AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-02-11, 11:20pm

Default Looking for new torch

I'm wanting to upgrade from my hothead to a propane/oxy torch. I am mostly interested in making beads. I was wondering what would be a good first choice. I've been looking at getting the nortell minor and wondering if that would be a good one or if there is a better one out there.

Thanks,
Elaina
Old 2009-02-12, 12:11am

How much do you want to spend? Honestly the best torch for just small soft glass beads is the gtt cricket. I think they're only 130$. It will take a bit to get used to the different flame types compared to the HH. But it'll be fun and worth it.
Old 2009-02-12, 12:54am
Formerly known as LT

The amount you can or want to spend on an oxy source, and the size beads you wish to make in the future will better determine your choice. For a smaller torch I like...

GTT bobcat ($195.00), and Lynx($435.00).
The bobcat is a great first torch for price and value.
The Lynx is more than double the price, but makes up for that in features. It has a pinpoint flame, and you can make large beads on it. You could also work boro if you ever want to. I think it is a great first torch but the learning curve is a bit more.

Another option is the mini cc ($165.00). This torch is easy to use and will last a lifetime. You can also make large soft glass beads on this torch.

Personally I have not used the cricket ($139.99). It looks cute and does not take much oxy to run, but it is just to small for me. I would love to hear from someone who has tried the bobcat lynx, and cricket to compare them. What is 5 jets like as compared to 7?

I run a Cheetah to create rather large beads. I do a lot of sculpture and the extra flame size helps. I hope you enjoy your new torch whatever one you decide on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-12, 8:07am

You can get more out of a Lynx than a cricket but it will cost more upfront and cost more to run. I have a Cricket, Minor and Betta and have had a Lynx. Of the three, the Betta and the Cricket fit my needs well for beadmaking on the small side. I wouldn't mind running the lynx if I had more O2 though but there is a bit of a learning curve for the Lynx. A Lynx will probably do pretty much everything you want for boro and sculptural on the small scale.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2009-02-12, 10:11am
I fart diamonds

The Cricket is an awesome (and economical) 1st o/p torch. Especially if you're going to use an oxycon. As far as for making the average bead, there's nothing I can do on my Lynx that I can't do on my Cricket. I haven't tried anything super large but I am extremely impressed with my Cricket(s). (I have 2. And a Lynx.)

(I've also had a Cheetah, Barracuda, and CC (daily work torch), so I do have quite a bit of experience working with larger torches.)

Old 2009-02-12, 10:21am
just another glass addict

I have always thought the mini cc was a great small torch. As a lefty I liked the wide range of adjustability and the variations in flame are fantastic. I just tried a cricket for the first time and I liked it and if I had to work on a small concentrator I might go for that, but I think the mini is much more versatile for someone starting out. But that's just my opinion from working in a retail glass store for years. The best thing to do is try stuff out in person to find what is good for you.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2009-02-12, 10:43am

Wow! Lots of great comments! I was hoping to spend under $300 for the torch and I think I will probably go with the M-10 for my oxycon. It doesn't sound like too many people are impressed with the minor bench burner. I've got some tough decisions to make but I'm sure anything will be much better than my hothead. Thanks for all the input I've received so far!

Last edited by pharmerblair; 2009-02-12 at 10:46am.
Old 2009-02-12, 10:58am

I love my Cricket! I went from a Piranha to the Cricket with 1 oxycon, and I've made some pretty big beads without any problem. I've also done small boro with the Cricket and it handles it quite well. For the money, I don't think you could do any better.

Old 2009-02-12, 12:46pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with a minor. It will do pretty much anything you like especially if you pump up the O2 but a cricket is definitely cheaper to run and buy etc.
Old 2009-02-12, 4:50pm

Again...it all depends on what your gong to make and how far you want to go. If your just gonna make small soft glass beads...cricket ...If you want to move to large beads and sculture and Boro. then you need a bigger torch and a better oxy supply.

