LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-01-17, 5:59pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Default Price on gas line installation

Hi everyone. I just had a plumbing guy out to give me an estimate on installing a gas line into my new studio. Existing gas line is in the attic, and it's not too far to tee off from that pipe, across the attic floor, and down into the closet in the torch roomm... DH thinks maybe 20 feet total pipe at most. The quote was $450.... if anyone has had this done recently, does it seem like a reasonable price, or should I get more quotes?

TIA!
sherri

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2006-01-17, 7:27pm
Ad astra per aspera

That's a deal compared to what I paid a few months ago...$950! Go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-17, 8:32pm

I had the gas company do it. It cost $350. Then they let me divide it into 3 payments on my monthly gas bill. My gas line is in the basement. If yours is in the attic (is that common in Nashville?) it certainly will involve more work. Your plumber's quote seems just fine. BTW you'll need an adapter to hook up to your torch's tubing.
Old 2006-01-17, 8:58pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Thanks Suzanne and Karen. I really had no idea what it should cost - DH thinks 450 is way high, but obviously its not.

Here in Nashville, most houses are built on slabs or crawl spaces, so, yes gas lines in the attic are pretty common, I imagine. Maybe this should go in the "what do you hate about your house" thread - I never realized how awful it is not to have a basement. We've only been here a month, but I don't think we'll ever get used to it. Just *where* are you supposed to PUT stuff? lol

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2006-01-17, 10:57pm
Dichro Addict

I had a quote from a plumber and it was more than that. I don't remember, but it was at least $500.00, and it was a straight drop down the wall. Maybe I should have called the gas company. I decided to stay with propane. The city I live in has all kinds of regulations and it just wasn't worth it for me. I say go for it!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!
Lenora
Old 2006-01-18, 11:18am
Floral Obsessed

There's a thread about people's experiences in the Studio section. The prices vary wildly, depending on the area - maybe it has to do with the different regulations? $450 doesn't seem that unreasonable. It's in the middle ground. I paid $400 (CAD) and my line was already teed and had a shut-off already on it... the plumber just had to entend it 5 feet in the same room, add a final valve, check for leaks, and get a permit person to inspect it. I'd go with the quote you got. Enjoy your new studio - it will be wonderful! -Heather
Old 2006-01-18, 11:46am
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Sherri - - I did exactly what you're doing . . . . had a gas line dropped from the attic into the closet of my torch room. I paid a plumber $350 to do it so your quote doesn't seem that unreasonable. It took him nearly a half a day, so I know it was alot of work.

My hubbie and I are building a new house and I'm having the natural gas line built into my room during the construction phase and they charged around $300 for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-18, 12:37pm
I'm a lilac!

I pay $55/hour for gas plumbing, plus permits and materials, so to me $450 seems really high, unless it really takes ALL day to do it.

Old 2006-01-18, 3:03pm

I paid $300 (paid cash and got $25 off). Took 2 plumbers about an hour and a half, but my installation was very easy as it was the basement and the run from where the gas comes into the house to my table was about 15 feet.
Why not get another estimate, I sure do like having the NG, so easy and you don't have to worry about running out of fuel.
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2006-01-18, 3:13pm
The food here sucks

Hmm, so I lucked out then... $140 - tapping in through the basement into a former master bedroom on the ground floor... and it only took about 30 to 40 minutes.

The plumber who did it was the same guy who did all our plumbing when we first had the house built, so that may have something to do with it, I don't know.

Fran

Old 2006-01-18, 4:00pm

Mine was nearly $500 to run flex pipe from my crawl space to my second floor workshop. I have a shut of fin the crawl space, and one on the floor under my bench. I have black iron pipe from the floor valve to a third valve just under my benchtop next to my torch.

It seemed like a lot (unless the flex line is really expensive ) for the amount of time it took (3 hours tops), but it is illegal for home owners to do there own gas lines here so I'm sure the plumbers take advantage of that fact.
Old 2006-01-18, 4:43pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Yeah, it must vary with the area....but enough of you have paid less than this to make me think I should get another quote..... I'm just so anxious and impatient to get this done

Thanks all!

Old 2006-01-18, 4:59pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Mine was $275 and that was done by the gas co. and included an inspection by the city. It took way longer than they thought but once I OK'd the work the quote was set so it didn't cost me any more. I think the cost depends a lot on the materials as well....the further away they are from your main line the more it costs b/c of the pipe.

-Yee

Old 2006-01-20, 12:33pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Holy, whatever!

I live in Colorado - and nothing is cheap here but my plumber did the job for under $200.00. He did a T off of an existing line and put in a shut-off valve also. I always thought your part of the country was inexpensive - guess I lucked out on something