Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-25, 5:50pm
one day at a time

Default Does anyone use 5/64" mandrels?

I have a bunch of these and was wondering if anyone uses them for boro beads. Also, out of curiosity, does anyone make boro beads on 1/16" mandrels, or for me, is that just wishful thinking??

I have no problem using 3/32" or larger though.
Old 2010-04-25, 5:57pm
In search of her path....

When I was doing lots of boro stuff 1/16 were a waste of time for me just not thick enough
the 5/64 were PERFECT they are my favorite size of mandrel to use and held up well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2010-04-25, 6:14pm
one day at a time

Thanks, Karin! That's good to know, because I have used 1/16" in the past and I thought it was just my inexperience when I burnt through a few of them. Snap! Bead hits the table, and I'm left with a globby ended sparking mandrel. hehe
Old 2010-04-25, 6:55pm
Covered in glitter

I burn through the 3/32 too. I like the bigger ones for boro.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-25, 11:22pm
Alaska Boro

Default Boro Bead

With boro it is just a matter of turning down the flame and working carefully. Have not yet burned through a 1/16 mandrel. This is an image, much larger than life size, of a bead made with a 1/16 mandrel using boro. The actual size is 11.69 mm (diam) and 7.01 mm (thickness).

On my monitor the bead is 7 times larger than its real size.
Old 2010-04-26, 11:36pm
Fire and Fluidity

I use 1/16 mandrels sometimes. The trick is to use a neutral or reducing flame, because an oxidizing flame can burn through a thin mandrel very quickly. Its the oxygen cutting torch effect, steel actually does burn in excess oxygen!

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-04-30, 12:10pm
Covered in glitter

Seriously...! I never thought of that. I'll have to try it because I can burn through damn near anything. LOL

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-11, 9:50am
onebizebee

I have done quick small beads on the 1/16th mandrels no problems! I just work a lot farther back in the flame!
Old 2010-05-17, 4:37pm

I have used 1/16 only for my boro beads for at least the last 6 years, I have only burnt through maybe 4 mandrels? sometimes I will use the bigger ones if I have a special request. but I hate designing jewelry with those giant holes sucking up all my accent beads.