LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-30, 9:38am

Question Selling your work

When did you start selling your beads? I think I'm getting a bit discouraged I keep seeing everyone with all their beautiful beads and mine are no where near as nice. So I'm afraid to ever start selling them. Did you wait months, a year or more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-30, 9:50am

I started selling about....mmmm.....maybe 6 months after starting. I started on Justbeads. I would post only my best beads. Beads I thought I would buy if I saw them. They would sell, and I would just keep posting. After about three years, I went over to "the other side"...Ebay. It takes time. You can't compare yourself to artists that have been doing this for a long time. You will drive yourself crazy. Just do what you like to do and try selling your art. Everyone wanted sets when I started, and focals were just not selling that well but I hated and hate making sets so I just stuck to my guns and made what pleased me and eventually, my work found it's way in.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-30, 9:55am
Dichro Addict

I started selling after a few months. The beads were very simple in design, but they were well made. I didn't put anything up for sale that I wouldn't buy myself. Don't be afraid to sell something that is simple in design. If the bead is well made and annealed, it doesn't have to be super complex to sell!

Last edited by lenora; 2008-01-30 at 10:01am.
Old 2008-01-30, 9:56am

Thanks glass what is justbeads?

# M 114
Old 2008-01-30, 9:58am
Dichro Addict

Here's a picture of the first beads I ever sold. My pictures have improved since then.

Old 2008-01-30, 10:00am

wow those are beautiful!

# M 114
Old 2008-01-30, 2:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleacim View Post
When did you start selling your beads? I think I'm getting a bit discouraged I keep seeing everyone with all their beautiful beads and mine are no where near as nice. So I'm afraid to ever start selling them. Did you wait months, a year or more?
I feel the same. I see such beautiful beads here and mine never quite turn out the way I want. I have another problem though too. I don't have a kiln. I haven't had any bead break - even after dropping etc. - but of course I don't feel I want to sell them when they are "inferior" like that. On the other hand I just can't stomach spending $600+ on a kiln just on the off chance some of my beads might sell. Are there cheaper annealing kilns out there? I've looked at the speed cone and the beehive but they don't really seem to have a realiable pyrometer. Sorry - I hope I'm not hijacking the thread.
Old 2008-01-30, 3:02pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_an_honey View Post
I feel the same. I see such beautiful beads here and mine never quite turn out the way I want. I have another problem though too. I don't have a kiln. I haven't had any bead break - even after dropping etc. - but of course I don't feel I want to sell them when they are "inferior" like that. On the other hand I just can't stomach spending $600+ on a kiln just on the off chance some of my beads might sell. Are there cheaper annealing kilns out there? I've looked at the speed cone and the beehive but they don't really seem to have a realiable pyrometer. Sorry - I hope I'm not hijacking the thread.
You get a basic annealing kiln with pyrometer for $300. As you can justify it, a digital controller can be added later.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/...ln%20FLBK.html

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-01-30, 6:36pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I started selling about 3 months after I started lampworking seriously.. Looking back, I cringe at the first sets I sold but their new owners loved them, so I am good. I think most artists are harder judges on their own work and we only see the flaws and others just see the beauty..

I think as long as your beads are annealed properly and you don't have sharp holes, you are good to go..
Old 2008-01-30, 7:00pm

I started selling after I got my kiln, about a year I think. The beads weren't very nice in my opinion (color, shape) but they were annealed and as Megan said, the new owners loved them, so I am good.
I found once I got the kiln the learning curve went way down. That and upgrading to a minor. Before I had problems with anything but a little bead breaking. A kiln really helps with pressed, long, or intricate beads. One of these days I'll get up the nerve to post some on here and update my much neglected website!
-C
Old 2008-01-30, 7:58pm
I practice alchemy!

I have my beads at my coffee shop. I make jewelry with them and people buy them!! I was making myself a necklace with some of my very first beads. I sold it before I even had it finished. And today one of my regular coffee customers was looking at my beads and bought two of them. And I didn't think they were very great beads.Oh, I've only been making beads since the end of August.

Celeste
Old 2008-01-30, 8:05pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Gosh, I practiced for a whole YEAR before I started selling my beads!! I was SUPER insecure about it!

My husband would say "Hey, those are great! Put them on Ebay!!" and would just say "no way...not yet". Finally, when I started getting the "look" I wanted, then I dared to enter the ebay world....and, fortunately, I've been successful every since! Now I'm getting on Etsy and my buyers are heading over that way, too! I'm glad I wanted until I truly felt READY and not by what others told me, that way, I sold with confidence in my work!

