LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-01, 9:51am

Default Peppermints

Uggghhh! I'm driving myself crazy trying to make these! It should be simple enough to make them, right? I've been making straight sided lentils, placing red across them, reheating, poking and finally twisting.

They are ALL turning out like crap. I know PPP but this experiment isn't going anywhere.

HELP!!!!

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-01, 9:54am
state-eternal change

Try pressing after adding the color stripes and twisting maybe? What exactly is it that is unsatisfying about your results?

Old 2011-11-01, 9:55am
Uh Oh....

Do you have some pictures of those crappy peppermints? We need to see them to see what you're doing wrong. It sounds like what you are doing should work just fine.

Old 2011-11-01, 10:57am

Well, maybe they're not THAT bad and maybe my hand-eye coordination wasn't in sync earlier....
I put them straight into my wonkie bucket so they may look a little chomped on already.

Duane

Old 2011-11-01, 11:01am
Meet Molly

Robin (FosterFire) posted a while ago sketches with instructions and then finally peppermint photos. I saved it in my Lampwork Tutorials and Info. folder on my desktop but forgot to include the URL address. So instead, I'll copy it and paste it here.

I'm sure this will help you out. But remember, this is Robin's work, not mine...she deserves all the credit!

Neomi

Christmas Peppermints – Diagrams & Directions- by Robin Foster (FosterFire on LE)

Here are some of the tips to making a very neat looking peppermint:

1. Make the base using a press, such as Zoozii's Straight Sided Lentil.

2. Start your stringer in the middle of the bead to the outer edge, then back to the middle to the outer edge and go all the way around the equator.

3. Make sure all the starts and stops are in the center of each side.

4. As shown in the diagram, do your diagonals one side at a time. I make my bead in the middle of the mandrel, so once one side of the bead has it's stripes I can trade hands and do the other side of the bead. So do all the diagonals on one side completely first and then on start the other side of the bead.

5. The half-length stripe that goes straight up to the mandrel is where you want to tuck in the melty end towards the mandrel with a tungsten or stainless steel pick.

6. Now you have a fairly congested intersection in the middle of your bead, so heat that little area and gently tweeze off the excess.

7. Allow the glass to relax back into the center. It should leave you a small open area for your twirl. You can re-press if necessary, but remember to get rid of any chill marks.

8. Heat center. Using stringer, stab, twist gently, blow, break off stringer. Now do the other side.

9. Add clear ends for candy wrapper, if desired.

Pics didn't come up no matter what I tried. Sorry about that. If you'd like to have them, pm me with your e-mail and I'll attempt forwarding the file to you or maybe you can pm Robin for them. Enjoy making Peppermints!

Robin Foster - plays with fire and a rock hammer!!
FosterFire Glass Art, www.fosterfireglass.com

Last edited by Cinnamon; 2011-11-01 at 11:04am.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:05am
Smile, it's contagious!

I think I do it the same way you are doing it.

Make a white bead
press
add very thin red stringer
melt in (you may want to press again at this stage so when you heat & twist, the whole bead isn't mushy)
heat center
twist with white stringer
gently reheat
press
remove chill marks

... then add the pig parts for a pigmint.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:06am
state-eternal change

Yeah, I don't think they look bad at all! I would suggest heating the red stripes more slowly, and remember to strike the red a few times (cool to no glow, then warm up a few times). That should lessen the orange/yellow tones. If you want no bleeding of the red into the white, try giving your red rod a thin encasement of clear before you pull it out into stringer.

You could try a darker red too if you like.

Old 2011-11-01, 11:07am
state-eternal change

Aw, what a cute piggie!

Old 2011-11-01, 11:08am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks Jody!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2011-11-01, 2:34pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
I think I do it the same way you are doing it.

Make a white bead
press
add very thin red stringer
melt in (you may want to press again at this stage so when you heat & twist, the whole bead isn't mushy)
heat center
twist with white stringer
gently reheat
press
remove chill marks

... then add the pig parts for a pigmint.

This little guy is just too darn cute.

Just saw a picture somewhere showing the peppermints and now instructions on how to make them awesome! thank you for sharing.

Old 2011-11-01, 3:59pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I do mine almost like that..only I do the stripe from hole to hole first,melt partway and tuck in the ends. Then I do the equator stripe, but don't cross the other stripe. Then do the diagonal stripes starting in the middle and going all th way around to the other side.Slowly melt all this in and press again. Then do the twist! Make sure your lentil is a little small to begin with too.

Old 2011-11-01, 4:01pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Here's pic of mine...
Attached Images

Old 2011-11-01, 6:02pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

How funny! I was wondering if this was still around someplace..!
Old 2011-11-01, 6:12pm
Wendy

Here's the link: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70232

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2011-11-02, 7:01am

I've noticed a few things with my first attempts at making these. First, I think I was placing too many red lines (and I was doing ONE side at a time) second, I wasn't melting the lines in and gently pressing before twisting.

I made a few quick tests ( non annealled, thrown under fiber blanket) last night. They turned out significantly better. I'll try some more real ones tonight. I also noticed if I slow down my stringer control (or lack thereof) a bit things will be a bit cleaner

Duane