Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-12-29, 4:51pm
too many rods in the fire

Default New Cheetah, not enough Oxy? Pls. help!

Hi All:

I got a wonderful Christmas present this year - a brand new Cheetah! I am over the moon, but when I hooked it up (to two 5 lpm oxy cons Y'd together) to try it out, I am getting a reducing flame and short, uneven candles. I don't want to damage my torch, so I turned it off. I want to try to figure out what's wrong before I use it! I've read everything I can find here on LE but nothing specifically answers my questions, and I'm enough of a newbie that I don't want to chance it and misinterpret information.

I've been told by a few folks that it's likely I don't have enough oxygen to fuel the torch properly. One oxy concentrator is a DeVilbiss that has been reworked for lampworking use. The second is a medical concentrator, a MobilAire V, that has very low hours. Both work fine - I've tried them on my Minor.

I just found another oxy con on Craigs List for a good price. He says it's an 8 lpm but I haven't seen it yet, so I am not certain of that.

Let me just say up front that unfortunately I do NOT have the money in the foreseeable future for a generator or a Regalia, etc. So the only workable solutions for me are connecting several "regular" concentrators together, or going back to tanked oxy. I would prefer not to go back to tanked because it was a huge hassle. However, the guy selling the concentrator said he also has several oxy tanks that he is willing to sell. If the price is right, I might buy one as a back up. But I am not sure what a good price would be for an oxy tank.

So I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folks will chime in here and help me out!

1) does it sound likely from what I've said that insufficient oxygen is the problem?

2) If so, would linking a third concentrator probably make the difference?

3) What is a reasonable price to pay for an oxygen tank?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or information you can provide - it's much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-29, 5:01pm

A third concentrator would probably help, but a big problem you will run into is the low pressure that most medical units put out. I haven't tried running my Cheetah on concentrators. I ran my Lynx on a 7 LPM concentrator and it was ok but not great. I really prefer 20 PSI for pressure and most concentrators are only 7-8 PSI. Some can do 10 PSI, but that would be at the low end of what I would want to try working with and I don't hink you could get that high if the concentrators are linked.

As far as tank prices, I found in the Dallas/Ft Worth area tanks run $100 to $250 from the gas companies depending on size. These prices are for 150 to 250 cubic foot tanks. I lease four 300 cf tanks for $40/year each. One of these last me around 30 hours mixed Lynx and Cheetah time. I would not get anything under 100cf for a Cheetah. I believe they use 15 to 20 cf an hour at top end.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-12-29, 5:47pm

You might end up, for now, better off with the tank. I don't believe two 5 lmp concentrators will work for the Cheetah, and if you add the 8, then I think you are going to have problems because the three concentrators won't be balanced. The Cheetah is a great torch. I hope you get to enjoy it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-12-29, 8:03pm

OK, I got back home and checked my notes. According to Kimberly and GTT, at full blast the Cheetah uses about 22 CFH (10.4 LPM) at high pressures and 25 CFH (11.8 LPM) at low pressure. This means that it should do fair on two 5 LPM concentrators that are producing good purity at 8 to 10 PSI. I hardly ever run my Cheetah at full blast even doing work with 18mm boro rod.

So if you are not able to get an oxidizing flame, it probably means you are not getting good purity out of the concentrators or their PSI is real low. I just looked online and it looks like the Invacare Mobilaire V only puts out 5 PSI while the DeVilbiss puts out 8.5 PSI. I see two problems with this. One the 5 PSI is probably too low to work with the Cheetah well. Two and more probably, the DeVilbiss is overpowering the Mobilaire and back pressuring it. This would mean that it isn't contributing anything to the LPM flow and may damage the Mobilaire if done for long.

You might want to see what the brand of the 8 LPM concentrator is and look up the specs on it. IF it does in the 8-9 PSI range, it might be a good match for the DeVilbiss. You could dial back the LPMs on each to 4 and 7 or maybe a bit lower to increase the oxygen purity and be set for soft glass and fair size boro work.

We have a 5 LPM and 7 LPM setup that Angelique uses on her minor. I might try hooking the Cheetah up to that and seeing how it does. Probably won't be till tomorrow at the earliest though.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-12-29, 8:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
OK, I got back home and checked my notes. According to Kimberly and GTT, at full blast the Cheetah uses about 22 CFH (10.4 LPM) at high pressures and 25 CFH (11.8 LPM) at low pressure. This means that it should do fair on two 5 LPM concentrators that are producing good purity at 8 to 10 PSI. I hardly ever run my Cheetah at full blast even doing work with 18mm boro rod.

