Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-02-10, 7:15pm
Pyromaniac

Default Poll to bring the Boro room out of the closet

Hi Boro friends,

I started a poll in the tips and techniques section to give the boro room a place of it's own out in the open. It's always bothered met that it is buried in the Tips and Techniques section. If you agree or not please vote in this poll:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153848

Thanks,

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-10, 9:33pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Thanks Lana! Boro peeps are peeple too! It was by shear stupid luck that I found the boro room when I first joined LE.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-02-10, 10:03pm

I was just wonder why boro is hiding in tips and tricks has some one been bad? When can we come out. We will be good now. Honest.
Old 2010-02-11, 12:23pm
The Venerable Bead

Just a little history on the boro room and it's origin if my memory serves correctly. we were lucky to get a place here in tips and techniques 4 plus years ago. the original argument was that if they gave the boro peeps their own section then all the different COES would want their own room and it would be too devisive to the forum at large. (not my argument but the reason we were told no) I'd love to be out in the open too but I don't mind that we are at least down in a dark alley. i am just grateful corri did give us our own pad. we were put in tips and techniques because boro does have it's own set of questions related to technique and that is how we made our argument. with that being said i will now go vote to have us come out of hiding.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-02-11, 7:35pm
Boro Brat

I would love to comment but I'm currently hiding under the desk...

Old 2010-02-11, 8:52pm
The Venerable Bead

it's funny how things have changed. when the boro room first opened we weren't allowed to have a gallery thread unless we also posted techniques, tips or questions. everytime someone would start a pure eye candy thread it would get moved to the main gallery LOL. after a while it was no use and the admins (and there were quite few at the time) finally gave up and let us mess up our room as we saw fit. I think mr. smiley had alot to do with that. let the kids play in here, it's safe and hidden what trouble can they possibly start hiding back here? lol .

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2010-02-12, 8:19am

Wow thanks for the history lesson and you can come out from under the desk now Pipyr.
Old 2010-02-14, 1:32pm
Hummel factory reject

Even if it's in the "Melting Pot" Boro should see the light of day.

Old 2010-02-15, 10:59am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
I would love to comment but I'm currently hiding under the desk...
Can't...stop...laughing...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-02-15, 7:02pm
Tamara Knight

I am not sure it matters where we are
Just that we are
Old 2010-02-15, 10:22pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venbead View Post
it's funny how things have changed. when the boro room first opened we weren't allowed to have a gallery thread unless we also posted techniques, tips or questions. everytime someone would start a pure eye candy thread it would get moved to the main gallery LOL. after a while it was no use and the admins (and there were quite few at the time) finally gave up and let us mess up our room as we saw fit. I think mr. smiley had alot to do with that. let the kids play in here, it's safe and hidden what trouble can they possibly start hiding back here? lol .
There have only ever been 2 admins on LE. Corri and Jason, before Corri alone owned LE. There were at one time up to 5 moderators, so that must be what you are thinking of. I don't think any moderator ever moved a gallery thread but I do remember the talk about it. I even posted in one of them as a moderator at the time.
As far as the "trouble" there was quite a few that liked to post in here cause it was hidden from the rest of the forum. Current boro peeps excluded from that statement, as those posters have moved on.

Old 2010-02-16, 7:40am

i like our little hidey hole.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-02-16, 12:31pm

i put in the vote if most want it moved it should be in home sweet home and still called boro room. if it stays here , fine with me too this is a very active soft glass forum and just a bit of boro, so not having it home page is ok if most want it to stay that way. either way is fine.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-02-16, 8:28pm
The Venerable Bead

yes i meant mods sorry. and yes gallery threads got moved constantly. smiley will remember

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2010-02-19, 3:50pm

What's wrong with having a forum for specific COEs? Sometimes that's appropriate. Makes me furious that Boro Room is so hidden. I dunno how new peeps find it, assuming they do.

Old 2010-02-20, 9:00am
Boro Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkLori View Post
What's wrong with having a forum for specific COEs? Sometimes that's appropriate. Makes me furious that Boro Room is so hidden. I dunno how new peeps find it, assuming they do.
I meet them at the door and walk them down the long, dark hallway, with lanterns and candy...