Good luck and sell when you really feel ready!!!
~Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2008-02-01, 9:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork View Post
Gosh, I practiced for a whole YEAR before I started selling my beads!! I was SUPER insecure about it!

My husband would say "Hey, those are great! Put them on Ebay!!" and would just say "no way...not yet". Finally, when I started getting the "look" I wanted, then I dared to enter the ebay world....and, fortunately, I've been successful every since! Now I'm getting on Etsy and my buyers are heading over that way, too! I'm glad I wanted until I truly felt READY and not by what others told me, that way, I sold with confidence in my work!

Good luck and sell when you really feel ready!!!
~Lynn

Same here Lynn!! my husband is my biggest cheer leader!! i always said and do say "no, when i sell them they will be something i would buy, first impressions last a lifetime!!

steph
Old 2008-02-02, 4:16am
as in the state

I sold my first little strand of beads after a few months. I was still just doing "sputnik" sort of beads...the little spacers with white raised dots around. There were a few of those, and 2 encased yellow squares/rectangles.. I had only taken my initial class (a 3 hour intro, on a hot head...). The person who bought them wanted blue and yellow for a watch band, and had seen the ones I had done and liked them. They were annealed (I went gung ho and bought all the tools, plus kiln and mini cc with an oxycon nearly immediately...) and though I thought they were still practice beads, she really really liked them.

I sold about 10 of them for $20. My stipulation was that I had to have quarters so I could do laundry.

I was happy for the laundry money, she was happy with the beads.

That was about 2 1/2 years ago and I still haven't ventured to sell anything on ebay or anything, but I'm getting close. I hope to start doing that (and etsy) this year.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-02, 7:33am

I started selling about 10 months after I started. I sell simple round beads both solid colors and frit covered. That is all I feel I've perfected so far. I was very scared to start. I started on etsy and sold my first set within 24 hours of listing. What a thrill! It's true that you probably judge yourself harder than others do. If your shaping is good and your holes are smooth and puckered you should be good to go.
Annealing is very important, nobody will purchase an un annealed bead. I'm happy to batch anneal some for you if you'd like to give selling a try(you too milk an honey). You'll probably be able to justify a kiln purchase in no time.

One thing that helped me to get over my fears is to post pictures here, the people on this forum are awesome! Very supportive and helpful. Why don't you show us some pictures? No need to be afraid.

Good Luck!
)

Old 2008-02-04, 8:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
You get a basic annealing kiln with pyrometer for $300. As you can justify it, a digital controller can be added later.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/...ln%20FLBK.html
Thank you for the link - and they're even Canadian!!
Old 2008-02-04, 9:17pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_an_honey View Post
Thank you for the link - and they're even Canadian!!
AIM kilns are manufactured in Corvallis Oregon. Victorian Art Glass distributes them across Canada and has shipped AIM kilns to a dozen different countries. For Canadian customers, we know what a problem and expense Canada Customs is, so we make a point of importing them on behalf of our customers and shipping them from Victoria BC.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-02-04, 9:23pm
Life is change. Love it

I made my beads into jewelry and sold them that way for a long time before I started selling loose beads on ebay. I started on ebay about 3 years ago when the competition was less and managed to get and keep some faithful customers. I think it is much harder these days for someone to start selling beads, there is a lot more excellent competition, and unless you have some unique style, or you are an amazing technician, it is hard to stand out from the crowd.

Having said that, if you feel your beads are worth selling, go for it!

Old 2008-02-05, 10:22am
one day at a time

I started lampworking in July of 2003, and after my first 4 months, I started selling my sets on ebay. Been doing it steadily ever since. I don't think I ever really took a break! Maybe a week, at the most?? LOL
Old 2008-02-05, 10:30am
da General

After lampworking for six months, we put some of our beads in our jewelry show with a cord/chain. We felt that the customers could see what they were buying in person so we were comfortable with selling them that way.

We started on eBay at the eighth month, but only the beads that are well shaped with puckered ends. All our round beads were scrutinized to make sure that they are round and the hole centered.

Frankly I am amazed at how many beads there are on eBay and Etsy that have sharp ends!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-05, 1:18pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
We started on eBay at the eighth month, but only the beads that are well shaped with puckered ends. All our round beads were scrutinized to make sure that they are round and the hole centered.

