Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-01-17, 5:17am

Default Too big of a concentrator?

Can you get a concentrator that is too much for your torch? I have one concentrator and it works fine as much as I can tell. Just got it in October and it has a 1year warranty (Devilbiss 505). But I wondered about getting one of the M/P-10 from Kristian and saw I would have more power/pressure - whatever it is and that would be better, right?

THEN I wondered, I'm already looking at playing with bigger boro and wondering what it would be like on a Barracuda .... so ... in my logical mind .... could I get a M/P-20 so I'd have it IF/when I upgrade again and use it on the Piranha for now? Will I blow out the torch? Am I just jumping the gun - I've only had the Piranha since October and just now got real torch time on it. I'm now playing - PLAYING with boro and keep thinking ... with a *little* more heat ....

I've got it bad, don't I?

Martha
Old 2006-01-17, 5:51am
boro color bender

You've got it bad... yeperz. I think the M-20 would work fine on it, but I'd suggest getting the M-10 and upgrading to the Cuda with an M-30 later. You can sell the Piranha and the M-10 as a perfect package deal. The M-10 fits the Piranha perfectly and the M-30 will do the same for the Cuda!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-17, 8:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreamDesigns
Can you get a concentrator that is too much for your torch? I have one concentrator and it works fine as much as I can tell. Just got it in October and it has a 1year warranty (Devilbiss 505). But I wondered about getting one of the M/P-10 from Kristian and saw I would have more power/pressure - whatever it is and that would be better, right?

THEN I wondered, I'm already looking at playing with bigger boro and wondering what it would be like on a Barracuda .... so ... in my logical mind .... could I get a M/P-20 so I'd have it IF/when I upgrade again and use it on the Piranha for now? Will I blow out the torch? Am I just jumping the gun - I've only had the Piranha since October and just now got real torch time on it. I'm now playing - PLAYING with boro and keep thinking ... with a *little* more heat ....

I've got it bad, don't I?

Martha
Probably not... There is no such thing as too much oxygen with a concentrator...

There is really nothing to "blow out" in your torch....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-01-17, 9:15am
It's time to sparkle

I've seen concentrators blow out the smaller torches like Minor and Lynx. The M-10 was the culprit. But I should define what I mean by that. You light the torch, propane, then oxygen. Adjust to get a hotter and larger flame, and then when you turn the oxy up far enough, the oxy hisses then shuts off, leaving you to frantically try to relight with a bead in your hand.

The other way of defining blow-out as I see it would be that the pressure from the concentrator is so hard that it damages internal parts of the torch. That is not going to happen with the concentrators or generators, IMO.

We had a group of glass artists get together and try out a generator (Integra 10) vs a concentrator (M-10). The results were interesting, but a little confusing. The Integra seemed to do a better job at fueling the Minor, Lynx, and Bobcat because the torches were able to deal with the kind of pressure being put out. The M-10, we seemed to agree, actually was more powerful and sometimes caused havoc with the Lynx and Minor. It powers the Barracuda nicely.

Just to really confuse the conversation, we were all thinking that the Barracuda would work even better if the M-10 had a y-connection with the extra concentrator that the artist had. I don't remember which concentrator-a smaller one.