Old 2010-02-20, 9:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipyr View Post
I meet them at the door and walk them down the long, dark hallway, with lanterns and candy...
Now THAT news outta scare somebody!!!!!!!!!! With a demented bunny in each hand, can you see our newbies breaking down to door to get outta here?

I do agree that the boro room is hard to find. Now I know how to get to it but I used to click on "new posts" and go down the list until I saw a thread that came from the boro room. Somehow I was able to get into it backwards thru that type of link. (Still don't know how I did it! lol)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-02-20, 10:31am
Playing with Fire!

We teach a lot of beginning classes, both in soft glass and in boro. One of the things we give new flameworkers is a resource list of urls, which is topped by L.E.... all well and good. Then we try to explain the room layout and navigating the L.E. site, all goes well till we try to verbally tell them how to find the boro area and that's where most of them start getting confused (remember, these people have never been to L.E.). It would be much easier to have the Boro Room easily linked from the Main menu page, instead of being hidden inside another room.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-02-20, 6:38pm
Torchaholic ;)

I didnt even know there was a boro room for couple weeks or a month, but as long as there is one Im checking it out wherever it is!

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

Old 2010-02-20, 10:41pm
No Problem!

Seems more logical to first enter the "Boro Room" then conveniently find the tips and techs etc for boro there. The general tips and techs section could easily house all other COE's.

Here's how my head works...
Hard glass = 33 COE
Soft Glass = Everything else.

And boro ain't the dark side...it's the deep end.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2010-03-10, 5:58am

Not yet? 8(
Old 2010-04-06, 7:36am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i just noticed that this poll was posted in 2 different places. so i'll repost my comment here.

why is it hidden? i work stricly with boro. i have a shop full of product ,and aside from 2 or 3 things ,i'd show it all to my extremly conservative ,religious grandmother. since i joined a couple weeks ago, my beads ,pendants and sculptural work have taken a giant leap forward. thanks mostly to the things i learned looking at the soft glass side of the lampwork community. i think it would benifit everyone to bring boro out of the closet.

side note , it took me several visits before i even realized there was a boro room.

tips and techniques thread / 1,553 views , 49 replies
boro room thread / 621 views , 20 replies

having a different room for boro makes sense. but chaining it up in the basement and calling it sloth , seems counter productive. i thought the point of a forum like this was to share ideas and innovation. when i started lampworking, i looked around here, and then went and joined a diffferent glass forum, because i didn't think there was any boro here. it wasn't until i decided to look into soft glass techniques , that i came back and joined here. then after several visits i , accidentally ,stumbled upon the boro room.

Old 2010-04-06, 3:43pm
Pyromaniac

I PMed Corri and while back and did not hear back from her.
If anyone has any ideas let us know.

Old 2010-04-06, 8:20pm

I just don't see the big deal about it. You can always just bookmark the page after all. Why pester Corri over such a non-event? Sometimes I think people look for a reason to be offended/upset/angry over stuff that really doesn't matter much.......................

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-04-06, 8:30pm
ManBearPig

It's not really pestering if this many people want it to happen. After all, without people coming here, what good is a message board? It literally takes three mouse clicks and about 15 seconds to move it.

Old 2010-04-06, 8:47pm
Pyromaniac

I am not at all angry or upset; I love this whole place, especially the boro room.
I don't think we are hidden in the Tips and Techniques because of any bad feelings towards boro or any attempt to hide us.
I realize there is some history to the forum and to why it is the way it is, but maybe it's time to change things.
It's purely an organizational thing as far as I am concerned and could be more user friendly.

I started the poll because I think things could be organized in such a way that makes it easier for people to find boro information . . . especially new people. It's very confusing until you get used to it. If you take a look at the poll in the Tips and Techniques section, you'll find that a lot of people feel the same way.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153848

It's Corri's choice whether she changes it or not, but I think it would be nice to have an answer either way.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-04-06 at 8:55pm.
Old 2010-04-06, 9:01pm
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i can find it just fine , now. making easier to find for new visitors makes sense. i found this site 6 months before i joined. i thought i was a forum all about soft glass. i came back looking information about soft glass techniques and stumbled across the boro section.