Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-01, 10:36pm
Burning through glass

Oh I saw that one Libby! It's gorgeous. Thanks for posting it again, that's just an amazing murrini!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-01-01 at 10:40pm.
Old 2009-01-03, 5:03pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAge Studio View Post
Ok, I would just like to share a new bead I just recently posted in the gallery, and it also illustrates the 'thinning' of the murrini glass as it gets pressed.

This is a multi-stage murrini I have been developing, which consists of an original cane, then used in a second set-up along with a new core cane to make an ornate murrini. I now know why you don't usually see this kind of cane/murrini as it took FOREVER to make!

Anyway, if you look at the murrini, you can see there is some white over the red in the petals but is very thin and milky...well, consider this was a solid white layer in the original cane that was pulled and then stretched twice and is now a really wispy white over the red. The red, which is a layer down in the murrini (under the white) is now the dominate color because it is slightly more condensed because of where it sits in the layers...however, you then see the black core peaking through the red and white... and that's under the red layer! So, the red is now semi-opaque because it too is pulled thin so the black underneath shows just a little...so when the murrini is placed on the bead and then pressed, this further thins the colors and creates a fascinating effect that shows most of the layers through to the top...ok, maybe this is too much information. I'm just trying to illustrate that construction (of the murrini), viscosity and heat control has a lot to do with how these elements work.
Sometimes when I make this kind of murrini, I kind of think of it as a really nice baklava with super thin layers of Filo dough...at first when you make it, the dough isn't translucent, but when it's cooked, you can usually see the inner goodness peeking through the wafer thin layers of buttered dough! Oh, the layers! Ok, maybe I'm hungry! I know, I'm rambling!
Your murrini are absolutely GORGEOUS, Renee!!! Will you bring some for me to buy from you when I'm at Best Bead in Tucson??? (or trade for my stuff...I'll also have all the new and best selling Messy Color)--Gail

Old 2009-01-03, 5:16pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
Ohh I should also post my beautiful murrini that was in my sisters collection.
It's part of a larger piece from Loren Stump.
I also posted this in the Gallery.
Holy Moly this is stupendous!!!! I wish I had that kind of talent!

Old 2009-01-04, 12:05pm
disco granola punk

this is a great thread. I started making and trying to work with murrini last summer, and have been frustrating myself with it ever since. it's nice to see a collection of so many methods in one thread because now when I go back to it, I think I'll be able to get past the major issue I've been having with each type of murrini I've been working with! thanks for posting, everyone.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2009-01-05, 3:38pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Joseph View Post
Your murrini are absolutely GORGEOUS, Renee!!! Will you bring some for me to buy from you when I'm at Best Bead in Tucson??? (or trade for my stuff...I'll also have all the new and best selling Messy Color)--Gail
Heck yeah!! I can't wait to see you Gail!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-01-06 at 8:42am.
Old 2009-01-05, 4:35pm

Renee's murrini's are incredible!! Her beads are incredible too!!! We just did a little bead trade, and I got one of her beads and also bought some of her murrini, great stuff! The below photo is a paste of my first try with them (I know, I'm no soft glass pro, but gotta start somewhere). The murrini are more detailed than they appear when you see them at first, and they definitely make a blah bead more interesting!!

Libby... did you know that Frantz is also selling that murrini? For a mere $12,000 . Here's the link to it: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=2172

What a treasure you have there!

Here's my jet age murrini bead, front and back... if a soft glass noobie like me can use it, you gals will be able to do amazing things!!!
Attached Images

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-05, 6:53pm
Mr. Cellophane

Holy smokes Helen I didn't know that. Here is a better picture of it. See the my angel in the lower right corner?
http://www.stumpchuck.com/madonna.html

Not sure how much my sister paid for it, but I know she was sooo excited to buy it.

Libby

Old 2009-01-05, 8:01pm

Libby... can I ask, why is it only part of the murrini?? Does he cut up one murrini and sell them in parts? (yours is the best part btw).

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-05, 9:15pm
Life is change. Love it

Libby, that murrini is absolutely amazing.

I love Renee's murrini. I am really a horribly lazy beadmaker, and if I can rely on someone else to do some of the more tedious stuff I will (thanks Renee!)

