No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-07, 12:10am
Spectrum rulz

Default wanted opinion on cricket torch

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some opinions on the new cricket torch. At the moment I am using a mini CC with a 5lt medical concentrator. Would you compare it to this or would you say it is better, would there be more heat, what is the radiant heat like. I would like to do more sculptural stuff but I cant keep it hot enough - I like to make BIG things. What would the biggest size bead be you can make on the cricket. I use predominantly 96 glass. All opinions appreciated.
Old 2008-12-07, 1:58am
More ideas than talent

I'm interested too. I was very interested in Heidi's comments about the GTT torches burning cleaner than the minor, which is what I'm currently using.

I'm interested in learning more. Though my chances of buying anything are remote until the Aussie dollar improves against the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-07, 3:34am

Christine, you are welcome to come and try my cricket and find out the answers yourself tho' I am on tank O2 at the moment til I get a new sieve bed. You could bring your own concentrator to see how it works out.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-12-07, 6:38am
Spectrum rulz

Could you move next door Kym, or invent another day in the week just for playing on the torch. I am been working so much overtime and looking after my sister after surgery hasnt left much time for any socializing at all . I do have a few days off over xmas so hopefully can come on down then.
Old 2008-12-07, 6:59am

Pipyr set hers up on a single concentrator briefly to try it out, & then moved it up to two oxycons & uses it for making lots of her smaller sculptures at home.
I KNOW that's why Sue (Sue in Maine) has one on order--her mini cc just can't keep the heat well enough on 2 (yes two) oxycons, but the cricket on the same 2 oxycons is MUCH more efficient (driving heat) for working small boro.
(I want one, because with one oxycon it doesn't have the "hot knobs" issue that the mini cc gets, and it's got a much hotter flame, it's just MADE for the oxycon!. I the mini cc on tanked though....sigh....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-12-07 at 12:44pm.
Old 2008-12-07, 7:30am

I think you'd be best to get another oxycon before another torch. The mini cc has a much bushier flame than a cricket. I use a cricket on 2 oxycons and it's a HOT little torch, but for large pieces just remember you would be working with a narrower flame.

Old 2008-12-07, 12:36pm

The difference in price between a new cricket and a new concentrator is enormous here Rose. That's the problem. You could buy 7-8 crickets for the price of a concentrator, probably more.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-12-07, 1:52pm
Spectrum rulz

We pay $1000 for a secondhand concentrator here is Aus - if I could do that I would and just join the 2 for my CC. I thought this might be another option for me. I really need to know how it runs on 1 because that is what I have and if is not that much different to the CC I would probably be better just to use what I have. I have this thought of putting 2 torches together to give a much wider flame because that is what I really need.
Old 2008-12-07, 2:07pm
birdergirl ~o~

Are you thinking you could run both torches off the one concentrator?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-12-07, 4:04pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I think you'd be best to get another oxycon before another torch. The mini cc has a much bushier flame than a cricket. I use a cricket on 2 oxycons and it's a HOT little torch, but for large pieces just remember you would be working with a narrower flame.
I agree with Rose. I have both the Bobcat and the Mini, so for the kind of work you want to do, I say get another concentrator for the Mini. The GTT's flame is too narrow and there is not that much radiant heat. There is a whole lot of radiant heat with the Mini.
Old 2008-12-07, 6:21pm

The cricket will have a slightly narrower flame but be hotter/more penetrating than the mini cc on the single concentrator--it also won't get the hot knobs that the mini cc gets--it's got a much more "driving" heat--it's going to behave on ONE concentrator more like a mini does on TWO.
For the difference in price (comparing the $1000 you're saying a concentrator would cost you to a cricket, which I'm thinking is "our price, plus shipping"?) I'd just get the torch--even if you hated it, I'm thinking you could EASILY sell it to a hothead user in your area in no time flat if you did decide you hated it!
(you'll be happy with it...I don't think anyone who has tried it has actually disliked it--the few I've seen who've sold them off have simply decided they had too many torches, or were going to stick with the *bigger* torches they had )

There's no chance you could switch your mini cc to tanked oxy is there? You'd get the flame you're looking for out of your mini on tanked....(I love the mini on tanked...it's what the studio uses....sigh...it's soooo nice on tanked!!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-12-07 at 6:23pm.
Old 2008-12-07, 8:01pm

Ok, I see your problem. Gosh, I had no idea!

I have found that running the cricket on 1 concentrator was so-so. Same with the Betta, and the Cricket is more penetrating than the Betta. 2 is much better than one. I've never had a mini but used one in a class, with oxygen. I just remember the flame being very bushy.

The Cricket DOES use the oxygen more efficiently.

Old 2008-12-07, 8:56pm
I need more boro stuff

I never try mini but I love my cricket. So much heat compares to minor.

Yes, concentrator in Oz is ridiculously expensive. New machine was sold for A$2600 last February no idea how much is it now (nearly US$1700 with the currency atm).

I was lucky enough to buy the demo machine with only 300 hours for A$2200.

So for us Oz, buying new torch is cheaper.