So if you are not able to get an oxidizing flame, it probably means you are not getting good purity out of the concentrators or their PSI is real low. I just looked online and it looks like the Invacare Mobilaire V only puts out 5 PSI while the DeVilbiss puts out 8.5 PSI. I see two problems with this. One the 5 PSI is probably too low to work with the Cheetah well. Two and more probably, the DeVilbiss is overpowering the Mobilaire and back pressuring it. This would mean that it isn't contributing anything to the LPM flow and may damage the Mobilaire if done for long.

You might want to see what the brand of the 8 LPM concentrator is and look up the specs on it. IF it does in the 8-9 PSI range, it might be a good match for the DeVilbiss. You could dial back the LPMs on each to 4 and 7 or maybe a bit lower to increase the oxygen purity and be set for soft glass and fair size boro work.

We have a 5 LPM and 7 LPM setup that Angelique uses on her minor. I might try hooking the Cheetah up to that and seeing how it does. Probably won't be till tomorrow at the earliest though.
Hi Paul, and thank you so much for the research and helpful info!

How bizarre (to me at least!) that the Cheetah would use more CFH at low pressure than at high! Learn something (or a dozen somethings!) new every day.

The guy who has the concentrator for sale said he "thought" it was a DeVilbiss and he "knew" it was an 8 lpm. I'm hoping to hear back from him tonight to confirm the info and also how many hours are on the machine.

Someone else had said the same thing about the DeVilbiss i have overpowering the MobilAire. If the concentrator I am looking into is a good match for my DeVilbiss, I think I will just buy it and hook them up together, taking the MobilAire out of the loop for now and see what that does. I don't want to hesitate and have him sell the concentrator to someone else, only to find out it would have been a good match for my DeVilbiss! If it works, I can always sell the MobilAire, and if it doesn't, I can sell both of them if need be!

If you are able to hook your Cheetah up to your wife's 2 concentrators, I will be eager to hear the results. I really appreciate you and others taking the time to help me figure this out.

For now I only work in soft glass, so I hope that I can find an economical way to power my Cheetah for soft glass. I can worry about boro down the road.

Old 2008-12-29, 9:12pm
PyronamixK

I have run a Cheetah on two DeVilbisses and got about 50% of what it could do on tanked. Even though it is not using the torch's potential, it was still nice for soft glass beads and maybe some small boro.

But, that was running two concentrators that put out the same psi. When you are running two concentrators that put out dissimilar psi, if the pressure difference is greater than about 2 psi, you will not get as much LPM out of the lower psi unit. I tested out an Invacare (similar to Mobilair) with an Integra10 (similar psi output as a DeVilbiss) and found that I was only getting one r two LPM from the lower psi machine, making the output much lower than it would have been if they were putting out the same (or close) psi.

What happens is the oxygen coming from the higher psi machine pressurizes the main line and the lower psi machine has a hard time pushing its oxygen into that line. It gets backpressured.

To get more oxygen to the torch, the solution would be to run two or more concentrators that put out the same (or close) psi. And with the Cheetah, the higher the psi, the better.
Old 2008-12-29, 9:29pm

Thanks Kimberly and Paul!

I really can't express how much I appreciate all the helpful and kind people here on LE. As a new lampworker, it is just invaluable to have such an amazing support system and network of cool folks at my fingertips.

I will definitely post once I find out about the new oxy con - fingers crossed and prayers sent up that it is a match for my DeVilbiss!!

Old 2008-12-29, 9:42pm
In search of her path....

Not enough oxy and not enough PSI. The cheetah is a FANTASTIC torch but its kind of a oxy piggie...and it likes higher PSI ran through it you might want to look at tanked oxy a K tank if you torch alot wont last a super long time 10-12 hours maybe? (that was what I got out of it when i was doing boro if soft glass you can probally get more) Now the liquid oxy rocked it out and was the best deal by far. Propane lasted really well so I didnt need anything bigger than a BBQ.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-30, 9:13am
PyronamixK

It's not really an oxygen "pig," since it uses less oxygen than other torches capable of working the same size glass. "Pig" implies waste or inefficiency.

You're going to use more oxygen on a Cheetah than a Lynx or another 7 jet torch because the Cheetah is a larger torch and has almost twice the number of jets. Actually, while on full blast, the Cheetah uses oxygen in the neighborhood of what a Mini CC uses at full blast, maybe a hair more, yet it has almost twice the number of jets, a wider flame, and a heck of a lot more heat!
Old 2008-12-30, 10:48am
In search of her path....

lol I dont mean pig as in wasteful your right its not just in terms of what I went through with a smaller torch it went through ALOT and definately needed more pressure. But I love the GTT's they are wonderful torches i have had a bobcat and a Cheetah....both just great.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-30, 11:11am
Empress of Fire & Wire

hey there, I have a cheetah and I run it on 2 7 lpm concentrators and it runs about 70% or something like that. I have no problems with it. I have even made a few boro beads.

