Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

View Poll Results: Which Torch would you buy?
Phantom 19 54.29%
Mirage 15 42.86%
other 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-05-03, 10:32am

Default phantom or mirage?

I currently own a Lynx. My first impression of it was mixed. However I have come to love it. My only complaint would be the size of the flame. There are times that I would like a larger flame.
What would you suggest for another torch. I do like GTT torches. I am thinking a phantom or mirage. Which one would you choose and why?
Old 2008-05-04, 12:39pm

I have a Phantom and love it. But I'd love to have a Mirage too.
Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2009-01-11 at 2:54am.
Old 2008-05-04, 1:07pm

I would go with a Mirage just because I already have a CC and I think it and the Phantom would be too much of an overlap. I do prefer the GTT style though.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-05-05, 6:28pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Stacy
Old 2008-05-05, 6:47pm
Smooches!

Why isn't a GTT cheetah in the running? That's why I voted "other". I think anything GTT is an awesome torch. I upgraded from a lynx to a Cheetah, and I just LOVE it! I loved my lynx too, but decided I needed more heat - so I upgraded.

I'm running the cheetah on my Regalia concentrator too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-05-05, 6:48pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

If those are the only 2 you are looking at and you can afford the mirage I would go for that one as you prob won't out grow it. both are great torches.
chrisann

Old 2008-05-06, 11:00am

I've got a 4-stud Phantom and a foot pedal that I really like. I don't use the outer fire all that often, but it's great when you need it. I don't work big enough to need a Mirage, not yet anyway.

Robert
Old 2008-05-06, 10:32pm

this is a wish list of a question. is bigger better? where are you going in glass? Personally I'd love to melt the paint off the neighbors house but don't think my phantom is up for the task. If I had the bench space and the oxygen needs I would no doubt and have no second thoughts of owning a mirage or Delta Elite. All have the Lynx center fire correct? oh ya, I love my Phantom; it meets all my present needs.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-05-06 at 10:36pm.
Old 2008-05-07, 4:39am

Something else to consider is your onxygen set up. I know a mirage is capable of running thru a K tank in a day (8-10 hours) and I dont know of a concentrator that can power the outer mirage ring. If your looking into a mirage and you torch full time.. maybe liquid is in order?

I currently run a tanked phantom right now and wouldnt trade it for anything.. except a mirage a few years down the road. What are you looking at working with? Marbes? Pipes? Beads? Sculpture?

Burning a tanked Phantom

Last edited by Shadymilkman23; 2008-05-07 at 4:42am.
Old 2008-05-07, 5:12am

I love making really big beads. Also love making ribbon canes etc. I find that when I am working with large gathers of glass/beads I could use a larger flame.
I use to be full time, however I have had to get a full time position which cuts into to torch time. sigh.... I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.
I have a OG20 that I would like to run the center fire on, get a tank for when I need the outer ring.
After reading what everyone has to say I am leaning on a phantom. Money is always an issue, so saving $500 would go a long way in filling up the car with gas. (okay maybe not a long way).
Thanks for all of the input.
Old 2008-05-07, 5:46am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I really love my Mirage but Ben is right, it runs through a K tank in one good session. I can't have liquid where I am so it's a pain to have to keep getting tanks filled. I got the Mirage so I'd never need another torch, and it is really awesome. But unless you are going really large, I'd get a Phantom.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2008-05-07, 11:31am
PyronamixK

It sounds to me like a Phantom would be a good choice for your needs. You can always get one and if you outgrow it later, sell it and get a Mirage.
Old 2008-05-07, 5:25pm

Sounds like it is going to be a Phantom. Now that I have that figured that out, does anyone know if my OG20 will run the center fire?
Old 2008-05-07, 5:55pm

The OG20 will run your center fire the same way it runs the lynx ( some were around 75% ). Buy a 4 stud Phantom so you can run the outer fire off a tank, and the inter fire from the OG. And add a foot peddal as soon as you can.

And don't be like me when you first get your new torch. I went through a M sized tank within 24 hours just googling how big of flame I could get.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-05-07, 6:45pm

Im actually in the market for a strong OG or OC that will power my inner lynx to near capacity. Any suggestions?

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-05-07, 7:32pm
PyronamixK

Check out the Regalia.
Old 2008-05-07, 8:44pm
Temptress

I'm running a phantom with an OG20 on the center fire and tanked on the outer. Works fabulous for me, but if you don't already have a generator the OG20 is a little loud. I'm looking at getting a Regalia to keep the quiet.
Old 2008-05-12, 5:17pm

Thanks for the input, I've had many others suggest the Regalia as well.

