Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-26, 11:41am
I ate a big red candle!

Default Rod holder/warmers

Who uses one of these?

http://www.spiralarts.com/products/p...NSION-p400.htm

Love it? hate it? Does it just collect dust or do you use it all the time?

I've seen a few different people who make them. Any recommendations for one over the other?

I've had my eye on them for years and years and I thought I remembered them being closer to 300 dollars. They're still quite pricey, but at least a little more justifiable.

I've been trying to think of ways to increase efficiency in the studio and I don't have any sort of rod warmer. I preheat the rods in the flame and it's a pain in the butt, particularly for those super fun shocky rods. I know I could buy the electric ones from Sally's but I don't really want another tool that plugs in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-11-26, 12:13pm

I have the one shown on the picture and I love it!

My only issue is a have to take of my rods after I finished.
If I don''t do that before I beginn my next day on torch every seat is taken.

For me it should have four times more chutes. But that would never fit to my workbench.
Old 2012-11-26, 12:19pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomena View Post
I have the one shown on the picture and I love it!

My only issue is a have to take of my rods after I finished.
If I don''t do that before I beginn my next day on torch every seat is taken.

For me it should have four times more chutes. But that would never fit to my workbench.
That sounds like an issue I might end up having. I have gotten better about cleaning up my daily studio mess though

Anybody have experience with the one by Corina?
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/miscpage.php

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-11-26, 5:32pm

I ordered one from Corinabeads; She had (maybe still has?) 30% and I broke down and made the purchase!
It should be arriving any day! I would have nothing to compare it to, so I'm sure I'll be happy!
Claudie
Old 2012-11-26, 5:49pm
Melody of Glass

I have something very similar to this:
http://www.probeauty-supply.com/gold...99fe752012e992

I do find it is hot enough that I can take out rods and put them directly in the flame and I can pile a ton of them in there. If I were to do it again, I'd order the smaller one because it has the flat top that you can put graphite on to warm up murrini or small pieces for assembly. I can put them inside but rods get it the way.

I honestly don't really use it much but I only torch perhaps 6 or 8 hours a week in a few different sessions. It would definitely speed things up for mass production.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-26, 5:55pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clohdeebeads View Post
I ordered one from Corinabeads; She had (maybe still has?) 30% and I broke down and made the purchase!
It should be arriving any day! I would have nothing to compare it to, so I'm sure I'll be happy!
Claudie
I don't see anything about 20% off, so I probably missed it. Darn

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2012-11-27, 2:43am

I have one from Carlo Dona and I love it, couldn't work without it. It's especially very useful for preheating larger rods.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-11-27, 9:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I have something very similar to this:
http://www.probeauty-supply.com/gold...99fe752012e992

I do find it is hot enough that I can take out rods and put them directly in the flame and I can pile a ton of them in there. If I were to do it again, I'd order the smaller one because it has the flat top that you can put graphite on to warm up murrini or small pieces for assembly. I can put them inside but rods get it the way.

I honestly don't really use it much but I only torch perhaps 6 or 8 hours a week in a few different sessions. It would definitely speed things up for mass production.
I have something very similar to this also. I use it every time I torch and love it. Even glass prone to exploding does much better when i use mine. I just automatically turn it on and load up the rods I want to use now.