Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-10, 3:02pm
Dangerous Woman

Tanya what is that blue? It is TDF!!! Kind of a robib's egg blue.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-11, 1:06pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

I've got to second either layering ink blue over white or thinning it down by mixing half & half with clear, or whatever ratio until it gives you the kind of color you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2010-04-11, 4:35pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quick, crappy, I told you I suck at 104 hollows, Lauscha purple.

Sorry; I'll make the picture smaller...

The DSP is for comparison purposes.

Why can't I make the picture smaller!?!?
Attached Images

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2010-04-11 at 5:00pm.
Old 2010-04-11, 5:00pm
Rose colored glasses…√

To heck with it...now I closed out of Adobe accidentally...%#$#&%$!!

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-11, 7:11pm

Chriss you are so sweet to do that! What a beauty! I'm sold on Glassdaddy Purple and the first purple Judith showed. THANK YOU!!
Old 2010-04-11, 7:35pm
LE cat whisperer

Nancy, the blue I used is Uroburos System 96, Turquoise Blue Opal. I put a link to it if you want to check it out. I also put a link to the Rivera Blue Opal. It is a little brighter then the Turquoise Blue Opal, and also very pretty. I love the bright colors that the 96 series carries.

Turquoise Blue Opal

Rivera Blue Opal

Show us the picture of the set you are making once it is completed. I'd love to see it.

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~

Last edited by GlassMigrations; 2010-04-11 at 11:50pm.
Old 2010-04-17, 3:39pm
Steph

Default Transparent purple...

Just saw this, and hope it's not too late for you....

but Czech Glass do a beautiful transparent purple - not too dark, and not too light - it's called "Grape"

Old 2010-04-17, 5:37pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

And I have another alternative to show. Just got this week new glass.
This is Lauscha Dark Violet Transparent (LSNT-250-0609). Looks more amethyst in the rod, but once worked it's a nice purple. Not quite as blue as the Lauscha Blue Violet and a shade lighter.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-17, 5:48pm

That looks like Lauscha Amethyst to me. The dark violet is much darker than that.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-17, 6:22pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I'm not sure Paula ... it's definitely not the Blue Violet which is much darker (see my picture on page one of this thread).

There seem to be many different Lauscha Purples, Violets and Amethysts out there, and funny enough I have the impression that different vendors call them differently.

The color that I ordered is Lauscha Dark Violet Transparent and that's how the rod is labelled. I agree that the rod is looking more like Amethyst. The annealed beads look like a mix between Amethyst and Blue Violet, somewhere in between.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-17, 6:40pm

I think you are right about different dealers calling glass different things! Sometimes there is confusion coming out of Germany too!

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-18, 12:40pm
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
I'm not sure Paula ... it's definitely not the Blue Violet which is much darker (see my picture on page one of this thread).

There seem to be many different Lauscha Purples, Violets and Amethysts out there, and funny enough I have the impression that different vendors call them differently.

The color that I ordered is Lauscha Dark Violet Transparent and that's how the rod is labelled. I agree that the rod is looking more like Amethyst. The annealed beads look like a mix between Amethyst and Blue Violet, somewhere in between.
Yup, Dark Violet transparent - as opposed to Blue Violet Transparent.
As in the pic, the Dark Violet transparent is the sort of reddish one, and Blue Violet transparent has a more blue purple.

There is only one colour tone of the Dark Violet Transparent, but the Blue Violet transparent comes in various tones. (and also comes in light with silver, and dark with silver...)

Hope this helps.

Smiles from Lauscha,
Carol Anne

Old 2010-04-18, 1:51pm

I concur with De De. Check glass' Grape is a wonderful purple and melts beautifully!
Mary T.

Old 2010-04-18, 1:58pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks Tanya. I had to order some multicolor dark so I add some of each of those as well!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-19, 6:36am
state-eternal change

Both of these colours are the same, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
I didn't try Lauscha Famous Purple yet (or Glassdaddy Purple), but it's supposedly the "lighter sister" of this purple.
So I gather it might be pretty close to the Moretti Light Violet.
I'm so in love with the Lauscha transparents right now, I will order the Famous Purple with my next order, that's for sure (and many other Lauscha transparents). They work so nicely and the colors are so crisp & clear compared with the Italian glass. I'm smitten

Old 2010-04-19, 7:12am
Rose colored glasses…√

I love the Czech glass colors; I'd be afraid to be Moretti shards on any of the transparents though. I have some hollows made from the smoky topaz color with Kronos scrolls on top; they've been annealed, and they've not broken yet, but I'm still watching 'em. In fact, it may be time to admit they're fine. It's been about a year. The transparents may be fine with Moretti in slight amounts as embellishments on top. I still wouldn't use any of the transparents as encasement over Moretti.

Old 2010-04-20, 6:46pm

Judith-Another set of gorgeous beads!!!!! Thanks for sharing another possibility. And thanks to CarolAnne for the clarification on the color.
DeDe-Love that set!
Old 2010-04-20, 7:01pm

Yeah CA glad you got my email! Of course I am really confused because my dark purple is almost black and my amethyst looks like that color. I guess that is what happens when an Italian American orders in German...Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-21, 3:13am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Yeah CA glad you got my email! Of course I am really confused because my dark purple is almost black and my amethyst looks like that color. I guess that is what happens when an Italian American orders in German...Paula
... with assistance from an American Canadian living in Germany...

If I use my iPhone to take pictures, it is just going to make things worse because the colours will be all wrong anyways...

and it's snowing here today... and everything is covered with a thin film of crappy filthy dirty disgusting volcanic ash. And I have a black car... d'oh...

Bleh...

Carol Anne

Old 2010-04-21, 9:46am

Oh man sorry you have snow! Id did do a few orders before you got there! LOL! I had no idea what some of the things were even! You can see the colors, btw, on my website! Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-04-22, 10:51am
Will work for glass...

Clear glass encased with CiM Ink Blue. Just awesome.
Old 2010-04-22, 2:20pm
Certified Thread Killer

Thank you, thank you, thank you…for posting a purple thread! I have made a note of all the suggested colors for future reference! I prefer a good purple to an amethyst, and I have TONS of amethyst! I also enjoy CIM Heffalump. How does that compare to crocus?
I am so enjoying the picture examples of the various transparent purples. I guess you can't always rely on the pictures of the paddles because all of those example beads are scrumptious!
Old 2010-05-10, 9:08am
LE cat whisperer

Mary, I was going through my subscribed threads to get rid of the really old stuff. I ran across this one and wanted to know if the "Famous Purple" worked out fo you?

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~