Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-15, 5:37pm

Default Electric mandrel spinner WOW

I bought a petite mandrel spinner last week. it is the most amazing tool, WOW. I LOVE IT. Initially measuring my hand i should fit the petite. i likely could have gotten the regular size, but its working out fine.

I am not a bead person. generally my inspiration comes to me in sculpture. I've always had issues translating my ideas into beads. this is turning into a fun new adventure.

I recently had major cancer surgery (I'm good now, they got everything!!) I have limited use of my left shoulder, for now and partially possibly permanent, so my usual sculpture is going to have to wait a bit. I just started back on the torch last week and with the spinner i can rest my arm and actually make an even bead. I'm waiting on scotts articulated arm rests. i also love the rolling marver. its the coolest thing to move the glass back and forth on the mandrel. I will get the stainless sleeves for it. i keep making long thin beads, just because its so cool to watch the glass move across the mandrel. its like a mini lathe. ive always wanted to be a wood carver and work on a lathe, so this is close enough for now!

i also found that i can make smallish/spacer beads so quickly that i can get a pair on one mandrel fast enough to have no issues, ill be working on earrings now that its soooo much easier to make a sized even pair without having to peek in the kiln.

i have found that for using square type presses or sculptural beads i am preferring off hand. still playing with it though. the slower speed is better for these.

just thought id post if anyone's considering one, it really is great. i first saw it at agi a few years ago, but since i dont make beads much, couldnt see getting one. now im so glad it is available.

ro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-09-15, 7:54pm

Thanks Ro for the information. I have been looking at mine for a few years now and really should use it! Glad you are past the cancer surgery thing too. I just made 6 years myself. (Thoracic). Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-09-15, 10:28pm

Getting impatient for mine!

May I ask when you ordered it?

I have been waiting since June 27th ( scheduled wait on the website at the time was 6 - 8 weeks) and am beginning to lose patience - I've emailed twice (no answer) ... phoned once (email issues blah blah ... yes I have you down). That was back some time ago (at least a month) ... and now have been advised to be the squeaky wheel - aka pain in the ass!
Guess I need to call again!

Sorry to complain publically... just frustrated - will report glowing reveiws when it arrives and I'm happy as are you!

sadie

Will be calling on a weekly basis

Old 2009-09-16, 7:49am

I love mine too. It has help with stiff hands, I have. I ordered mine last yr. It took more than 8wks to get it. I contacted them several times.(Bearfoot Arts) And they finally answered. Was promise a "extra" something in my order since I had to wait so Long. Finally got the EMS but the "extra" that I was promised wasn't included. I'm a firm believer in Customer service.Which they are lacking. I probably won't order anything else from them. But I do love the EMS. Great product.

Last edited by Janetlee; 2009-09-17 at 12:09pm. Reason: more info.added
Old 2009-09-16, 11:36am

i got it used here on le, post up your looking for one, you never know or from a distributor abr imagry has regular and deluxe in stock, they dont carry the petite. i suspect they fill suppliers first? depending on where you live there were some others:
http://www.bearfootart.com/pages/ToolDistributors.php
sadie i suggest if abr has it cancel from scott and get one from abr rather than waiting maybe?
good luck
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.

Last edited by Ro; 2009-09-16 at 11:40am.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:24pm
Hummel factory reject

Ro, Wow! I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. Wishing you a
full recovery. Wonderful that you are back at the torch creating again.
Hugs, lori

Old 2009-09-16, 2:00pm
Semi Retired

Hi Ro, glad that the EMS is working out for you. Hope you make lots of beautiful beads.

Hi Sadie, I ordered EMS on 2/25/09 and it was shipped 5/6/09. I did communicate often with Monica via email (beads@bearfootart.com) toward the end. So hopefully your spinner will arrive soon.

Mary

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-09-17, 6:22pm

I have to say I get no response via email (so far) ... the only response I've had has been when I called and spoke with Scott. Very pleasant, but ... I want my EMS!

I'll look around for other stockists - thanks for the suggestion (and if bearfoot is reading this keep working on mine - lol)!

Old 2009-09-18, 2:16am

I have the petite and want the delux..I just haven't worked out which son to sell yet to finance it.....What do you think sells better? Brains or looks?
Old 2009-09-18, 3:51am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
I have the petite and want the delux..I just haven't worked out which son to sell yet to finance it.....What do you think sells better? Brains or looks?
i'm a butt fan - i'll take the one with the nice butt

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-09-18, 6:15am
Mary Lockwood

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for brains...I have my own. But pretty sells. LOL

Old 2009-10-21, 7:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
Getting impatient for mine!

