Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-13, 8:50am

Default Unobtanium vs. Super Unobtanium....

How big of a difference is there?
Any pics to show me the differences????

Also, what does Unexplanium look like, there's no pic on the site I was looking on.

Thanks ever so much!
Jo
Old 2007-04-13, 9:08am
ManBearPig

Unexplainium is a dark transparent green.

There isn't a lot of difference between Unobtainium and Super Unobtainium. Super is a little darker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-13, 1:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Shouldn't unexplainium be difficult to describe?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-04-13, 1:34pm
Serenity Now!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-04-13, 1:37pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Shouldn't unexplainium be difficult to describe?
It should. But by that token Unobtainium should be hard to get. I have tons of it though. Although still none in frit form...

Old 2007-04-13, 1:38pm

I have experienced some cracking with super unobtanium if it isn't mixed with some clear and pulled down.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-13, 1:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
It should. But by that token Unobtainium should be hard to get. I have tons of it though. Although still none in frit form...

Imagine how hard Super Unobtanium should be to get.

Wow, I am LMAO. Thanks Cosmo, I sure needed that!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-04-13, 1:40pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I have experienced some cracking with super unobtanium if it isn't mixed with some clear and pulled down.
Then maybe it should be called "Not-So-Super Unobtainium"...

Old 2007-04-13, 1:42pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-04-13, 2:18pm

Make sure to not encase anything too deep with either, both will crack.

Old 2007-04-13, 3:02pm
yukue fumei

They look similar to me but my super unobtanium rods are really fragile.
Some broke in my hand...beautiful color though-love it.
I did get some cracking when it is deep encsaed. Will try the mixing with clear trick-thanks!

nagi

Old 2007-04-13, 5:25pm
ManBearPig

I think I'm one of the exceptions to the rule here. I have never had a problem encasing Unobtainium. I made several vortexes using Unobtainium over a year ago, and they are fine to this day. I do keep it hot as much as I can while working it, and don't anneal it any longer than necessary.

Never tried Super, but I have heard of cracking issues with it.

Old 2007-04-14, 7:07am

unexplainium
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-14, 7:48am
yukue fumei

is it similar in working as experimental green #5?

nagi

Old 2007-04-14, 2:02pm
Save the Numbats

I had an issue with Obtanium - I guess obtanium is really easy to get? Maybe what they mean is unobtanium is REALLY difficult to make, but once they make it you can get it as easily as anything else.

Anyway, I backed a pendant with Obtanium and the whole thing checked! Never had that happen. the only other one I remember cracking was just one crack, up by the loop, and that was with Momka opaque green, whatever it is.