Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-04-19, 5:47pm

Default Sundance Kit

Would this kit with the Nortel mega minor be good for a beginner?
http://www.sundanceglass.com/kitslamp6.htm
Old 2013-04-19, 7:02pm
I fart diamonds

It's overpriced because it contains a bunch of stuff that's not necessary and you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Seriously. Plastic containers? For what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-04-19, 9:45pm
Salt Box Beads

I think it is a great buy. I paid around 300 just for one regulator alone, course it was a very nice one from Airgas.

You can use the plastic containers for any shards you buy. Keeps them from breaking.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:22pm
I fart diamonds

Sorry, but I disagree and this is why:

$504 for their Mega Minor kit is definitely not a great buy because:

The torch is only $199. I just paid $29 for a brand new Oxy regulator and $27 for a 25' hose set. A propane regulator is $60-$80, depending on brand and where you buy. So that's just a little over $300 to get set up. You can get a lot of better tools specific to what you need for $200. (If you're even using tanked oxygen. If you're using oxycons, you don't even need an oxy regulator.)

Plastic containers can be purchased at the dollar store, if you even need them. A graphite paddle like theirs is around $10. Most of the other stuff they show can be purchased for less than $5.

If they were putting quality tools in the kit, I might say yes, but the stuff they're including is just filler crap.

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-04-20 at 9:46am.
Old 2013-04-20, 9:30am

Gotta agree with Shawnette. This kit is overpriced. Best to piece this out and shop around for what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Sorry, but I disagree and this is why:

Sorry, but I still disagree. $504 for their Mega Minor kit is definitely not a great buy and here is why:

The Torch is only $199. I just paid $29 for a brand new Oxy regulator and $27 for a 25' hose set. A propane regulator is $60-$80, depending on brand and where you buy. So that's just a little over $300 to get set up. You can get a lot of better tools specific to what you need for $200. (If you're even using tanked oxygen. If you're using oxycons, you don't even need an oxy regulator.)

Plastic containers can be purchased at the dollar store, if you even need them. A graphite paddle like theirs is around $10. Most of the other stuff they show can be purchased for less than $5.

If they were putting quality tools in the kit, I might say yes, but the stuff they're including is just filler crap.
Old 2013-04-20, 10:07am
Salt Box Beads

I probably should have been more specific as to why I think it is a great buy.
It has everything a beginner would need and more. Certainly a lot more than I started off with.

Regardless of the quality the tools should work just fine. The kit is from a reputable business so that is a plus.

My main plus for this kit has to do with the economy and the high costs of piecing together a kit, using gas, time, and shipping costs, for me and for someone that just wants to get started right away, no waiting I think this is a great deal with a kit that is more than adequate.

Why spend high dollars on quality tools ( we all know kits have the lower priced items most of the time) when as you get a little more experienced you might not even want that tool. You can read in the garage how many peeps have tools for sale or trade and say I never used it...

If after a few months on the torch the OP really loves a certain tool they can invest in a really nice one.

That's all I was trying to say. A kit that would be quick, fast, adequate and I remember how excited I was to get started...I just couldn't wait for tools and supplies to arrive.

Okay Again I apologize for not really explaining why I thought it would be a great kit for beginning lampworking, I do see both sides though. This type of thread is good because it shows different sides for the OP's. Isn't LE wonderful?!

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-04-20 at 2:36pm.
Old 2013-04-20, 7:39pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I looked more into piecing out my own kit and I think I am going to go that route. That kit does have some things that I don't feel are necessary and missing some things that I feel are necessary. And I will be running off of natural gas so I don't really need the gas reg.
Old 2013-04-20, 9:45pm
Missing presumed fed

I agree that there's stuff in there you don't need, or may not want.

You need your torch, hoses, maybe regulators (if you're using an oxygen concentrator, you don't need an oxy reg), didymium/ACE glasses, something to light your torch (I do like a striker, which they call a spark lighter -- some people don't, but if you use matches or a lighter get them OFF your work table as soon as your flame is lit), a graphite paddle, something with a sharp pointy tip (a pick of some sort), tweezers or needlenose pliers (one pair of tweezers, with a pointy tip -- you don't need a whole set), and something with a thin edge, which can be a nonserrated table knife, a palette knife, a paring knife, or a razor blade held in an X-acto knife handle.

If you plan to make beads, you need bead release (Fusion is a good basic one) and at least 3 dozen mandrels. I'd start with the 3/32 thickness, which is sort of the standard, and is easier for a beginner to manage than thinner mandrels.

I have nippers like the green handled ones in the kit, and couldn't manage without them. I also like having a graphite pad on the table.

The rod rest is also a useful thing to have. You might want more than one.

Tweezer mashers are useful but not essential.

I'm not sure anybody actually uses the little holey thing (which they call a pattern roller surface).

I see "marble mold" in the description but not in the picture. You don't need a marble mold for anything except making marbles. If you do want to make marbles, you want to choose your mold with some care to make sure it's what you really want.

You don't need the diamond dressing bits (and it's interesting that they don't include any kind of holder for the bits). I've used diamond tips in a Dremel to clean up bead holes, but you don't strictly need them. (Ideally, all your beads will have nice smooth holes that don't need any clean up, but nobody's perfect.)

What you also need, and nobody ever puts in a kit, is a fire extinguisher. Keep it handy and hope you'll never need to use it -- but get one!

Last edited by Emily; 2013-04-20 at 9:47pm.
Old 2013-04-20, 10:09pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGuidry View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I looked more into piecing out my own kit and I think I am going to go that route. That kit does have some things that I don't feel are necessary and missing some things that I feel are necessary. And I will be running off of natural gas so I don't really need the gas reg.
Glad you were able to come to a happy decision.
Old 2013-04-21, 6:00am

I agree this particular kit is overpriced. I bought my National m-8 torch from Sundance and they are great supplier with good people.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-04-27, 8:03am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/nortel-minor...vip=true&rt=nc
So after going back and forth a lot about what torch to get I came across this on ebay and could not pass it up. I would have paid more for all the other stuff alone and now I have a nice little starter torch until I can afford a lynx or something like that.
Old 2013-04-27, 9:33am
They see me rollin'...

That looks like a good deal! I've used a minor in classes and it is a good torch.

-Patti
Old 2013-04-30, 8:28pm
I fart diamonds

That's a great deal!

Old 2013-04-30, 10:50pm
Missing presumed fed

Looks like a good deal! The Minor is a small torch but it's a workhorse -- sturdy and reliable.

Looks like the little bit of glass that the seller is including is boro (borostix).
Old 2013-05-08, 8:14am
kiwi ( new zealand)

a good deal and do not get kit from Sundance they over price i got a kit from them years ago i could save $500 if i new back then.

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio
Old 2013-05-08, 11:57am

Actually, that eBay kit is one of our kits. It's a Kit#5, probably still have the fiber blanket from when it was ordered a year or 2 ago.