Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-02-06, 4:16pm
Master Procrastinator

Default Thinking of getting a Nikon

I stopped into Circuit City today cause they're having their "going out of business" sale. I've been wanting to get a new camera cause I just feel like my photos could be so much better. Couldn't be operator error, right?

They had the D40, D60 & D80. Of course I didn't think to make note of what lens they come with, but am assuming that it's a standard lens. After searching this thread I'm leaning towards either the D60 or D80 cause of the possibility to use more lenses on these 2. Am I right about that?

The D60 was going for $420 & the D80 is $630. I've done some searches & I don't think that $630 is such a great price, but it looks, to me anyway, that $420 IS a good price for the D60. Any thoughts? I also asked & they did not have any macros left. I thought I read about some filters that can be used instead. Anyone have any more info on that? I can't seem to find the specifics. All those lens #'s give me a headache. I just want a camera that's going to take good pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-06, 4:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

does that include any lenses?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-06, 4:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

on Amazon,

Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens - Nikon
Condition: New
In Stock
is $499.99

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-06, 4:32pm
Master Procrastinator

See, that's the thing. I forgot to ask, but the displays all had lenses on them. I'm so ignorant when it comes to cameras.

Old 2009-02-06, 4:33pm
Master Procrastinator

Is that the standard lens that it should come with? Assuming it has that lens, then $420 is a good deal.

Old 2009-02-06, 4:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is the normal lens that comes with it, so if they not selling body only, it is a good deal.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-02-06, 4:36pm
Master Procrastinator

Pardon my stupidity, but what does body only mean? Don't all cameras come with lenses?

Also, I wouldn't be able to afford a macro lens too since they seem to be several hundred dollars. Do you think that I would need special filters or is the lens sufficient?

Old 2009-02-06, 4:46pm
Wahwahbabypants

No, at this level of DSLR often cameras are sold without lens...hence the term 'body only'. I bought the D60 just before christmas. I bought 2 lens...18-55mm and the 55-200mm. The 18-55 is a good all purpose lens. the 55*200 is a good telephoto. You can do macro to a degree with 18-55. You can also buy cheaper close up filters and stack them... but thats a lesson for another day.

I love the camera... I feel like annie-freakin-lebowitz!!!

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-02-06, 4:50pm
Master Procrastinator

Thanks Charlene. I'll go back tomorrow & make sure about the lens. What do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcb View Post
You can do macro to a degree with 18-55.

Old 2009-02-06, 4:58pm
Wahwahbabypants

I will recommend that you get "Nikon D60 Digital Field Guide" by J. Dennis Thomas. It is an excellent guide to the D60. It takes the manual and goes further in an easier to understand format. It tells you the how to's as well as the why's.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-02-06, 5:37pm
Master Procrastinator

I see that Amazon has it. Have it saved to my cart. I'll definitely buy it if I buy the camera. I can use all the help I can get.

Old 2009-02-07, 7:38am
Wait.....what?

Be careful buying from Circuit City now. Everything is in the hands of the liquidators and they jack the prices way up before they 'discount' them so you frequently don't get any kind of deal.
And check your purchase out very well because if there's something wrong you're out of luck. All sales are final.
I've come across a lot of horror stories lately about people buying from Circuit City and really getting no deal at all if not outright scr*wed.

Old 2009-02-07, 8:29am
Master Procrastinator

Thanks Katie. I wouldn't buy it unless it was brand new in box. That's why I also posted here to make sure the price was good. I'm tempted to wait another week cause with liquidation, they increase the discount as time goes on, but then it may be sold out too. What to do, what to do.

Old 2009-02-07, 10:22am
ManBearPig

I'm a Canon guy myself, but you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Any of the D series will do all you need it to do and then some. For those prices, if you can afford it, I'd jump on it.

Old 2009-02-07, 10:37am
Master Procrastinator

Well, I can't REALLY afford it, but that's what credit cards are for, right?

Old 2009-02-07, 11:21am

I know that you are trying to save money, but it might be a better idea to go to a real camera store with people who know how to use the equipment and can help you. You might even be a able to get used equipment in perfect condition. Professional camera stores take in trades at the higher levels.
Old 2009-02-07, 1:43pm
Master Procrastinator

Well, I went back to the store & it was with the lens, but they're sold out of the D60 except for the floor model, which I WILL NOT buy.

I understand what you're saying Kew, but I checked some of the sites online & the cost for a used one wasn't that much cheaper, if at all, so would have preferred a new one, where at least I know what I'm getting, not someone else's problem possibly.

I'll probably try one of their other stores next week. If they have it great. And if not, then it just wasn't meant to be.

Chad, which Canon do you use? I hadn't looked at those only cause I've heard such great things about the Nikon line. I do however have 2 Canons myself, but much more basic cameras. One is the G2, which I currently use for my bead photos & the other is the SD 800 IS, which I find very difficult to get good bead shots with.

Tags
d60, d80, filter, macro, nikon