Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-05-11, 4:54pm

Default Torch Recommendations

Ok Here goes nothing. Don't shoot me if this topic has been asked a few hundred times!

I currently work 99.7 % soft glass on a Minor and tanked O2. In the (near) future I want to get involved with boro, but nothing too big and not on a regular basis.

I do, however, want to upgrade my torch. I did have two different torches in mind, Wale Apparatus's Firebird and Carlisle's Mini CC. As more time goes by I am hearing that there are better options than the Mini CC as that holds a LOT of "ambient" heat. What about a GTT torch? I know the Lynx will probably be a popular suggestion, but its currently out of my price range....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Duane M
Old 2009-05-12, 2:47pm

It alll depends on what your willing to spend. Stay away from the firebird...it's crap.
Old 2009-05-12, 2:59pm

Thanks for the reply and info RG. Can you be a bit more specific on why you don't like the Firebird? The more info I can get, the easier decision it would be not only for me, but for anyone else who's looking for a new torch. As far as how much I'm willing to spend....well the Firebird and Mini CC are roughly in the same price range for me ($200-275). If I absolutely have to I'll pay as high as $450 (the range of a GTT Lynx)

HAve a good evening

Duane
Old 2009-05-12, 3:18pm

what about a cricket? Whoa!!! if you can swing a lynx, get it...I don't think you'll regret it and you can do an awful lot of work on one.
Old 2009-05-14, 3:19pm

Earlier today I had the opportunity to speak directly with WALLY over at GTT. I told him my story and where I want to go with my glass. He first (almost immediately suggested the Lynx, but then he remembered that I really don't want to push my finances, etc. He continued to explain everything about the Bobcat to me. He said it'll handle up to small/med boro beads plus should be able to handle some boro marbles too.

So, when the time comes...I guess I'm resting my (glass) faith with Wally.
I can only hope I'm right

Duane
Old 2009-05-14, 9:16pm

I have both a mini-cc and a bobcat. I work with an oxycon and the mini-cc doesn't work nearly as well for me as my bobcat (although I prefer the mini-cc for soft glass). The bobcat's flame is more focused and I get alot better color out of boro when I use it. It also melts boro a little faster than the mini-cc.

Good luck with your forays into boro~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-One of a kind boro frit blends!