TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-10-01, 6:21am
Formerly FishBulb

Fantastic Mary! Clear and concise just like all of your tutorials. Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-01, 8:20am
Formerly Kellyhorton

question, where do they sell moretti dichroic that you can cut into pieces, I have only ever seen rods..I thought the only dichroic like that is coe 90/96?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Posted this cauldron bead in the gallery and was asked how I made it. Been a while since anybody asked me that and it tickled me. Time is of the essence if you want to make these beads for this season I couldn't take weeks formulating a fancy shmancy tutorial with real pictures so I sketched this out in about 10 minutes. Hope you like it. More detailed text is after the images.

First I made a fat barrel of ink blue.

Then I snipped 3/4" pieces of flashy dichro, prewarmed them then applied them to the barrel. I heated them in smooth, then twisted them in several places to break up the straight edges.

Mashed into a thick tab.

I put 3 dots of red opaque spaced kinda far apart horizontally across the lower third of the bead front. Melt smooth.

I layered a dot of opaque orange on top of each red dot. Melt smooth.

Layered a dot of opaque yellow on top of each orange dot. Melt smooth.

Used an ink blue stringer to rake the stacks of dots upward and outward. Used the same ink blue stringer to twist areas just to the sides of each raked dot to make them swirl out to look like flames. I twisted each raked stack of fire dots one or two times.

Melted it all smooth.

Then I added one big fat blob of dark silver plum where I wanted the cauldron belly to be. Melted this in just enough to make the edges flush with the surface. The rounded belly of the pot is still dimensional. Added a swipe of dark silver plum across the top of the cauldron for the rim and fine tuned it with my razor blade to make is straight and even.

I repeated the flame treatment (layered dots, raked, twisted) several times to the side and front of the cauldron to look like flames licking up the sides of the pot.

You know how if you put clear encasement too hot over black it makes that foggy crap we all despise? I thought I'd use that for 'steam'. I laid down three wiggly stripes of black stringer coming up out of the cauldron top. Melted them in almost completely smooth then let them cool a bit.

Superheated some clear and quickly layered it over the black stringer to cause the fog. Truth be told, if I were trying to NOT have fog I probably would have gotten more 'steam'. I didn't get nearly as much as I wanted. It was a good thing I had the dichro behind it added what was lacking.

By now, the cauldron was really nice and shiny from reduction, but if yours isn't, go ahead and reduce the bead to bring up the metal.

That's it!

~~Mary

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-10-01, 10:34am
Mary Lockwood

I've never seen dichroic 104 coe in rod form. Everywhere I've ever bought it has been in preslumped strips. My favorite supplier is Ron Bearer (you know- Rocio studios that sells all kinds of good stuff), but I've gotten them from Frantz, Bill, Jodel back in the day, and I was going to say Arrow Springs but come to think of it I've never bought dichro there so I don't know if they have it or not.

I'll be right back with a link to what I buy.

~~Mary

Old 2010-10-01, 10:37am
Mary Lockwood

OK, scroll all the way to the bottom of this page. That's what I get. (Get the crinkle if you've never tried this---it ROCKS out loud!)
http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/glass.html

I'm gonna add more suppliers below in case someone is going to order from them and can just add it on and I don't want to leave any suppliers out if I can help it. If I do- I apologize!

If you prefer to shop at Frantz:
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....th=102_110_116

Or maybe Arrow Springs:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/dic...fetre_104.html

I've heard lots of good things about this but never ordered from here myself:
http://www.dichroicinc.com/proddetai...04morettiscrap

Flame Kissed has it:
http://www.lampworksupplies.com/inde...571al7tab20di1

Howaco has stuff I've never even seen before. LOL
http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/dichro_104.html

Moretti and More...some is strip some is stringer watch it.
http://www.morettiandmore.com/index....ath=156_157_90

Mountain Glass Arts has it, and they even let you request how wide you want the strips cut, but I don't think they are preslumped.
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...tegory.3064/.f

Basically what I did was go down through the LE vendor list and if I thought the seller might carry this, I clicked and found the page. If any vendors reading this carry the strip dichro in 104 coe, but I missed ya---I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.
~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2010-10-01 at 11:01am.
Old 2010-10-01, 1:30pm

Wow Mary your Rock and Rolling! Thanks a whole bunch these links are awesome.
Old 2010-10-01, 7:26pm

OMG!! That is one awesome bead!! Thank you so much for sharing how you created it!