Frankly I am amazed at how many beads there are on eBay and Etsy that have sharp ends!
Pretty much that's it. If your beads are properly annealed, have dimpled ends and are evenly rounded (hole centered), you are ready to sell them. Don't worry about whether your designs are "fabulous" enough to make money. I still make simple beads, and rarely ever make fancy dancy stuff and my stuff moves quick. Somebody out there is going to love your style.
Old 2008-02-10, 11:32am
Redbearmountain

Hello, Everyone here had good advice! It just takes lots of practice. The first week I made beads I made over 300 in practice. I was very addicated the more I made the more addicated I became. I made beads 2 months and put them on ebay as I had an ebay store already for my jewelry. My beads just sold like crazy couldn't make enough to keep up! So as a beginner that was thrilling! I remember getting up one Sunday morning and having 110 bids on my auctions that was so exciting and every bead I had on auction sold. My beads were not fancy just nice simple beads done in southwest colors. My jewelry is very native american influenced so is what I design my beads around. I sell my work at alot of Pow-Wows and my beads and jewelry really sell. One thing to keep in mind that I fight all the time. Creator gave us all a talent and a gift to be able to make these beads. I was always admiring other peoples work and wanted to make beads like theirs. I would try and try but couldn't make beads like theirs. Well I learned that was not supposed to be able to make their beads. Creator gave me a gift and my own style and to happy with that style. Don't be shy to sell your beads on ebay! I started out with .99 auctions and got a following then just went from there.But I am shy to put pics up of my beads on this site with all the talent here! Good luck! Happy Beading!
Old 2008-02-10, 2:24pm

Time at the torch isn't everything, but practice certainly helps. It's good beads, design, presentation, photos (which can be deceptive - I've purchased from "known" beadmakers and been disappointed; sometimes photos show the best side...), and sometimes it's just capturing someone's attention.
Old 2008-02-12, 9:27am

I started selling after a few weeks on the torch. I always make sure I'm wearing something I've made. When people notice it and compliment me on it, I let them know it's something I've made and I have others like it for sale. Sometimes I even sell what I'm wearing, although I'd rather not!
Old 2008-02-12, 9:49am
Sparkle Strumpet

Well, I have beads out there that I'd love to have back......so starting to sell too soon frustrates me now.

But, if you are happy with them, try it.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-02-12, 9:51am
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvon View Post
Time at the torch isn't everything, but practice certainly helps. It's good beads, design, presentation, photos (which can be deceptive - I've purchased from "known" beadmakers and been disappointed; sometimes photos show the best side...), and sometimes it's just capturing someone's attention.

This is a fact....shoot, I had a friend in my first ever class who made saleable beads the second day. .....Time really isn't a gauge of quality....

Old 2008-02-12, 9:55am
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
After lampworking for six months, we put some of our beads in our jewelry show with a cord/chain. We felt that the customers could see what they were buying in person so we were comfortable with selling them that way.

Oh this is a pet peeve of mine. I panic every time I see beads with nasty ends sell on eBay. I'm always concerned that these beads turn the buyer off of lampwork forever.

Sharp, crunchy ends and deep dips in pressed beads are very difficult to use well in jewelry. Appearance can be deceiving when comes to quality.

Quality trumps time at the torch every time!

Old 2008-02-12, 1:54pm
Born on date: 11/3/09!

I'm SOOOO jealous of you! You own a coffee shop and you sell your beads there? My biggest hugest dream ever is to own a cafe/book/bead (jewelry) store. I even have a name- "The Three Bees" -Books Beads and Beans (as in coffee.) I can see the sign with these cute little bees and everything.

Now- to answer the poster. I sold mine also about 6 months after I started, and I was batch annealing at the glass store I frequent. My first set was encased raku on black pressed with my little smashers. The customer really liked them. Needless to say I also cringe when I look back! I sold more then on Ebay than I have two years later!

Talking about selling. I'm a wonderful bead maker. I love what I make. I'm an artist (and wow doesn't that sound cool!) BUT when it comes to selling I suck. I suddenly shrink down to this tiny little girl who never feels good enough. I hate it. My goal for the new year is to actually SELL my work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
I have my beads at my coffee shop. I make jewelry with them and people buy them!! I was making myself a necklace with some of my very first beads. I sold it before I even had it finished. And today one of my regular coffee customers was looking at my beads and bought two of them. And I didn't think they were very great beads.Oh, I've only been making beads since the end of August.

Celeste

The little love of my life...

Last edited by NorLigh; 2008-02-12 at 1:58pm.