LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-08, 12:53pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Bumping this thread. I heard through a supplier that Schott is no longer making the clear glass, is this nightmare true!???

And to update on my problem I was having. It is indeed a bad batch of Bullseye clear. I grabbed the wrong rod this morning and I ended up with the streaks again.

The schott works beautifully though.

So if schott clear is going to fall off the earth what other options do we have in 90? I have ordered another batch of bullseye clear though to see if maybe I bought utter crap last time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-08, 1:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have not heard that rumor, but would be devastated if it is true.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-08, 2:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

Omigosh. I had some of the bad BE and I was so shocked at the scorching, thought it was something I did.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-10, 6:39pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am devastated, seriously. I was speaking to Howaco and she told me the news. I got the last 3/4lb. Bought what I could at the local supplier yesterday. Cant afford anymore right now.

We really need to confirm this though. I finally found a clear for my bullseye work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I have not heard that rumor, but would be devastated if it is true.

Old 2010-01-10, 6:40pm
Jacqueline Parkes

It is a really really bad bad batch. I have grabbed it my mistake on my table and each bead had horrible brown streaks. I am throwing it in the dumpster tomorrow........

Or, wait........I guess you could use it for practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Omigosh. I had some of the bad BE and I was so shocked at the scorching, thought it was something I did.

Old 2010-01-10, 7:36pm
I like to melt things

I use my shite clear to core lentils and other shapes that will be opaque on the exterior. It's a good way to use it up, and I find my beads press nicer if there's a core of transparent in the middle to help them hold their shape.

-
-
Old 2010-01-10, 7:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ohhh awesome tip. I find when I work with 104 ivory I have a heck of a time working it gentle enough to press nicely.

thanks

Oh wait, my crap clear is 90 though. I will figure out a use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I use my shite clear to core lentils and other shapes that will be opaque on the exterior. It's a good way to use it up, and I find my beads press nicer if there's a core of transparent in the middle to help them hold their shape.

Old 2010-01-10, 7:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Something I have wondered about for awhile now. If we can return faulty merchandise to most retailers, why are we not returning faulty glass?

Is there some unwritten rule?

Old 2010-01-10, 8:49pm

Check with Wale on the Schott 90 clear. It's available by the caseload there. At least it was several months ago.
Old 2010-01-10, 8:56pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Wale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Check with Wale on the Schott 90 clear. It's available by the caseload there. At least it was several months ago.

Old 2010-01-10, 9:39pm
Life is change. Love it

Wale apparatus. Here http://www.waleapparatus.com/index.asp?category=19980

Old 2010-01-10, 9:43pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post

Old 2010-01-11, 1:06am
It's all about the color.

I have found that when I'm working Bullseye on a HotHead, you can get sooty colors if you're not REALLY careful. The HotHead flame is slightly reducing, it's the reduction causing the soot. You need to either work farther out in you're on a HotHead, or furn up the Oxygen on a dual gas torch. Here's a video I found that shows you this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DNFA...eature=related

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-01-11, 4:25am

I love using Schott glass with my bullseye - I hope it's not going to be discontinued!! Ekk!
Old 2010-01-14, 3:44pm

I've emailed Schott, and I'll post here with what I find out.
Old 2010-01-14, 6:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I just got a new order in of Bullseye clear and it has zero problems. It looks like I had a very bad batch before.

I threw it out yesterday as I kept picking it up by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
I have found that when I'm working Bullseye on a HotHead, you can get sooty colors if you're not REALLY careful. The HotHead flame is slightly reducing, it's the reduction causing the soot. You need to either work farther out in you're on a HotHead, or furn up the Oxygen on a dual gas torch. Here's a video I found that shows you this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DNFA...eature=related

Old 2010-01-14, 6:22pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you, please do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
I've emailed Schott, and I'll post here with what I find out.

Old 2010-01-15, 6:48pm

You can still order from Wale in pound or case quantities.
You can also order directly from Schott (american distributor) in all sorts of sizes rod and get this TUBING!!!!!!

I am so stoked. If anyone wants a copy of the pricing list that they sent me, pm me your email address and I'll email it to you. I'm not sure how to have an attachment like that here.

They even have 3 mm rod which would be GREAT for encasing, and it's $7 per pound! (but you have to get ~30 pounds of the 3mm - which is ~500 5 ft long pieces) It is a ton of glass, but OOOOOOHHH!
Old 2010-01-20, 4:49pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Sadly, I need to bump this thread again.