Old 2008-12-08, 5:19am
Spectrum rulz

I would love to go back to bottled oxy but I think its about $120 for H size cylinder and I can burn through that in 3 weeks. Anyone wanna adopt we poor Aussie lampworkers who pay more than 4 times what the Americans do for supplies. I think the way our $ is at the moment the cricket would probably run at about $180 with delivery if not more. But on the upside if you are a lampwork buyer now is the time to buy from the Aussies when you do the dollar conversation to our $ you are coming out with about 1/3 less than the price.
Old 2008-12-08, 6:29am

I was thinking more of reserving the "bottled oxy" for the bigger stuff, & using your concentrator for the smaller stuff....but, yeah, I have the issue of tanked simply not being practical for where I live (and the ongoing repetitive expense, that's kinda a killer when you're on a strict budget too--no matter how expensive or cheap it is )

It's why I want the cricket--better flame off the single concentrator & just perfect for soft glass on a single concentrator (as compared to the mini. I adore the mini, but it's just not as practical when you're on a budget that doesn't allow for 2 concentrators or tanked )

Of course "big" is relative--I've seen 2" pieces that Nikki's made on her hothead that she's kept perfectly warm enough (no cracks!) with just the radiant heat & lots of remembering to keep it warm!, so depending on what you're trying to do, & just how big you're trying to go, it may be a matter of *remembering* to add enough insurance heat to every part of the bead/creature/piece as you're working...vs. the size of the torch...know what I mean?

Last edited by lunamoonshadow; 2008-12-08 at 6:32am.
Old 2008-12-08, 6:38am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Hey gang! I have A Bobcat, Lynx and Cricket. I have found myself making almost all my boro work on the cricket lately. It seem just as hot as the lynx and I can make a 1 1/2" marble with ease. I can also turn it way down for fine detail work, almost as low as the Lynx. If you have more questons I know Kim at would be happy to chat with you about all the question you have on torch vs torch. give her a call or I'll post her link here.pyronamix.com

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2008-12-08, 7:14am

Hi Henry,

I love my mini cc on 2 oxy-cons and I do get enough heat to melt boro but it's slow. The crickett was designed to work off oxy-cons and Lyn is right, it has a powerful concentrating flame. You'd look at this little itsy bitsy torch and think "NO WAY" but you would be wrong.

Here's what I'm gonna say about the Crickett. Pipyr bought one, hooked it up at Playing with Fire, a teaching studio with 10 torches. Ed of PWF bought one for the studio. Sam bought one. Kristi bought one. I bought one. Lyn is hoping for one for Christmas and we're just a little group of people in Maine!

I'm still waiting for my Crickett to arrive. When it does, Pipyr & Ed are going to help me set up quick releases on both my torches so I can swap them out, mini for 104 and crickett for boro.

I think you would love this torch, without knowing the kind of work that you do.

I hope I helped. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-12-08, 7:17am

Yeah, Lyn is not getting one for christmas Finances sux.

But...the studio has one now? (darn it...I'm out of studio time too )

I wanna go PLAY! You goin' down thursday? I can afford an hour!

Old 2008-12-09, 2:17pm
Spectrum rulz

I think I am folding and getting 1 for xmas - well if santa gets the subtle hint - "Can you go and buy me this for xmas" lol. I think I will put quick connects on both torches so I can change them out easily.
Old 2008-12-11, 5:29am
Spectrum rulz

Default Cricket

Ok its official Ms purple cricket is coming to reside with me lol. For people in the states do you know exactly where in Pennsylvania GTT is and how far away it is from Baltimore.
Old 2008-12-11, 10:08am
PyronamixK

GTT is in the SE part of the state. They aren't terribly far from Baltimore - maybe a three-four hour drive.
Old 2008-12-11, 10:47am

Congrats! Please post a followup here so we can find out how it all works out.

Last edited by Rose; 2008-12-12 at 6:34am.
Old 2008-12-12, 1:10am
Spectrum rulz

boo hoo boo hoo GTT cant supply before Tim leaves America - it wasnt meant to be boo hoo boo hoo.
Old 2008-12-12, 10:38am
PyronamixK

That's easy to fix: Extend your stay.
Old 2008-12-12, 10:11pm
Forever

I went from a hot head to a cricket. And then I got a cheap minor cc and I hooked it up and took it off and went back to my cricket. I totally adore that little sucker. It seemed that the minor actually was too hot and I had my tanked oxygen turned down to about 3 and 4. I listen to all of your technical stuff. I am so far behind. Have only been torching for about seven months, but it is so totally addicting.

Right now in my area it is so cold, but I need to go torch. "Need to torch, Need to torch, Need to torch."

You guys up in Maine. Where abouts? My father was from Bangor and we visited up there several times from the High Desert. It is so beautiful up there. Would do anything to move up there, except the winters are kind of brutal as opposed to waht I am use to.

Hope every one has a wonderful Christmas.

HO HO HO
Old 2008-12-13, 7:53am

I'm right IN Bangor...but my folks are down in the Rockland area--near Playing With Fire Studio!

Old 2008-12-14, 7:08pm
The Andrea Half

I LOVE my Cricket! I have a Piranha, and 2 oxycons, but the Cricket is hotter and has a better pinpoint. I didn't think anything in its class could beat my Piranha .... boy, was I wrong.