LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-07-12, 4:10pm

Default KILN ?????

hello everyone~

i'm debating on which kiln, glasshive/bluebird XL OR an arrowsprings kiln with a separate controller system~

what happens if the controller goes out and you can't use your kiln???

thanks in advance
jeri
Old 2008-07-12, 9:49pm

You would need to replace your controller, or more likely, the relay in the controller. The controller measures the temperature, and tells the relay (usually a mechanical relay) to open or close in order to provide electricity to the coils. The advantage of the computer controller is that you don't have to be around. Set the program, and go home. I have three kilns used for fused glass, and have had one relay failure- about a $100 fix. Usually use multiple step programs and 2-3 day firing times. I looked at your choices. Arrow Springs wants to sell you the kiln, then the controller- about $1000, blue bird has the Sentry built in- about $570. I use a Sentry on my bead kiln. Works fine, just takes patience to set the programs. Mine holds four programs. If you are a hobbyist, I'd go with the lower price. I have a Paragon pottery kiln- it is well built, and they are very good at customer service. The glasshive looks very well made. Any kiln with a rheostat controll can be converted into a computer control. You plug the kiln into the computer, the computer into the wall socket. Ebay has controllers- about $400 each.
Charles
Old 2008-07-12, 10:18pm

wow charles, thanks so much for the info!

i used to be a professional potter and miss it terribly, but now i'm hooked on glass!

which glass kiln do you use?

thanks so much,
jeri

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2008-07-12, 10:25pm
da General

Jeri,

I have a glasshive kiln and love it! There is something to say for purchasing something from the person who actually makes it! Mike Crowley provides one of the best customer service in our industry to boot!

I love the size of the glasshive - it's 18" wide and 6" deep, giving me loads of room. If you decide to go with a different brand, I would recommend getting one with a 4" high door instead of 2". I find the 2" very restricting when placing the beads in the kiln.

Hope this helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-13, 9:18am

chiming in here .. I have the Arrow Springs + controller and I absolutely LOVE it. I first used one when I took my first ever beadmaking class. Fell in love with it because the bead door is so handy AND the elements are encased in quartz which is a MAJOR safety point. It took me 5 years before I finally got sick of batch annealing and broke down and bought my annealer and I wish I had done it sooner.

The controller has lots of room to add your own programs. I just recently added one for boro and it was VERY easy to do. Plus the folks at AS are super to work with. My controller went goofy on me one day and they very kindly walked me through what I needed to do to make it all better (it was in the manual, duh and was simple to do).

I bought the larger version because I tend to make lots of small beads. If you were going to start doing off mandrel stuff you might want to look at the paragon with the big front door/bead door combo. Just thinking ahead. I've used that model at Glasscraft when I take classes there and it's handy to be able to open the front WIDE for the off-mandrel stuff (which I never do at home so don't really need it ... just trying to give you something more to think about).