color you want when you have Lauscha make a batch for you. It sounds like it has both silver and copper in it? You know, like the brick red you get when you overwork turquoise?

Janelle

Maybe I was mistaken in my original impression, but I had THOUGHT it was communicated that Lauscha would be listening to the club members' requests. I don't think that is happening. I didn't pre-order this time, but I am keeping an eye out for what's coming from the factory. I really enjoy using lauscha glass and am hoping that some breakthrough gorgeous color will come about.

......still hoping!

Old 2006-11-24, 4:22pm
Cats & Glass!

Yep, Kendra, I agree with you. I was responding to Amber's comment that it wasn't Marcie's fault (and I don't know if that was being facetious or not) but I'm pretty sure that if none of these colors are what people asked for, it's likely not Lauscha's fault.

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2006-11-24, 4:57pm

I got it, I like it. I'm not going to post specifics about it because we've been asked not to do that until a majority of the club gets theirs.

Ya know, if the Supernova color had managed to come out in the summer, rather than a month ago, it would have been smack dab in the middle of the rise of the silver glass craze. Many, many of us got into it, and who else was hovering over doublehelix's site waiting for the instant the glass went up? Had supernova come out then, I don't think there would be half the complaining about it. As for me, I'm usually pretty good with silver colors, but this one hasn't done it's thing yet for me. I'm saving it, and I'll play with it as I feel like it.

I see I'm going to have to fish the box out of the trash for a CD, LOL. That's what I get for being all smart and trying to avoid peanuts flying everywhere!

I got into this knowing that there would be some colors I just wasn't going to want. Pretty much pinky/girly colors don't do it for me, but they do for a lot of people. I'm a blues and greens kind of girl, plus stuff I can get reactions out of. Not so much red when reduced stuff, but something cool happens with silver, etc.

I think to expect to adore 12 out of 12 colors of the month is not realistic, and putting way to much emphasis on your own wishes. Some months the pinky/girly color fans will be thrilled! Some months the blues and greens crowd will be in heaven! And other months, I bet the earth tones fans will have their world rocked!

anyway, perhaps rather than being miffed that the color one wanted wasn't the one sent this time, maybe folks could consider stretching their boundaries and playing with something out of their box for a rod or two, then sell/trade/get rid of the remainder?

Just a thought...

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-11-24, 5:30pm
Honey Badger

then sell/trade/get rid of the remainder?

This would be against the rules; that is, if one wished to remain a member.
Old 2006-11-24, 5:37pm

Default Blutonium

I have used it and enjoyed it. My main thrust was to see how it was for sculptural beads and it proved very workable. It is a lovely med-dark aquamarine color. I did turn down the O2 and got a very pretty pinkish/oil slick surface. Here are some beads done with it.

Old 2006-11-24, 5:42pm
sunscreen me baby

Delisious reduced! And a darn pretty shade of blue if not. I can't wait till mine gets here! Thanks for the pictures Babette, now I'm anxious

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2006-11-24 at 6:36pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2006-11-24, 5:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Evilglass, my complaint was that the last two batches of glass have to be manipulated in some way to get a reaction. This is just not what I'm looking for... When people were making suggestions for colors, it was for flesh tones, nice browns, bright pinks, etc... I'm assuming people wanted to take it out of the box and use it right away without a fuss.

Janelle, well, if it's the case that Marcie is choosing the color combos then she and I are not on the same wavelength as far as what cool glass is... To each their own of course. LOL

I'm not angry with anyone...I'm just really beginning to think this is not my bag...kind of like the silvered-glass craze. I'll give it another go..if the third color is a disappointment, then I'll cancel because I can't justify spending over $40.00 a month on glass that's a mystery. I'd rather spend $40 on what I know I'll use.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2006-11-24 at 5:51pm.
Old 2006-11-24, 6:34pm
Always with a smile!

Still waiting for mine, can't wait to play.

) and
)
Old 2006-11-24, 8:57pm

Mine came today but the CD won't play!!!Not going to waste any of this one trying to guess what to do. Krista, does your CD play?
Carolyn
Old 2006-11-24, 9:24pm
FireBeads

I couldn't play the cd either, though I think it's mostly because of my old mac. I wrote to Marcie asking for tips but haven't heard from her yet. Can anyone tell me how to work this glass? It does look pretty as is, but I'd like to know what it's full potential is before I use it.
Linda
Old 2006-11-24, 11:49pm

Well, I used it in a neutral flame, and got the rod color, which was what I wanted

It tried to bubble and spark a bit, and was leaving some silvery "stuff" behind, so I put 'em through an oxy flame, and while it didn't look like it got rid of it in the flame, when they cooled a bit, it was gone.

