Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-09-15, 4:58pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Kimberly - (kbinkster) - I am trying to send you a PM but your message box is full!
Sorry about that! I'll go clean it out (again).
Old 2008-09-15, 5:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I will try hooking up a Cricket to my Invacare (5 psi) set at 5 LPM and my Integra10 (8 psi) set at 5 LPM to approximate your set-up and see what happens.

Have you tried running the oxycons and opening the torch oxygen valve all the way without a flame going?
yes, I have - I'll send you that PM now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-15, 8:42pm
Boro Brat

I got mine today!! It's so beautiful It's Sparkle green with sparkle green knobs.

I've spent all day trying to get my painting/mm studio together (cleaning, organizing, getting stuff together to go in storage) so I can take all the mm stuff out of my glass studio so I can get in there properly Can you tell I spend a lot more time working at the studio in Rockland? Anyway, I made a lot of progress and I can't wait to hook it up this weekend! Woooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, my knob ends do have the red and green on them, so I think they generally do come that way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-15, 8:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

In discussion with Kimberly, the oxycon situation with my Cricket is fine!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-16, 4:24am

I was called last week, but my phone was out of order. I called back friday and my Cricket will be shipped today! I'm so excited!
The only drawback is that I do'nt have money to buy an oxycon, so I'll store it first with a friend, to be able to try him out.
I hope I have a possitive balance at the end of next month, so that I can get a concentrator.

(being a student is hard sometimes, I'm looking forward to the day of my first paycheck)

Old 2008-09-16, 7:13am

UPS should be here today.....

Old 2008-09-16, 7:26am

Today is my day....waiting...somewhat patiently for the big brown truck.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-09-16, 8:07am

I am soooo jealous!!!!!!!!!

granny
Old 2008-09-16, 10:03am

Got it ! Looks GREAT !

Old 2008-09-16, 12:56pm
Borovangelist

Mine's comin' tomorrow. It's nice that UPS calls ahead to tell you there's a package with a signature required coming though.

So hoping this torch is as awesome as I think it'll be. This time a year I'm spending 30-40 a week on oxygen, so any savings for working on smaller stuff will be welcome.

|
|
Old 2008-09-16, 4:19pm
Satake Woman!

Ok, I tested out the cricket today. I'm running on two 5 lpm concentrators. I compared it to the betta I was using by making the same boro pendant, same size, same glass. My working time went from 18 minutes with the betta to 8 minutes with the cricket. I'm hooked! Colors like DAP were much easier to get color out of as well. A+ from me.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-09-16, 4:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The color issue was the main reason I bought the cricket. I want to be able to work boro and keep it HOT, which I think the cricket will do better than the minor.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-16, 6:21pm
Satake Woman!

Squid, it most definitely does! I couldn't be happier with the cricket.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-09-16, 6:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Yay!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-16, 7:46pm

Maybe I will have to get the cricket I have a betta and am on one concentrator. I want to do boro

Old 2008-09-16, 8:14pm

Mine came late today. I have hoses on it and will fire it tomorrow. It is such a little cutie.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-09-17, 5:58am
Happiness is....

I've been ignoring this thread for almost 2 months, just read it and I have a betta and 2 5-oxy-cons.....off to figure out how to order this cute little torch.....Thanks y'all for feeding the I want it, I gotta have it, monster!!! LOL!!!

ETA Have I missed it? a pic of the face of the torch?? How many holes does it have? 7?

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons

Last edited by krisdaka; 2008-09-17 at 6:02am.
Old 2008-09-17, 6:56am
PyronamixK

It has five jets.
Old 2008-09-17, 8:43am
Happiness is....

thanks Kimberly.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-09-17, 10:18am
PyronamixK

You're welcome.

GTT's original concept was to build a torch that would work well with the concentrators already out there (specifically the 5 LPM reconditioned medical units), since affordable concentrator technology hasn't kept up with torches.

A lot of hard work went into engineering and perfecting this unique design. It looks simple, but it's really not. It was over a year and a half in development. To get the right flame chemistry in a torch that was not only built for low pressure, but also for low flow was a challenge. Making it affordable was another challenge. There was a lot of prototyping - a lot of variations of this design were built along the way that just didn't cut it. GTT stuck with the challenge, perfected the design, and built the highest quality torch they could at an economical price. It is hot and clean and can work both soft glass and boro while running on a concentrator and can also get a wide range of flame shapes/sizes. To quote a friend of mine, "I think they batted it out of the park with this one."