Here are a couple of sets made with her lovely products. I just let the murrini colours guide me, and I have followed her mini-tut with great success

Thanks again Renee!

Old 2009-01-06, 8:04pm
Mr. Cellophane

Carolyn those are beautiful!

Helen the full murrinni is pictured in link to Lorens website.
Click on the link that says more pictures and you will see the individual canes used to make the "whole" murinni.
So the whole murinni is made of smaller parts that are pre-heated and then joined to together to form the larger full piece.
I think Loren said he only got about 10-12 slices of the larger whole piece.

It can take months to finish a piece like this.

Libby

Old 2009-01-06, 9:39pm

Thanks Libby... that is the most incredible murrini ever... but of course everyone knew that! Beautiful.

Carolyn, those are wonderful too, it's amazing how much detail are in those teeny murrini too!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-07, 3:20am

Default I second that!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
OK this...this is what makes LE great. A little thread helping out other beadmakers with those who have been doing it for a long, long, time and those who have been doing it for just a while.
Pam to me is one of our greats and Lea's beads were some of the first I collected for my
"bead museum" in my studio.

I know I am sounding corny, but to me THIS is what it's all about, and the sad thing is that only a couple of people will see it. Oh well.

Kevan tell us how it worked out.
I am a passive member of this forum.
But I am amazed at the time and effort taken by Beadmakers ( famous ones... and regular folks) to help others
If we could only apply this good faith and spirit of sharing to other aspects of life our world would be a better place,
Thank you all for your wisdom, knowledge and Generosity.
Old 2009-01-08, 4:27pm

I was fortunate enough to see Loren's Madonna Murrini in various stages of completion. It took him over two years to complete the entire piece. 10 or 12 pieces is on target for the completed piece. It is a huge Da Vinci painting reduced to the size of the palm of your hand. I've seen the painting and the glass piece and the detail Loren re-created is amazing.
Joan
Old 2009-01-10, 7:25pm
Cali4nia baby

Wow ! Renee Your murrini is 2DIE4 !!! thanks everyone ... I have been having probs with murrini too...Finally - This will work for me ! thank yu sooo much

Last edited by FairyVerre; 2009-01-10 at 7:32pm. Reason: added
Old 2009-01-11, 7:02pm
Entropy increasing....

With Renee's doodlies and all the help from this thread.

Last edited by Kevan; 2009-01-11 at 7:05pm.
Old 2009-01-11, 7:42pm
Duchess of Dichro

Thats beautiful Kevan !!!!

Old 2009-01-12, 2:28am

Wow Kevan!! That's beautiful!!!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2009-01-12, 2:57am
Entropy increasing....

Thank you! I'm all into it now. I'm putting doodlies on everything. I'll have to try some one a goddess. lol
Old 2009-01-12, 3:25am
Gimme that silver glass!

Here's another fan of Renee's murrini! I love to use them in all my work lately!

And I love them on my Crunchies as well!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-01-12, 10:30am

Thanks everyone for all of your tricks and tips. I think I have been heating the murrini too much and pressing too fast. I will try again and the pics here are loverly/
Old 2009-01-12, 5:30pm
Duchess of Dichro

That bead is Soo dreamy Kevan , I named it sherbert parfait for you Yes I have back to visit it a few times !

Old 2012-05-19, 4:28am
what's a senior moment ?

Since I've been having a little trouble applying murrini lately, I decided it was time for a refresher lesson. What a GREAT thread this is !

Old 2012-11-30, 7:25pm
Pincel de Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
i have a slightly different approach, as i don't have a diamond saw, lea!!!!, i take a graphite rod the approximate diameter of the murini, or other tool that won't stick to the glass, and make an indention in the glass the approximate depth of the murini. Take the heated murini from the lip of my kiln and place it in the indention (after heating the indention slightly, of course). Apply a little heat and flatten the murini so that it fits the hole and then heat the whole area to fuse the glasses together. That's it.
you are genius!!!!

/
/
Old 2012-11-30, 8:28pm
No Longer an LE Member

bye

Last edited by Dr Bill; 2013-08-03 at 8:04am.