Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-14, 8:27am

Default Consistent Bead Sizes

I'm frustrated because I can't make consistent bead sizes. I wasn't great at it in soft glass, but I REALLY suck at it in boro - even when I make 2 beads on one rod.

Any tips?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-14, 9:26am
Harold Williams Cooney

talking mandrel beads?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-10-14, 10:11am

Yes, on mandrels.

Old 2009-10-14, 2:25pm

I just try to make the same number and size of wraps... guess I'm not a big help

Old 2009-10-14, 2:29pm
Hummel factory reject

I usually make batches of the same type/recipe of bead and then match them up afterwards. Two per mandrel.

Old 2009-10-14, 2:32pm
ManBearPig

Practice.

Old 2009-10-14, 4:59pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yeah, practice. And, one thing that really helped me to get the beads uniformly thick, instead of having the top of the bead wider than the bottom, or vice-versa, is to use the L shaped marver on the top of my torch. If one part of the bead looks thicker than the other I lay my mandrel along the marver with the bead hanging over the edge and gently pull (or push) the wider side of the bead in so that the whole bead is uniformly thick. This is so simple, but it took me a year to think of it. Also, I never do more than one bead at a time on one mandrel, for 2 reasons - with a second bead on the mandrel it would get in the way of evening out the bead as described above, and with boro the first bead on the mandrel might cool and crack while I'm making the second bead.

Old 2009-10-14, 5:30pm
And silence is golden

I like the technique of precutting the rods in equal sized pieces and then applying them to the mandrel with tweezers.
Old 2009-10-14, 5:36pm
Tamara Knight

With Boro Mandrel beads it is more important to get the base wrap on the mandrel the same size to get the same size beads. - same width in the mandrel
Old 2009-10-14, 5:42pm
Ready to hit the road

I mark the rods, 3/4", 1", etc. with a sharpie on clear or light color glass, and on dark glass I take a small file and file a nick to make the marks. It still takes practice to get the right size, but with the same amount of glass each time, it's easier.

Old 2009-10-14, 6:26pm

Wow. These are some great suggestions. I'm very glad that I asked! Thank you all.