Here's a picture of the face:
Old 2008-09-17, 2:40pm
Evil Glass Enabler

We got ours! Pretty, pretty sparkley purple, great packing. I can hardly wait to try it and see if the MU likes it. It was rescheduled to arrive today and went to the main hub in NC first. However! We have it!!!!! Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2008-09-17, 8:21pm
Boro Brat

I got a chance to try mine on a single 5 lpm oxy con today and I don't think I could possibly be more impressed with it.

When GTT says they have a torch that can do this and that, I trust them because I know they wouldn't claim anything that isn't 100% true...soooo...I was expecting the cricket to be a good little torch, especially for people who wanted to get a bit more out of their concentrators.

In reality, what I realized today very quickly is that this is actually a FANTASTIC little torch (regardless of your oxygen source) and blows everything else out of the water as far as the amount of heat you can get out of a little concentrator (including the betta, the minor, and the mini cc). Even on a little oxy con, you can actually get this torch to give you some pressure in your flame and the heat is clean and penetrating and melts boro beautifully. Oh and the pinpoint flame is excellent...really excellent.

I definitely plan to use this torch for a lot of my smaller work. It's brilliant.

Old 2008-09-17, 8:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I used mine tonight and the transition from my minor was easier than I thought it would be. This little torch is HOT HOT HOT. One thing I noticed was that the adjustments are more sensitive than my minor - I need to lower my regulator on my propane so a tiny movement of the knob makes a small adjustment.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-18, 2:35am

Pipyr thanks for your words! I now know I ordered the best torch for my needs! It is always exciting when you order something that hasn't been tested by a lot of people before. I can't wait to try it out!
Pipyr do you make implosions or marbles in boro? I would like to know how long it takes to make a small pendant. Whit small I mean 3/4 to 1 inch. Is there someone who can give me an estimate?

Old 2008-09-18, 7:31am

It is no secret that I like GTT torches. I have the Bobcat through the Cheetah, so when this one came out, I thought it would be a great little demonstration torch to replace the Bobcat when I do shows.

Yesterday I hooked it up, and before I realized it I had torched away the day. What a delightful little torch. Raku 104 rocked, the silver-laden glasses shimmered, and I found the torch to go from reducing to sharp-oxy flame with ease on my old 5 lpm concentrator. It's not a Cheetah, nor a Lynx, nor a Bobcat...it is a perfect little beading torch all on its own, and has earned its place on my workbench full time.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-09-18, 8:15am
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompedom View Post
Pipyr thanks for your words! I now know I ordered the best torch for my needs! It is always exciting when you order something that hasn't been tested by a lot of people before. I can't wait to try it out!
Pipyr do you make implosions or marbles in boro? I would like to know how long it takes to make a small pendant. Whit small I mean 3/4 to 1 inch. Is there someone who can give me an estimate?
I don't typically make implosions and such, but when Ed was playing with it he made some rather large gathers and made a pretty good size boro bead and said it took no longer than it would have with the lynx on tanks for pieces that size. I melted a small gather on the end of a 6 mil in seconds. This thing has some truly penetrating heat. The flame is narrow but very focused and really has some drive. I was really blown away by the amount of heat in this thing!!

I'll be playing at home with it this weekend and if you like I'll test it with a small implosion. I wanted to get some pics of the flame anyway to show everyone.

Old 2008-09-18, 8:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It really is quite hot. The sides of the flame were noticeably hotter than my minor - I was burning my fingers trying to use a short that I an usually easily use on my minor.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-18, 12:41pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

After all the watching and reading. I emailed them on monday and they called today to get my info. I am excited to finally get my own torch. (I share a minor with my husband) Thank you everyone who has posted info in this thread. It made it easy to make my decision for a new torch! Happy as always, Lili
Old 2008-09-18, 5:26pm
are we there yet?

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I hooked my torch tonight and noticed on the instructions that it said to use 1/4" tubing. I looked at what was written on my tubing and it is 3/8" that I got from ABR and was using it with my Minor. Geez, I don't want to have to order new tubing and wait for it to come, I want to try my Cricket now!!! Will somebody please tell me that it is okay to use the same tubing.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-09-18, 9:49pm
PyronamixK

Is it 3/8" ID (inner diameter) or OD (outer diameter)? If it fits the barbs of the Minor, it should be 1/4" ID. 1/4" is pretty standard.