Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-08, 9:48am
Harold Williams Cooney

Default Old Schoolers List - Looking for hands who have turned glass for decades.

Old Schoolers List - Looking for hands who have turned glass for decades.

So after reading some recent posts, I have started thinking that I need to reevaluate the number of decade and multidecade boro bead makers who I would guess are out there in the world; I think I have underestimated.

I would like to make a list of 'very experienced' mostly boro flameworkers / mostly boro bead makers.

I know from my own experience that it took me ten years to understand that I didn't know shit, but at the same time the decade mark was very powerful too; it meant something important even if it was just another beginning marker along the path.

Post the number of decades of experience you have in lampworking.

Less than one, not so cool.
One, you're just a newbie.
Two, welcome to the fellowship of flameworkers.
Three, you are now your own glass master.
Four, you have forgotten more lampworking knowledge then most will ever know.
Five or more, your lampworking prowess is sufficiently advanced as to appear as magic; you are the definition of glass master.

As of spring 2010:

HWCGlass ----- Harold Williams Cooney ----- 1999, one decade
fyrsmith ----- Don ----- 1987, two decades
Kalera ----- Kalera ----- 1992, almost two decades
patienthIF-Designs ----- Candice ----- 1977, three decades
glassactcc ----- glassactcc ---- 1998, one decade
Jamn! ----- Heidi ----- 1998, one decade
chayes ----- Chris ----- 2000, one decade
grrlartist ----- grrlartist ----- 1993, almost two decades
gemsinbloom ----- gemsinbloom ----- 1998, one decade
IF-Designs -----IF-Designs ----- 2000, one decade
szglassy ----- szglassy -----1993, almost two decades
Firebrand Beads ----- Jenny ----- 1991, almost two decades
Mr. Smiley ----- Brent Graber ----- 2000, one decade
Bunyip ----- Chris ----- 2000, one decade
midniteburner ----- Sara ----- 2000, one decade
wisco lala ----- wisco lala ----- 2000, one decade
pjmarchwinds ----- pjmarchwinds ----- 1999, one decade
Jami ----- Jami ----- 2000, one decade
lluviabrito ----- lluviabrito ----- 1995, one decade
oldschooltofu ----- oldschooltofu ----- 1998, one decade

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HWCGlass; 2010-05-22 at 8:31am.
Old 2010-05-08, 9:49am
Harold Williams Cooney

Harold Williams Cooney

Stared lampworking January 1999; so that gives me a lowly 1.1 decades.

Just a newbie.

Old 2010-05-08, 12:23pm
Fire and Fluidity

In the early 1970's I was a potter and owned a crafts gallery and stoneware pottery teaching studio. I had lots of extra room that I rented out to other craftspeople to teach classes. In 1974 Ellen Goese, a student of John Burton, taught a few classes there. I have been working boro ever since, but I consider the workshop I took at Pilchuck in 1987 the real beginning of my serious affair with boro. So that's a little over two decades.
-Don-

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-05-08, 12:23pm
Fire and Fluidity

double post

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2010-05-13 at 3:51pm.
Old 2010-05-08, 1:09pm
I'm a lilac!

I started flameworking in 1992 with soft glass; boro maybe about ten years ago? I don't remember anymore.

Old 2010-05-08, 6:07pm

I've posted my longevity in glass before somewhere, but I won't now.
Your system is fatally flawed, Harold, because you can't measure learning and ability by the amount of years someone has been working with glass. It's not Dungeons and Dragons .
For example, some people do one thing all their lives, improve that one particular thing, but in the end it's just that one thing, can you call them a master of glass, no way, that person is the master of making that one thing. Can you call the man who still makes horrid blobs after 60 years a master ... no way, because there's no understanding of anything. Can you call the kid who's been making glass for 4 years and come out with amazing new stuff that's jawdroppingly astounding a master? Probably ... some people are naturals.
A lot of people don't understand that it's a state of mind and a way of life ... and I refuse to be boxed.
Suffice it to say that I'm not that kid and neither am I the guy who's been doing crap for 60 years.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-05-09, 4:10am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I started working full time in glass in 1977. I think I am also in agreement with Wicked glass, I fall somewhere in the middle of the curve as far as talent goes. I have some things I have sort of perfected because it was bread and butter work, and other things I am just now exploring. whats important is, I am having fun and sharing.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-09, 7:17am

Going on 12 years for me.

Old 2010-05-09, 8:12am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
Your system is fatally flawed, Harold, because you can't measure learning and ability by the amount of years someone has been working with glass.
You are, of course, absolutely correct.

To make woven pianos, loop stitch islands with palm tree or bears with sparkly balloons in hand from a mall booth for twenty years takes heart. A lot of heart. And to me that means something.

To work for twenty years at thirty cents an hour, six days a week in a Chinese factory on copper mandrels with no ventilation, with no vocational future and with no visible end or contextual purpose to the work being done, to me, would mean that a person would have a deep understanding of the material in a shade of light far beyond my comprehension. I believe people let themselves undervalue the impressiveness of a factory worker's skill and stallwardness to protect there own definitions of independence, success and mastery. To live life with glass, to pay - even at a slave's wages - the cost of love and kinship through the process of lampworking to me is impressive.

The dude who has been working boro tube for twenty years only to find that his work is less impressive in skill, concept and quality than those who are new to the game; he knows. He can see. He understands that the world has passed his mastery by. And yet, he still pays the rent on his shop, fills his tanks, drinks his coffee and gets to work every day. And to me, this is impressive. It shows love. Love for self and for glass. It means a lot to me.

What is a master? Is it a person's combined skill as tallied against the skills of all others? Me personally, I don't see it that way.

I see glass as a bucking bronco. If you can hold on, you're the man.