It reduced to the other color pretty easy, but that one's not my cup of tea. I've really got to get that box from the trash (my mom's trash, since my mailman gives her all my mail regularly, and always leaves my packages on her porch) and see about that oilslicky thing...that looks cool. Maybe that silvery stuff was that? I'll play tomorrow

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-11-25, 7:07am

Thanks, Babette for posting the pictures! It looks like a slightly lighter shade of the Czech capri blue! I love that color and I really like the color I see both reduced and non-reduced!

The more pictures, the better! The more tips, the better! I don't think anyone should try to keep the colors and how to work them under wraps. We don't do that with any of the other colors we get so excited about. The more discussion, the more we can see what the glass can do. That gets us revved up and makes the glass desirable.

I don't have mine yet but I like what I see - anyone else got some pictures?

Cindy

Old 2006-11-25, 12:09pm
Button Queen

HUH. I didn't even know the second color had shipped. I don't have mine yet, so I can't comment on it. But I did notice that the PayPal subscription automatically "charged" me for the 3rd color. I think it sucks that the second one isn't even in my hands and I've already paid for the 3rd color.
Old 2006-11-25, 12:21pm

My glass came today, melting later this afternoon to see what it will do. My CD opened. It is a Word Document. 7 pages of photos and details. gayle
Old 2006-11-25, 1:02pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I got mine too, but DANGIT I didn't know there was a CD in there too!! I'm with evilglass, I didn't want peanuts going everywhere so I didn't empty the entire box. I could just kick myself!!!

I'll play with it on Monday when I get back to torching

Old 2006-11-25, 1:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Ramsay View Post
Mine came today but the CD won't play!!!Not going to waste any of this one trying to guess what to do. Krista, does your CD play?
Carolyn
Yes, it opened on the computer. Let me see if I can forward it to you as a file attached to an email? James isn't here or I'm sure this would be no problem. AHhh......to be 17 and know everything about computers! LOL
Old 2006-11-25, 1:25pm

Carolyn, I just tried to send it to you in an email. See if you can open it?
Old 2006-11-25, 7:50pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
HUH. I didn't even know the second color had shipped. I don't have mine yet, so I can't comment on it. But I did notice that the PayPal subscription automatically "charged" me for the 3rd color. I think it sucks that the second one isn't even in my hands and I've already paid for the 3rd color.
was there some sort of policy about how soon before shipping the "auto pay" thing would kick in? Or are you set up on an automatic plan that sends the money to the recipient on a particular day each month?

Most automatic monthly plans are set up to send the funds on a particular day of each month. Say for instance, you set up the payment plan on the 25th of October. From then on out, an automatic monthly payment will be sent each month on the 25th, unless you set another date. I am not aware of a plan where you have an "open account" where as the recipient can draw funds at their discretion (meaning on the date THEY choose, even if you have approved a payment to them for a set amount).

I would definitely check into this. The glass doesn't seem to be "regular" yet, so you may find yourself paying WAY ahead of schedule for product that won't be shipped for quite some time.

Old 2006-11-25, 8:47pm
IMAHO

Looks like just another blue to me. Hell, I'd rather have a pound of good blushing Opal Yellow...

Wonder what happens if I don't pay the PayPal invoice that I haven't gotten yet? I found something in my PayPal acct just yesterday from the beginning of the month. Never got an email about it...no invoice yet, soooo I don't know. It doesn't indicate if that amount is supposed to include shipping.

I just don't know if I am liking this game...

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-11-26, 5:06am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadstillmyheart View Post
was there some sort of policy about how soon before shipping the "auto pay" thing would kick in? Or are you set up on an automatic plan that sends the money to the recipient on a particular day each month?
Nope, no policy... The way that the PayPal subscription service works is that it just keeps automatically charging you on the same day of the month. And it automatically took the money when it was first set up. I set mine up on Oct 23, so on Nov 23 it paid her again. So now I've paid for 3 pounds of glass.

I emailed Marcie and she basically said "That's the way it works". She seems to think over the course of the year it will catch up. But I don't see how it possibly can do that, given that she's not shipping once a month yet. The ONLY way it could catch up is if she shipped twice in the same month. And I just don't see that happening.

She also said that the subscribers glass would ship on Monday. Hello - I've paid for it a MONTH ago and it wasn't shipped FIRST...?????

Needless to say I've cancelled the PayPal subscription.

I'm with Julz, I'm not liking this game....
Old 2006-11-26, 6:55am
Life is change. Love it

Well, I'm still waiting for the first colour, which will hopefully arrive with the second one!

I'm willing to give it a few more months, but if I don't like the colours, I'll cancel and spend the money on some double helix or R4 glass.

I just noticed that Grace (Lauscha Lady) will have Supernova in soon. Heck, she'll probably have it before me!

Old 2006-11-26, 4:39pm

For anyone that can't get the cd to play..email firelady and she'll send it as an attachment.
As far as if the color is silver..no. It's copper based. Hopefully that will make sense to most of you.
If you all have questions just keep posting them here and I can compile the list and get it to Marcie....
Thanks
Irene