Old 2008-12-30, 12:03pm

Purplelily, that is good to know! If you are running well on your set up, then that means there's hope for me with a few tweaks to mine.

I have a friend who has an oxy concentrator that "should" match up well with my DeVilbiss (8.5 psi) - the stronger of my two concentrators. Her DH is going to bring it over tomorrow and hook it up with my DeVilbiss and see how the torch performs. If it works fine with her concentrator and my stronger one, then I will know what I need to do! He's also bringing a tank of oxy for me to use in the interim - did I mention what really great friends I have???

I'm still waiting to confirm the model and stats on the concentrator I found on CL. If it turns out it IS another DeVilbiss with 8 psi, then I might just be set!

If anyone else has a Cheetah and is willing to post what you are using to run it and how efficient it seems, I would be eager to hear. It's always good to have a range of options!

Old 2008-12-30, 1:19pm
sorcerer

I'm running my cheetah on two OG20s and I seem to have heaps of oxy, most of the medical concentrators just don't put out enough pressure, on bottled oxy you will very soon use up enough to have bought another concentrator, if you can save up for something bigger, the cheetah is a fantastic torch if you have enough oxy.
Bernard
Old 2008-12-30, 1:23pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
You might end up, for now, better off with the tank. I don't believe two 5 lmp concentrators will work for the Cheetah, and if you add the 8, then I think you are going to have problems because the three concentrators won't be balanced. The Cheetah is a great torch. I hope you get to enjoy it.
We run ours on three. Two 5 lmps and one M15, which is a 10 lmp if I'm not mistaken. The way we fixed the balance issue was to use a homemade tank. Someone here on le posted a how to a while back and Greg made one up. It works fabulous. I couldn't be happier with my cheetah.

I don't think Greg used this one, but same idea:

http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm

P.s. I'm sure it isn't running at 100%, but I can do marbles at about 1 1/2 inch and larger sculptural stuff just fine with a really nice even, hot flame. I use Bullseye glass.

~
~
~
~
~

Last edited by ChaseDesigns; 2008-12-30 at 1:29pm.
Old 2008-12-30, 1:37pm
phrit phreak

I ran my cheetah this am on my 2 devilbiss's's's's and I had great candles etc. I just need to remember that I'm running much much hotter then my bobcat was. It always seems to take me awhile to get use to the learning curve. Like from hothead to bobcat....now bobcat to cheetah..... I just need to get in the studio more

Old 2008-12-30, 3:35pm

Woo hooo Lori - that is great news! I am glad to hear you were able to get a good flame and good candles today.

I'm feeling much more positive now that I know help is on the way in the form of my friend's DH. He is really very handy - and he's bringing a tank of oxy to check the flame against first, then cross check what we get with the various configurations of the concentrators. I'm feeling optimistic that we will figure out something that will work so I can start using my shiny new Christmas Cheetah!

And Deanna, thanks so much for posting the link to Trey's great tut. I printed it out and will discuss it with my friend's hubby tomorrow. I bet that is another great option to try in my quest to avoid forking over huge bucks for a generator! It's good to know your torch runs so well of the 3 concentrators.

Isn't this a fascinating subject? All the variables that go into running a torch and all the different possible ways to get good performance out of the same torch. Love it!

Last edited by SassyGlass9; 2008-12-30 at 4:10pm.
Old 2008-12-30, 4:31pm

It is fascinating and I think what we all have to remember is that what works for one person may not work for another for the work they want to do. However, I am now lusting over 2 OG20s instead of just the one I have, but my one works good enough for the work I do, so I guess.........................Darn it, now I want another one!!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-12-30, 7:29pm

I would love the OG15 I have to bloody work! This is a $3,500 machine that is sitting idle until OG decides whether or not to ship me a replacement part for a faulty part.

Kym
Old 2008-12-30, 11:29pm

OMGoodness Kym - gulp! That is horrible. To spend that much money on something and then not having it working, AND be having to wonder if you will get a replacement part? I would just cry!

I'm hoping you are able to get the part and get it fixed ASAP.

Old 2008-12-30, 11:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
It is fascinating and I think what we all have to remember is that what works for one person may not work for another for the work they want to do. However, I am now lusting over 2 OG20s instead of just the one I have, but my one works good enough for the work I do, so I guess.........................Darn it, now I want another one!!!
So true Pam. And I'm sorry if this thread has caused you "oxy envy"! If it makes you feel any better, I would be totally THRILLED to have the one OG20 you have. It's obviously working well for you - I saw the pictures you posted in the "dots" thread in the Gallery and all I can say is WOW!!!