We are all called upon to measure our own skills against our own lives. There is no signing ceremony with the president, no ticker-tape parade, no joyously hoisted trophy for the title glass master. It is a self proclaimed achievement; one may see themselves as master or see another as master and may only do so in comparison to the skills, achievements and fortitude of their own hearts.

Time is impressive. Even if the results are questionable.

I respect the old schoolers simply because I would like to be one. I place them on a pedestal so that I may have a point to aim at.

People who know glass, know because of time. Time is impressive.

Time is the rarest, most impressive element in any endeavor. The honorable persons who have given this career their all, who are for that reason the real glass masters, are to me lampworking treasures.

But I will admit and will not attempt to denigh, that time is indeed a fatally flawed method by which to measure learning ability, skill or achievement.

Last edited by HWCGlass; 2010-05-09 at 8:38am.
Old 2010-05-09, 8:40am

I like this phrase it's worth repeating.
Old 2010-05-09, 8:49am
boro color bender

I see glass as a wild horse... some times it bucks... some times it lets you ride swiftly, but smoothly... glass is a temperamental creature and it's beauty is not limited to it's physical appearance. If my glass life was "easy" all the time, I'd quit and do something harder. So far, I'm a baby in the grand scheme of things... i have so much to learn... hopefully i work glass on the day i die... be it later today or 50 years from now!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-09, 8:59am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
You are, of course, absolutely correct.

I'm going to paint this on my bench above my torch.

Old 2010-05-09, 10:47am
Glassy Broad :-)

I love this:

Can we all steal...er...um....borrow it Harold???

I am just a baby when it comes to glass. Even tho I am now past the half century mark. I have held it in my hands and gazed at it's loveliness all my life.
Glasses, vases, Christmas ornaments, cut glass, all of it!
I will never be a master, but a willing apprentice forever
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-05-11, 7:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I started flameworking in 1992 with soft glass; boro maybe about ten years ago? I don't remember anymore.
No kidding!!

I started lampworking before I had my 3rd child... He is 11 now. I think its about 12 or 13 years so but I have no idea. I wasn't on the internet at first. Back in those days you had to sort of figure out how to make a round bead even for yourself unless you were more internet savvy than I was!

I started with a hot head and would stick my beads in a coffee can with vermiculite to cool down. I didn't anneal anything and when I asked for someone to help me get them annealed so I could do something with them, Lenda annealed them for me and sent them back with some of her beads!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-05-11, 8:22am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
No kidding!!

I started lampworking before I had my 3rd child... He is 11 now. I think its about 12 or 13 years so but I have no idea. I wasn't on the internet at first. Back in those days you had to sort of figure out how to make a round bead even for yourself unless you were more internet savvy than I was!

I started with a hot head and would stick my beads in a coffee can with vermiculite to cool down. I didn't anneal anything and when I asked for someone to help me get them annealed so I could do something with them, Lenda annealed them for me and sent them back with some of her beads!
Totally!

I remember scouring the internet for hours hoping for some mention of lampworking, and my utter thrill when the Cindy Jenkins book came out. I'd been flailing in the darkness for so long it was like a minor miracle! The best part, for me, was the pictures of work by other glass beadmakers. Wow! It was like a light bulb came on, and instead of an empty room, I found myself standing in a museum full of beauty.

After that, all kinds of things went boom; thanks to the internet I found the ISGB, the local community, Bullseye... and it just keeps getting better!

Old 2010-05-11, 10:45am

Yes hers was the first book I read too Kalera!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-05-11, 2:24pm
product of the universe

I just hit the 10 year mark behind the torch, I started April 2000.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-05-11, 2:35pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
I just hit the 10 year mark behind the torch, I started April 2000.
Well then, I wonder where you'll be in another 10 year? Seems to me you're already way up there

Old 2010-05-11, 2:52pm
boro color bender

A lot of us started around 2000... I can't wait to see where we are in another 10 years as well.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-11, 4:43pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Okay, I'll ask, "Hay, Smiley, when did ya start lampworking?"

Old 2010-05-11, 5:03pm
MacGalver

17 years here. Over 90% soft glass.

Old 2010-05-11, 5:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

At least twelve years.

Old 2010-05-11, 5:10pm
In search of her path....

Ive been making glass and boro beads since around 2000 / 2001 I know I dont post stuff often enough but ive been around cough cough lol.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-05-11, 5:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
hopefully i work glass on the day i die... be it later today or 50 years from now!
Careful what you wish for, my father dropped dead at his torch ... but not before turning it off ... he was only 63 ...

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:18pm
szglassy

My first glass experience was a class at Urban Glass 1993.
Flamework 101 with Sally Parash and a " beadmaking" weekend w/ Dennis Brining.
Penland summer 1995 w/James Minson.
I've been locked in my studio ever since and lovin' every minnute of it
Old 2010-05-11, 7:36pm

almost 19 years for me, but you're not really counting soft glass, are you?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-05-12, 4:44am
boro color bender

I started just before my daughter was born... and she was born in 2000... it may have been late 1999, but i use 2000 because i really don't know an exact date... i think I was too wrapped up in melting stuff to pay attention to anything else. Not much has changed...

Old 2010-05-12, 5:58am
Pyromaniac

I started lampworking in 1999-2000 as well. It's been an on-and-off thing, so while I may have the calendar 1.1 decades, I think realistically it's only about half that.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-05-12, 6:29am
ManBearPig

Just remember... it's hours at the torch that count, not years...

I've only been working with glass since 2004, but in that time I've put in more hours than some people I know who have been "working" since the early 90's...

Old 2010-05-12, 6:43am
She's Back & Burnin'

Next month makes my 10 year anniversary! Whoo hoo!!!

You know you are an addict when you have to make a bead before your first cup of coffee

Sara