May I ask when you ordered it?

I have been waiting since June 27th ( scheduled wait on the website at the time was 6 - 8 weeks) and am beginning to lose patience - I've emailed twice (no answer) ... phoned once (email issues blah blah ... yes I have you down). That was back some time ago (at least a month) ... and now have been advised to be the squeaky wheel - aka pain in the ass!
Guess I need to call again!

Sorry to complain publically... just frustrated - will report glowing reveiws when it arrives and I'm happy as are you!

sadie

Will be calling on a weekly basis
Sadie, have you received your spinner yet?

I know I'm late chiming in here, but I ordered a mandrel spinner June 18th and am still waiting. I've sent many emails, and only two have been answered, each saying that they will get back to me about a shipping time, and they never do. Phone calls have not been returned either.

I also hate to complain publicly, but it has been four months, and I am considering asking for my money back. I ordered the spinner because I developed tendonitis last May from making beads full time. I was hoping the machine could save my job- I am really disappointed with this company so far. I am sad to see that others are having similar problems.
Old 2009-10-21, 9:31am

No grrr! No spinner yet from Bearfoot, although I did get an email last week saying that I was getting closer and the box was on the table ready to go - waiting for the contents I suspect - it was the first email since I placed my order.

The fact that you've been waiting even longer doesn't fill me with hope that I'll get it any time soon. Unbelievable!

Old 2009-10-22, 8:40pm

They finally shipped it! Woo hoo! Hopefully yours will be sent in the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed!!
Old 2010-04-21, 3:49am

Hi..I checked out the spinner on Scott's site and saw there still is a waiting time of 6=8 weeks.I started googling it elsewhere and found one available at Cigna.I ordered it and it arrived within a week.Its the real thing..but I guess Scott supplies to distributors first.The mandrel roller was on backorder but thats ok.I am having trouble getting the mandrels I have to fit.They are loose and therefore don't spin on their own.I have read some of the suggestions and will try them..I sooo want this to work.I have severe RA and after the conventional method of making even the simplist beads ,I have to take a break after 3 or 4 beads and then get so depressed that i don't go back,make more and watch my kiln wasting money running with 3 or 4 beads in it.Its frustrating!
Any other suggestions on how to get that perfect fit into the mandrel holder will be most welcome
Thanks for any ideas,
Diana♥
"

Old 2010-04-21, 5:43am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Have you found that you had any problem with that little bit of wobble with the mandrels? I couldn't tell if it was me or the mandrel in the sleeves to correct my wee wobble. I bought the deluxe and its wide in the hand so makes it hard to stop and start. I kept getting hand cramps. Turned out, I never used it and sold it. I was thinking maybe to try out the skinny one but I'm not sure if its worth it.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-04-21, 6:00am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Hi..I checked out the spinner on Scott's site and saw there still is a waiting time of 6=8 weeks.I started googling it elsewhere and found one available at Cigna.I ordered it and it arrived within a week.Its the real thing..but I guess Scott supplies to distributors first.The mandrel roller was on backorder but thats ok.I am having trouble getting the mandrels I have to fit.They are loose and therefore don't spin on their own.I have read some of the suggestions and will try them..I sooo want this to work.I have severe RA and after the conventional method of making even the simplist beads ,I have to take a break after 3 or 4 beads and then get so depressed that i don't go back,make more and watch my kiln wasting money running with 3 or 4 beads in it.Its frustrating!
Any other suggestions on how to get that perfect fit into the mandrel holder will be most welcome
Thanks for any ideas,
Diana♥
Purchase "almost indestructible" mandrels at Aura ... they cost more but are sooo worth it! I use the 4-1/2" ones (Scott uses them in his video) and very seldom bend one. Here's the link: http://www.auralens.net They have a new website that doesn't work right now so you may want to call.
Old 2010-04-21, 8:51am

Thanks! I wrote Cigna for some weird reason..its Delphi and in stock.I have some brandy new 3/32 mandrels I am going to try today and will look into the site you gave,Angie..thanks bunches
Karen..I had the wobble on some older well used mandrels but going to toss the real bad ones and cut down(if I can) the best ones.Scott in his video,says he cuts his in half and so he uses short ones but its more cost effective to do that.I have small hands and RA in my working hand so I would not have been able to use the deluxe..glad I got the standard one.Will post how todays session goes when I can get around to getting started..all in all..I can see it will be a help as long as I practice enuf
Diana
"