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-05-15, 10:07pm

I run a Delta, because I feel it is best to buy what you will grow into rather than investing in several torches as my work grows.

So I would suggest the Mirage. However you need to consider gas consumption. If you are only going to work small pieces then the Phantom will save you money in gas consumption.

"Sometimes you see the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" Robert Hunter

Old 2008-05-19, 2:18pm

I've had a phantom for the last couple of years and love, love, love it. My hubby just replaced his Baracuda with a Mirage ~ waves at Kimberly and Willy ~ ........ Now I have flame envy....

Old 2008-05-19, 4:01pm
Bead Obsessed

I went with the 4 stud phantom with the intention of running the inner (lynx) with concentrators and using tanks for the outer. I had used a minor for 5 years and was very attached to it. My son, baggedchevys, had to convince me to go bigger as it was taking FOREVER to melt enough glass for my bigger pieces. It took a little getting used to a different torch, finding that sweet spot to do stringer work. But I really love it now.

Old 2008-05-19, 4:04pm
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
I'm running a phantom with an OG20 on the center fire and tanked on the outer. Works fabulous for me, but if you don't already have a generator the OG20 is a little loud. I'm looking at getting a Regalia to keep the quiet.
I'm in the market to replace my two ancient concentrators. I'm also concerned with the noise level. Where would I get info on the Regalia? How does it compare to the M-15 Brent sells?

Old 2008-05-25, 9:01pm

get both they are excellent I like the blast shield on the mirage for heat blocking it will spit a nice size flame. When I work small pendants the phantom is a very nice torch work behind and it will hold its own. I would say work your way up. you will love both
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-09, 1:08pm
yukue fumei

Go with the Mirage!
I have one and love it! The power of the outerfire is amazing--you can do so much!

nagi

Old 2008-06-09, 6:47pm

how big have you gone with your mirage? at what size would you say you have outgrown it?
Old 2008-06-11, 5:38pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebean View Post
how big have you gone with your mirage? at what size would you say you have outgrown it?
are you asking me?
if you are, then I have made 2.5 inch marbles and a couple of sculptures that were around 6-7 inches long. I know from reading other posts that you can go even larger--it does take more time. If I could afford the O2 of a Python or Cobra, I would totally get one! The larger the flame the better!
I don't think I could say at the moment that I have outgrown the Mirage--I like to do small beads and the inner fire is perfect for the tiniest detail. And the large outerfire is great for solid rods (the largest I have at the moment is 28mm? and it takes a short while but is fine).
When I grow up I want to do big glass sculptures and maybe then I would "need" a bigger torch...for now it is just a fantasy and the reality is that the Mirage fills the bill perfectly.
and if you weren't talking to me, please disregard this !

nagi

Old 2008-06-11, 8:20pm

I was talking to you Sorry I should have done the quote thing. I am deciding between a mirage or delta elite. I want to get a torch I can grow into, without wasting $$ on extra Oxy or gas from using a torch beyond my ability. I am leaning toward the Delta Elite I think. Today at least Thanks for the input!
Old 2008-06-11, 9:54pm
yukue fumei

ok- whew! thanks!
I didn't want to inadvertently butt in on anyone
The Delta would be amazing. I think E. Mort has one...you might want to ask him how he likes his.
The Delta would definitely speed things up. Oh, I just remembered to mention--Dunno if you work large boro things already, but the larger you go, the more radiant heat gets kicked out. I went to one workshop where the artist next to me used his Delta and every time he opened it up, I could feel that heat on my arm and it got really hot. Even with my Mirage after a while, everything on the bench gets really hot. I have sensitive skin and get radiant heat burns when i work large stuff. I am also prone to get sunburns on my face so I wear a face shield.
Just some things to consider when going big

nagi

Old 2008-06-11, 10:15pm

kind of hard to say what wasting $$$ on oxygen equates too. if the work merits the full torch then its worth every penny as long as the return is there. I think for the bang on your buck as whats do able and concerning consumption of O2 I place my money down on the phantom.

for me art/ craft is about going beyond my ability and expectations, with that there is the need to own tools that may be presently beyond my ability, and possibility beyond reasonable cost. with that being said it doest mean that i haven't taken the plunge. I take pride in the ownership and with time will possible match the level of my ambition making sense of it all.

the other side of the coin is. there are many people with a lot less creating works of art that I could only dream of.

the Delta Elite is a wickedly nice torch, I dont have the bench(shop space) to run one. My mirage made me add another two feet to the bench just for safety and sanity. its outer fire is considerably larger than the phantom as is it's consumption of both fuel and O2

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-06-12, 4:26am

Just to be the devil here...... Glasscraft has them in stock right now!