Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-01-07, 5:55pm
Ishum Designs

Default Neutral Flame?

When I started all of this glass obsession - way back in September of 2010 - I used a Hot Head and I just used the flame I got.

But Christmas brought a Bobcat (a couple of oxy cons from a local flea market a month earlier helped too) and some silver glass . . . .

I know that the length of the little "candles" relates to the amount of propane in the mix. But . . . how can I tell if I have a "neutral" flame. What is considered a reducing flame? Oxidizing (or suitable for striking)? I did a search and found some discussion on this, but remain somewhat confused.

I have two 5 lpm oxy cons (Air Sep Elites) coupled to provide the oxygen and have my propane regulator set at 5 psi.

Thank you for your patience with this newbie. (And maybe I will get someone to demonstrate for me at the NorCal ISGB meeting later this month. But in the meantime . . . I have this obsession. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bill
Ishum Designs
Oakland, CA

GTT Bobcat with a pair of 5 lpm Air Sep Elites.
Old 2011-01-07, 7:09pm
Hobby Junkie

What was shown to me was...
An oxidizing flame has rounded end blue candles with no yellow/white tips to them.
A neutral flame has candles that are rounded blue with slight fuzzy yellow tips to them.
A reducing flame has longer yellow fuzzy tips to the candles.

Try to look for pics. It's hard to describe visually. Maybe someone else can chime in with a better description.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-07, 9:40pm

Here is a link to the carlisle mini cc burner instruction sheet, I know this is not the torch you are using so the flame will look different but on page 4 of this .pdf there is a graphic of flames types that will give you an idea of what to look for. Hope this helps. Btw I am hoping to get over to AS for the ISGB meeting myself, if so I would be happy to show you on a torch.

Jeff
Old 2011-01-29, 11:25am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Get yourself a couple rods of Glass Alchemy Amazon Night #987. Yes, I know it's boro but even softies should have it until they are confident they can get a neutral flame every time. You only use a short bit of the tip of the rod so it will last a long time... long enough for you to get used to seeing a neutral flame.

Glass Alchemy's instructions rephrased;
Heat the tip of the rod to a warm orange glow and let it cool. if the rod did not change color your flame is neutral; if it is a light sky blue or has a metalic sheen then you have a reducing flame. Otherwise it is oxidizing.
Old 2011-01-30, 9:29pm
Formerly Bakerman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Get yourself a couple rods of Glass Alchemy Amazon Night #987. Yes, I know it's boro but even softies should have it until they are confident they can get a neutral flame every time. You only use a short bit of the tip of the rod so it will last a long time... long enough for you to get used to seeing a neutral flame.

Glass Alchemy's instructions rephrased;
Heat the tip of the rod to a warm orange glow and let it cool. if the rod did not change color your flame is neutral; if it is a light sky blue or has a metalic sheen then you have a reducing flame. Otherwise it is oxidizing.
i second this.

Old 2011-02-01, 12:57am
I'm meeeeelting

Third.

Glass Alchemy recommends that you don't keep using the same bit of glass, though, so you may want to cut off the end after testing your flame so that you have fresh glass the next time.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-02-01, 1:02pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

That's what I meant when I said you only use a short bit of glass to do the test. I guess I should have been more specific. And why I said a couple of rods would last long enough for you to get the hang of it.