Today's bead day was an absolute disaster. Each and every floral ended up with brown steaks on the encasing.

I need to solve this mystery stat! So today I tried both my new batch of Bullseye clear and Schott. Both clears gave me the brown streaks. This tells me it was not the glass after all as my new batch of bullseye clear was working just fine two days ago and Schott has always worked for me.

Then it occurred to me maybe it is how I am cleaning the rods. I rub them with dishsoap and then rinse well and dry. So the next rod I just ran through hot water and then used some alcohol and then rinsed again.

Still had streaks.

Is my hothead again to be blamed? You people tell me to hang the hose upside down but nothing ever comes out of it.

And now I am bleeding my hoses after each session.

Sigh, I have bills to pay, help!

Old 2010-01-20, 8:16pm
I'm a lilac!

I would suspect a bad batch of propane. Some propane is just dirtier than other propane, and you mention having gotten a brand-new talk recently.

Bullseye has always been more than delightful about taking returns if you have a problem with their glass... definitely let them know!

Typically, they are insanely consistent... I've been using the 1101 clear for about 11 years, and it's always been the same. I use the 1401 occasionally, but for some reason I just prefer the 1101. It's soupy and hard to scorch.

Old 2010-01-20, 8:46pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thanks for posting but I realized later in the day I was torching too hot. I am sorry I ever blamed bullseye glass lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I would suspect a bad batch of propane. Some propane is just dirtier than other propane, and you mention having gotten a brand-new talk recently.

Bullseye has always been more than delightful about taking returns if you have a problem with their glass... definitely let them know!

Typically, they are insanely consistent... I've been using the 1101 clear for about 11 years, and it's always been the same. I use the 1401 occasionally, but for some reason I just prefer the 1101. It's soupy and hard to scorch.

Old 2010-01-20, 9:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh, I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem!

Old 2010-12-16, 4:54pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I hung my hose overnight last night. I was expecting all kinds of something (not really sure what I was expecting, really ), and was a bit surprised to see nothing appearing in the plastic bag I had the end dangling into. On closer inspection, however, I found a few drops of oil. Clear, sticky, light yellow oil, that stunk. The hose had done probably 40 hours of gas flow.

I searched about cleaning hotheads etc yesterday, because not only did my clear have streaks, it had actually turned a nasty brown. I was more mindful than usual about flame placement, yet the glass was disgusting, ruining any hope of nice beads completely.

However, I was also using my new glass, which I was rapt to see was melting very nicely, unlike my last order of it. I did notice it was a bit dirty when I got it, but just gave it a wipe as usual. Maybe this had something to do with it turning so yuk. So, today, I have a clean hose, clean glass (washed and rinsed and wiped down thoroughly), so we shall see.

I love this site with all the info. Maybe one day I'll be able to be as helpful as the rest of you

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2010-12-17, 3:05am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I also had another question. Why is it I always get a nice dimpled end on my left side of the bead and no dimple on the right? This has stumped me for years and I have tried so hard to ensure I am treating each side the same.

PLEASE HELP!
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! I always have a dimple on one side but not the other with my florals and have done for years!!!! I figure it has to do with the way I encase (I go left to right around the world) that I must get more clear on one end and not enough on the other?
Everything I ever encased on a hothead got yucky bits on it\that is why I got a dual fuel.
The only thing that does it on the dual fuel is getting the clear too hot.
Old 2010-12-17, 5:02am
Jacqueline Parkes

This is an old thread but I discovered the issue awhile ago. I did not realized that I was tipping the mandrel to the left slightly while working. I hope this helps.

Old 2010-12-17, 7:13am
Formerly FishBulb

That's the first thing I thought too, Jacqueline, that you must be tipping the mandrel.

Are you still on a HH?? I can't imagine that you make those huge honkin' focals on a HH.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-17, 8:18am
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh god no, I upgraded a year ago and never looked back. When I have more room in my studio I will setup the hothead again though. I need it for a few applications.

I still have a habit of tipping the mandrel. I catch myself all the time. It is hard to break old old habits. I tend to tip the left side downwards slightly while applying glass and techniques. I often have more glass on the left side as well . This occurs when I lay down my layers of glass. The first drop of glass is thicker..........

Old 2010-12-17, 11:49pm
Bead Obsessed

Funny...as I was reading this thread I kept thinking....you need a better torch! So glad to hear that you upgraded!