Old 2008-12-31, 2:10pm

LoriBird, I am hoping to avoid these transitions between torches. I don't think I can get hooked on a torch only to fall in love and discover its limitations. I don't yet own a torch. What torch do you wish you had started out with and why?
Old 2008-12-31, 8:12pm

Default WooooHoooo!!! I've got a neutral flame!

I am so dang excited I can barely type!

I have a great flame with even candles!! And believe it or not, I got that flame with my two existing concentrators!!

I have to give a huge shout out to Mitch and Becki Meckier. I am really blessed to have such generous people as friends. Mitch came over today and brought a bunch of tools, a spare torch and hoses, and a full oxygen tank just in case! He disconnected the concentrator I wasn't sure of from my Cheetah and hooked it up to the Minor he'd brought, tweaked a few things, checked the hoses and clamps, made some adjustments and voila - I have an awesome flame on my Cheetah!!!

Turns out my dad didn't quite get the new concentrator connected quite right when he y'd it to my other concentrator. Now that everything is connected tightly, it works just fine.

I also want to thank Deanna for posting Trey's holding tank link because I am going to do that as well, just to give my Cheetah a little extra "oomph".

And huge thanks to everyone who posted helpful information, either in this thread or via PM. I appreciate this community so much. (In fact, I appreciate this community sooo much that I posted a thread in the Family Room about it!)

Thank you all - you're wonderful. And this happy lady is off to fire up her Cheetah and play with fire!

Old 2008-12-31, 11:35pm

you cant run a cheetah on concentrators...either use tanks or liquid.
Old 2009-01-01, 6:05am

Congratulations, Rene. I'm so glad it worked out for you! Now, play, play, play!!!!!

My Blog
Old 2009-01-01, 6:18am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thouston View Post
LoriBird, I am hoping to avoid these transitions between torches. I don't think I can get hooked on a torch only to fall in love and discover its limitations. I don't yet own a torch. What torch do you wish you had started out with and why?
I started on a hothead because I wasn't sure I was going to stick w/ this 'hobby'. Plus the $$. When I figured out I loved melting glass I got a bobcat so I could melt glass faster...and the money I made from my beads from my hothead I paid for my bobcat setup. Now, 3yrs later I was ready to go up to a cheetah..ONLY because I like to make some huge stuff...and I wanted to do it faster.
It's been a natural progression for me. I wouldn't have started out doing anything any different because every step has been for a reason. "If" I would've known I was going to love this...and had the $$...I would've started out w/ my bobcat.
I take transitions between torches as a positive learning experience...heat control, heat control, heat control...lol

Old 2009-01-01, 6:21am
phrit phreak

Rene' YEAH!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Old 2009-01-01, 6:29am
phrit phreak

Hey please let me know how your holding tank thing goes....Dh said it'd be easy to do but I dunno if I want one more thing to trip over if I don't need it need it..yanno? I have limited space.

Old 2009-01-01, 6:38am

Just to add to Loribird's post. I started with a hardware store torch, then a Turbotorch, then a hot head, Minor, Starfire, PM2D, Cheetah.

I'm not sure it would be possible to start with one torch and never change, except by luck. Each time I have changed or grown as an artist it has "required" a different torch. If you start with the Minor, I was making regular, almost normal size beads (okay, my beads have always been on the large size!! so normal for me is large to some of you I'm sure). I wanted to do larger work faster, so I bought the Starfire (forerunner to the Baracuda). I started doing boro, blowing and sculptural work and went to the water-cooled PM2D. When I finally settled on the fact that boro wasn't what I wanted to do, and what I really wanted to do were beads four to 5 inches long in soft glass, I found that both the Starfire and the PM2D were not what I needed for MY work. That was when GTT came out with the Cheetah. I fell in love with it and bought the prototype and loved it and still love it and for now this is the torch that is perfect for the work I am doing right now.

Who knows what the future will bring!!

My Blog
Old 2009-01-01, 4:42pm

I agree with Lori and Pam - each thing you learn leads to the next- and sometimes that also leads to a new torch! The good thing is, you can keep your other torches if you want to, but if you choose to sell them they really hold their value well, so you won't lose a lot of money on them.

And Lori, I will let you know how the holding tank works out. My space is limited too (and I'm a bit of a klutz!) so I have to figure out the best place to locate it before I do anything!

Old 2009-01-01, 9:54pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9403 View Post
you cant run a cheetah on concentrators...either use tanks or liquid.
A whole bunch of us are already running our cheetahs on concentrators, so I beg to differ.

Rene, You are welcome! I am glad you got it all working. Enjoy!

~
~
~
~
~