Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-28, 8:26am

Default Plunged florals look flat

I made some florals, plunged, encased (soft glass). The flowers just look flat. Even the plunge hardly shows, except for the bubble in the middle. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-28, 8:31am
I like to melt things

It sounds like you might not be getting them hot enough when you are plunging them? Try heating up the whole flower (nice and hot and liquid) rather than just the centre and plunging deeper when the glass is more fluid,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Old 2012-11-28, 8:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

Or............after you have plunged them and encased, you are working them too hot to shape and you lose the bubble. Work cooler.

Old 2012-11-28, 9:00am

Another tip I used was you get the flower hot like everyone says take it out of the flame and allow just the surface to cool forming a bit of a skin, then when you poke the centre it draws the petals down with it. When I was working on my timing for this I made a bead with as many flowers on it as possible then I focused the flame on the flower watched for the glow took it out and just before the glow disappeared I would poke. It's all about the timing which comes from repeating a few times. Using a transparent on top helps too.

Old 2012-11-28, 9:50am
Jacqueline Parkes

I went and made a test floral to see if I can remember how I create them as it has been awhile. Deb is correct. You want to allow the glass to set slightly before plunging. And again, I work very cool. The flame is only about 1/4" high.

Just like Windows for your computer , there are many ways to accomplish the same task. This is just how I do it.

Test bead that has already cracked. Hmmm, now I feel like making florals, darn.

Old 2012-11-28, 11:47am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Might be a silly question but do you encase your base bead before making the flowers?
I remember that my flowers used to look flat as well when I wasn't encasing the base bead.

And thanks to Jacqueline, I am now using a mandrel to make the plunge so I get a better result.

Old 2012-11-28, 1:43pm
Lampworkaholic!

I encase the base with clear, then add my shards, vines and flowers, poke the flowers and then encase the entire bead.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-28, 2:20pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Elizabeth! Nice bead! I love the dichro!

Old 2012-11-28, 10:27pm

Encase, then plunge...I wasn't doing that. I don't think Corina's book teaches it that way? But I will give it a try. Thanks!

Old 2012-11-29, 1:06am

Whether you encase or not in each case it will give you a different look. When you place your dots for flower on your practise bead (I always make a practise one not worrying about the base design) try a few different ways.
1) just opaque dots for petals, focus flame on centre of flower bring to a glow plunge right away
2) just opaque dots for petals, focus flame on the center of flower to a glow, pull out of the flame pause..... waiting for glow to almost disappear then plunge
3)opaque dots for petals then apply a transparent dot on top of each opaque petal, heat as in 1
4)opaque dots for petals then apply a transparent dot on top of each opaque petal, heat as in 2
5)opaque dots for petals then apply a transparent dot on top of each opaque petal heat then take a small knife or the side of your pick and put a crease down each petal when done heat again, pause then plunge.
I really like the effect from the process in #5 as making the crease in each petal really gives it more depth. It is more time consuming though.
Please take pictures of your progress and ask more question and we will all gives tips to get you the effect you want.

Old 2012-11-29, 4:03am

Very pretty bead, Elizabeth! Do we have a plunged florals thread in the gallery? Maybe I should start one!

Old 2012-11-29, 4:52am
Unmedicated since '62

theres actually a thread here somewhere on how to plunge florals, some really good advice is in there - damned if i can find it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-11-29, 11:55am

The plunged hole in your flowers looks very tiny compared to the size of the petals so you are not dragging most of the petals down, only the very center of the flowers. Try either to use a larger poke or to poke deeper and not to have the glass too hot when you do it. Also make sure you don't reheat before adding the drop of clear that makes the bubble and don't hesitate to make it large so that when you encase, it pushes a larger part of the petals deeper down.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-11-30, 10:57am

Pretty bead, Gems. I couldn't see it on my work computer the other day!

Old 2012-11-30, 10:59am

My other problem: There's always always always at least one deformed petal...grrrr!

Old 2012-11-30, 11:11am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

It's because you are working too hot.
And be sure that you heat only your clear when you are encasing!

Old 2012-12-01, 9:07pm

Don't worry about the one petal that looks off in nature flowers are not perfectly formed go with the flow. People are more drawn to colours that are put together well than perfectly form petals, and your colours look great. Have you gone back to the torch with any of the tips that were mentioned above.