Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-04-02, 3:08am

Default Phantom or Mirage or Delta Elite?

It looks like the Mirage that I hoped to pick up is falling through. I haven't heard from the guy in close to a week on arranging the payment. So now that I have wrangled the funds together and convinced myself that I need to get a big two stage GTT what should I get?

I think I want to stick with a GTT. I REALLY love how my Lynx works, but it is not really big enough to work larger gathers of glass like I would like. The Cheetah is pretty good, but it is overkill for smaller pieces and can't get quite as small as I like while gulping oxy compared to the Lynx when I really only need it 10% of the time maybe. A two stage GTT would be the best option it looks like.

Anyway, for larger pieces, I plan to work mostly solid sculptural, not pipes so the widest flames are not as important I don't think. These are some of the type pieces I have done. I am wanting to do this style up to about 8 to 12 inches tall probably.

So, do I really need to go with a Mirage or Delta? Would I be good with a 4 stud Phantom? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-04-02, 3:43am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
It looks like the Mirage that I hoped to pick up is falling through. I haven't heard from the guy in close to a week on arranging the payment. So now that I have wrangled the funds together and convinced myself that I need to get a big two stage GTT what should I get?

I think I want to stick with a GTT. I REALLY love how my Lynx works, but it is not really big enough to work larger gathers of glass like I would like. The Cheetah is pretty good, but it is overkill for smaller pieces and can't get quite as small as I like while gulping oxy compared to the Lynx when I really only need it 10% of the time maybe. A two stage GTT would be the best option it looks like.

Anyway, for larger pieces, I plan to work mostly solid sculptural, not pipes so the widest flames are not as important I don't think. These are some of the type pieces I have done. I am wanting to do this style up to about 8 to 12 inches tall probably.

So, do I really need to go with a Mirage or Delta? Would I be good with a 4 stud Phantom? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!
Sounds like a 4-stud Phantom, to me. However, if I could afford the Mirage, then that's what I'd go with because eventually you're gonna want to go larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-02, 6:29am
yukue fumei

Paul--I think you should get the largest torch you can afford.
I have a Mirage and thought at that time I would never need another torch...well......now I am saving up for either a Delta or Cobra...with all the things I can do on a Mirage, it makes me want to push further and try even more ambitious things....
...ask yourself if the urge to do 12-14 inch sculptures is all you wish or if you dream secretly of doing larger....because once you do get that nice large torch, that itch is going to get stronger.....

nagi

Old 2009-04-02, 9:44am
No Problem!

Phantom would do ya fine for moderate sculpture. I'ts what I use and when it comes to constructed sculptural work (assembled components) the phantom will do that with lots of heat left over.
If I could have waited long enough I would have saved for Kobuki's 3 stage GTT..Lynx/Phantom/Delta all in one.
I like to have the lynx as a centerfire as it just has a great flame range for detail.
OTOH I haven't ever tried a Mirage or Delta for that matter...so it's just my biased opinon
If the Kobuki is more than you're looking to spend, for most things small medium and fairly large the Phantom will do the job with the most oxy/fuel efficiency.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-02, 1:05pm

The Kobuki is my dream torch right now.......
Old 2009-04-02, 2:39pm
No Problem!

I don't even want to know the price yet...too many things are above it on "the list".

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-02, 3:47pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9403 View Post
The Kobuki is my dream torch right now.......
word.

paul, go for the 4-stud phantom & get yourself a sweet foot pedal. i'm sure you'll be happy with that for a while, & then you can think about going even bigger when you really need to.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-04-02, 5:17pm

i own a delta and a phantom(and a lynx for that matter). you should buy the biggest you can afford. i love my delta and it is a HUGE heat difference.

i have an old school 2 stud for both. i would get a 4 now but i'm running liquid so saving gas isn't really a priority.

the kobuki is my dream torch too.... i wouldn't mind having his skills either.
Old 2009-04-02, 11:02pm

bulk buy on the kobuki torch? in my dreams I know. phantom is suited for what you want as of now, but like most here I agree; buy what you can afford and a little more. grow into a torch as your needs expand. personally I really dig my mirage as a everyday torch.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-04-04, 7:12am

Well it looks like my Mirage deal is going through. The guy was out of town on a business trip. Now to just wait impatiently for the UPS truck to arrive. I will have a Mirage and HotAss foot peddle so should be good for a while.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.

Last edited by Paul Ewing; 2009-04-04 at 3:05pm.
Old 2009-04-04, 3:03pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
Well it looks like my Mirage deal is going through. The fuy was out of town on a business trip. Now to just wait impatiently for the UPS truck to arrive. I will have a Mirage and HotAss foot peddle so should be good for a while.
i is jealous. congrats!

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-04-05, 10:01am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruca View Post
i is jealous. congrats!
I is, too! (But I'm getting a Phantom!)