So let us know what your goals are.
Old 2009-02-12, 5:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I LOVE my minor - but I love my cricket more

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-12, 5:38pm

Love my mini cc. Not a problem for over a year. Able to work small or heat up enough glass to blow Christmas ornaments. I am a very happy camper.
Old 2009-02-12, 9:51pm

I just want to make small to medium sized beads right now. I'm thinking about going with the cricket now because it sounds like an awesome torch. It sounds like it will work on a M-10 pretty well which is the oxycon I think I'll go with. Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 2009-02-12, 10:08pm
Bust It Big

Default Bobcat

All the GTT torches are awsome I am buying a Mirage as as soon as they can build one for me. Your best bet is to go with a GTT torch for sure A lot of people have suggested the cricket for you to start with. I suggest you consider the GTT Bobcat first before you buy anything. The Bobcat is just a little bigger than the cricket, and the price is still under the $200.00 range. Whatever you buy happy torchin, and best of luck.

Old 2009-02-12, 10:50pm

I can afford the bobcat. Is it worth the price difference and would it be able to run on an M-10 oxycon?
Old 2009-02-12, 11:33pm
Formerly known as LT

Call GTT and ask how the bobcat compares to the cricket and the oxy issue. They test there torches to see how they perform on different concentrators, so they would have more complete data, as compared to what someone can tell you that just tried it out.
Personally I would go for the larger torch. It is only two ports more but that could make a world of difference.

Old 2009-02-12, 11:36pm

the bobcat's nice, but it's not triple mix like the cricket ot lynx. Also you might want more oxy pressure if you go higher than a cricket. i know people will chime in and say they can run this great big torch on this little oxy con, but you have to remember when you push your oxy con to it's limits you loose oxy purity.

Just some more stuff to ponder.
Old 2009-02-12, 11:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The cricket is not a triple mix either. The lynx is the smallest of their triple mix torches.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:25am
PyronamixK

The Bobcat can get hotter than a Cricket, even on a little 5 LPM concentrator. However, the Cricket can get a more oxidizing flame on that 5 LPM. The Cricket can also get a smaller pinpoint flame than the Bobcat.

If you were interested in working larger/hotter and did not need a very small pinpoint flame or a super oxidizing flame from a 5 LPM oxycon, then the Bobcat would be a better choice because you can get more out of it. For small to medium beads or even small boro, the Cricket is a great choice.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
The cricket is not a triple mix either. The lynx is the smallest of their triple mix torches.
ooops...sorry. ignore my post then.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:17pm

Hmm, now I want both the cricket and the Bobcat...lol. Decisions, decisions.
Old 2009-02-13, 12:22pm
I fart diamonds

Where in Florida are you?

Old 2009-02-13, 9:47pm

In Destin...up in the panhandle near Pensacola. Are you in FL too?
Old 2009-02-19, 12:47pm
I fart diamonds

Yes, in the Orlando area. I was going to invite over to try one out, but that's a bit of a hike, lol.

Old 2009-02-20, 10:54am

I JUST upgraded from a hothead.
I needed to pick--and I tried 3 torches I could afford/run on one concentrator/etc.--the minor (which after a hothead I truely HATED--I used one for 3 full days, I don't like the flame, it's hard to get a "fluffy" flame like you can get on the hothead--for radiant heat)
the mini cc--which runs "ok" on one 5lpm concentrator, but really, to be hot enough, wants 2 of them or a 10lpm, at least up here in Maine (maybe warmer weather makes a difference--but I had the chance to try Sue's both ways, & there IS a difference) & on tanked oxy (at the studio), where I it--I'm not doing tanked at home, so, while I truely adore that torch (adjustable forever, great fluffy flame for radiant heat, the switch for me seemed really intuitive once I got the "two knobs" vs. "one knob" thing down) I decided to go with...
the cricket (mom & dad just gave it to me for my birthday!)--it runs INCREDIBLY well on one concentrator, will melt reasonable sized boro just fine (beads, small sculpture--Pipyr's doing a lot of her small stuff on one with 2 concentrators), and I found it to have quite a bit more "radiant heat" feel to the flame than the minor did--which, after spending a decent amount of time on a hothead, is something I'm *used to* & *use* in my beadmaking. It's also FAST (and, yeah, I melt through mandrels on occasion....)
Price is really nice too. I spent all last weekend playing with one @ the studio (mine is still not 100% set up....sigh) & it just re-confirmed how much I really love the torch--it's fantastic (and, I actually re-melted the ends of my boro punties down & they melted so nice--just like soft glass ....I will not, not, not get hooked on boro....)
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-20, 5:04pm

I decided to go with the cricket...it will hopefully get here next week!! Thanks for all the advice and input from everyone.
Old 2009-02-20, 8:21pm
Bust It Big

Good choice i am sure you will be happy with it.