Old 2010-10-03, 9:04pm

Wow...thank you so much....
Old 2010-10-04, 4:59am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thanks for the RAOGK, Mary. You rock my world! *HUGS* Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2010-10-04, 7:09am

Mary

Thanks for sharing this awesome tut with us!!!
Old 2010-10-04, 10:54am
Bonkers about glass.....

Wow Mary, that's a cool technique. Thanks for sharing, and for all the extra info too.
Old 2010-10-05, 5:23am

Mary can we start a thread in the Gallery showing the results to this tutorial? I don't want to step on anybody's toes. But this is an awesome tutorial and I'm sure by the comments above I'm not the only one playing with it.
Old 2010-10-05, 4:36pm
Mary Lockwood

I think that would be awesome, Donna...or even just start posting them right here!

~~Mary

Old 2010-10-05, 4:45pm

Thanks Mary
Here is my first try, I pulled out my dichro just for this (I havn't played with it enough and I always seem to burn it) but this time I was holding my mouth right the planet, moon and stars were aligned just right.
Old 2010-10-05, 8:51pm
Mary Lockwood

Well Hey Hey, Donna! You gotta be happy with that. Your dichro is still sparkly and you got good reduction on the cauldron. Your flames are dancin' all around! Good for you and thanks for posting the picture!! I'm so glad you gave it a try and shared your results.

~~Mary

Old 2010-10-06, 5:21am

Way cool, Mary. You are such a sweetie to share. Thank you!

Old 2010-10-06, 2:14pm
Wendy

Mary, I haven't done the whole bead yet but I did manage to do the flames using Jim's method. Now that I've got that done, next up is the cauldron!

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-10-06, 4:03pm

Thanks Mary I do have to say I had fun with this and i'm going to keep playing with it, I'm sure they will never be as good as yours (yours rock). Wendy your flames are dancing all over good job.
Old 2010-10-06, 4:12pm
Wendy

Donna, I love your cauldron bead! I missed it when I posted earlier. I'm definitely going to give the rest of the instructions a try next time I'm at the torch.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-10-06, 8:45pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Can't wait to try this. Thank you, Mary! A very generous woman!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-10-08, 8:53am

Thanks SO much for this!! Can't wait to try!!!
Old 2011-08-15, 7:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Wendy! Somehow I managed to miss your post last year (what??) but I was searching for something else and this came up. Great job on the flames. Did you ever do any cauldrons?

~~Mary

Old 2011-08-15, 9:10pm

Default C

The "C" in Mary C Lockwood must stand for Cute, Clever, or Cool--all of which describe both you and this tutorial

Thank you for sharing! K
Old 2011-08-15, 10:07pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Default Mary. Just. Rocks.

I was just thinking of Halloween beads today and lo and behold I came across this tut--very cute!! Thanks again for all you give away Mz Mary!

Old 2011-08-21, 6:32pm
color bomb

This is awesome! I *must* try it!
Old 2011-08-26, 6:12pm

Thanks Mary - another unique and very clever Mary bead & tut!
Old 2014-09-10, 5:06pm
It's all about the color.

It's that time of year again.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-09-10, 6:39pm

I love the flames. It reminds me of hotrods
Old 2014-11-16, 8:36am
Mary Lockwood

Old 2014-11-16, 2:40pm

Great tutorial Mary! Thank you for sharing!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2014-11-29, 11:48am

Wow, I just discovered this great bead tutorial. I love LE and I especially love you, Generous Mary Lockwood!!

Helene