Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-12-25, 1:49pm
Molten Designs

Default Nike D80 or Canon Rebel ?

Which is better? Why?
Old 2008-12-25, 2:45pm
Fancy Mammal

Which is better PC or Mac? It's the same kind of question. They are tools, and they are both pretty good and very equivalent tools. I think you will be thrilled with either one.

If you already have lenses, I'd suggest going with the brand in which you had already invested.

Assuming that you don't... it depends a bit on what you want to do. If you were to say that you wanted to do alot of night photography, I'd say look longer at the Canon because it seems to have a slightly sharper pictures with long exposures. If you were looking into underwater photography, I'd say look more at Nikon because they are more the standard in that type of photography and less adapters might be necessary.

What do you want do with camera? I'm assuming pictures of beads. But do you also want take pictures of kids? Lots of indoors? Sports photography? That would change my suggestions.

I would also (if you're not too overwhelmed) think about lenses. I ended up never using my kit lenses. Lenses are like a clear glass that you use to encase every picture - and I've ended up with some slightly more expensive and less flexible lenses because they're more like Diamond clear than Effetre, if that makes sense

Last edited by parisgal; 2008-12-25 at 2:47pm.
Old 2008-12-26, 12:43am
FireSculptedCouture.com

I am a brand snob for all things Cannon. Even my lenses. Its just a preference but I do much prefer Cannon. JMO, I say do what works for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

site is not yet available

Old 2008-12-26, 3:52am
Entropy increasing....

Nikon. You can use Nikkor lenses from forever. That is the beauty of Nikon. And the lenses are the best.
Old 2008-12-26, 8:28am
Molten Designs

I want to take pics of my beads, outdoors, kids, nature, animals, you name it. I want the best camera for multiple uses and there is about a $400 difference in the two.
Old 2008-12-26, 8:41am

I recommend the Nikon D80 although I am looking with a bit of envy at the D90 now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-12-26, 9:04am
Wahwahbabypants

Well I just got the D60 and OMG!!! It is amazing. I've always been a Nikon girl but this is my first DSL and in one week I've taken 500 pictures...so much to learn. Easy to use and the computer software is idiotproof.
Old 2008-12-26, 10:23am

you'll never regret paying extra and getting the Nikon.

Old 2008-12-26, 10:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I got a D90 for xmas - I have an Nikon 8008 from days gone by and can now use those lenses with my D90. I am over the moon!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-27, 12:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I got a D90 for xmas - I have an Nikon 8008 from days gone by and can now use those lenses with my D90. I am over the moon!
Lucky you, I am drooling over the D90, but first I have to sell my D80 for a reasonable price.

|
Old 2008-12-27, 1:29am
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklend View Post
I want to take pics of my beads, outdoors, kids, nature, animals, you name it. I want the best camera for multiple uses and there is about a $400 difference in the two.
In that case, I'd take the cheaper They really are very similar animals. They will both be great all around cameras. The minor, CC and the lynx have *much* more variation in performance and style than Nikon / Canon differences.

The one other thing that I would do, if I were you, is go down the photo store (or Best Buy) and hold them both in my hands. Differences will be subtle, but one might fit your hands better than the other. Or the menu of one might be more intuitive. That's how I'd make my decision, because I believe that you'll be thrilled with either choice.

I have a Canon. I love it. I love the lenses I have for it. I do night photography, and the noise on long exposures was a key point for me. I've heard (but never tested myself) that lens for the Canon generally run 10% less than equivalent lenses for the Nikon. I encourage my friends to buy Canon so we can share lenses - not because either is better.
Old 2008-12-27, 1:58am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Squid, we got the same present for Christmas!

Did you try the movie thing? Oh my god. You can actually do special effects on the photos and corrections while they are still in the camera!

I think it will take some time to figure it out. 2 big manuals - one in Spanish. lol

We can compare notes.
Old 2008-12-27, 1:59am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
Lucky you, I am drooling over the D90, but first I have to sell my D80 for a reasonable price.
Do it! You could sell it in the garage sale or on Ebay.
Old 2008-12-27, 4:55am

I live in the Netherlands, so selling it here is a bit difficult I think. The camera and the instructions are in Dutch, so that would be a problem to.

My husband is a darling and I am getting a D90 today even if the D80 isn't sold.

|
Old 2008-12-28, 8:42pm
Mr. Cellophane

Ohh I just looked at a Nikon D80, but would really like the Nikon D40 yummy.

Libby

Old 2008-12-28, 8:48pm
In search of her path....

Hey folks I noticed today that best buy had some pretty darn good deals on the Nikon D60 with 1 lense I think it was $549 and with the 2nd telephoto lense i think $699 a great deal any way you look at it.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-28, 9:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Squid, we got the same present for Christmas!

Did you try the movie thing? Oh my god. You can actually do special effects on the photos and corrections while they are still in the camera!

I think it will take some time to figure it out. 2 big manuals - one in Spanish. lol

We can compare notes.
Yes, I did the movie thing! Isn't it cool!?!?! I LOVE this camera - and I have 3 lenses for it . I LOVE the black and white thing, but couldn't get the red eye to work on camera. It kept telling me it wasn't detecting. I am wondering if it is because dogs' eyes technically aren't red eye?

Would love to compare notes!

I am looking at getting a DVD on it to try and figure it out

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-28, 9:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The D60 and D80 both can be had for very good deals!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-12-30, 4:09am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

The best thing I ever did to my Nikon DSL was to "accidently get it wet on a river trip" I am a Canon lover from way back.
Katja
Old 2009-01-04, 6:59pm

Hello Kevan,
Which lense did you get with your Nikon D90? or which lense do you photograph your beads with using thd D90?
Gisele
Old 2009-01-07, 9:44pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I had Nikon before, but when it's time to go for a big girl camera, I fell in love with Canon, all my close friends who loves photography are Canon people, so.

I love Canon. Might never think of switching to Nikon cause I already bought several lenses.