No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-28, 5:03pm
Tweedle Dumb

Default sashas silver glass help

i just ordered and received sasha's silver. i honestly thought it was a striking glass, which i have down, but when it failed to strike for me i realized it was a reducer! i haven't ever had any luck with ANY reduction, dont get me wrong, i can get it to reduce, but it all seems to look about the same, black shiney gun metal , no matter what color i use. so the question is how the heck do i get COLOR out of it and when i do, how do i go about encasing it. this reduction thing is a whole new beast to me! so help me, please!
Old 2009-04-28, 5:12pm
da General

The earlier batches of Sasha's Silver were both striking and reducing. . . the later ones are only reducing.

It's also called Michelangelo. There are a few posts regarding this glass under that name . . . do a search if you are interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 5:13pm
Tweedle Dumb

this said it was first run....
Old 2009-04-28, 5:27pm
da General

First run as in first quality perhaps? What color is the rod?

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 5:47pm
Tweedle Dumb

well thats kinda throwin' me too... i got 1/4 pound, 6 rods are transparent blueish green, and i got one that has the same bluish green tone but is opaque...? got it from abr, says first... and it looks opaque baby blue in their picture...
Old 2009-04-28, 5:51pm
da General

I got some from ABR too fairly recently and it doesn't strike. The ones I got over a year, a year and a half ago did. Those did not contain any transparent rods, the newer batches do. . . . at least in the ones I got!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 5:52pm
Tweedle Dumb

so reducing stuff huh.... bummer. lol. thanks for your help
Old 2009-04-28, 5:55pm
da General

It's very pretty, reduced then encased!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 6:00pm
Tweedle Dumb

so stupid question time... do you encase in the reducing flame so the reduction doesnt go away? seems obvious, but i get mud everytime i encase a reduction, striking i get, reduction i don't..
Old 2009-04-28, 6:56pm
da General

I adjust back to a neutral flame after reduction is done and keep the bead below the flame when encasing. Anouk has a great tutorial out on that if you are interested.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125693

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-28, 7:11pm

Jamie Lynne, I have Anouk's tutorial and found it really helpful. I was having trouble reducing ANYthing properly, which I gather is your difficulty also.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-04-28, 7:12pm

Sasha's Silver is one glass that, for me at least, looks better the more it is cooked. It also will keep some of its reduction color when used as a base under striking silver glasses so you can get some nice contrasts going. This is Hades black with Sasha's Silver shards and StrikingColor B1 frit.

Old 2009-04-28, 7:27pm

What a nice combination, Carol, using the shards and the frit. Beautiful bead.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-04-28, 7:35pm
Channeling Chaos

I also can get very beautiful purples out of Sasha's Silver.
Alana
Old 2009-04-28, 10:10pm

I love the original Michaelangelo ... beautiful blue/greens when reduced and encased. I can't get quite the look with the newer batches (more transparent rods) but still get nice blueish effects - just not as obvious.

Old 2009-04-28, 11:11pm

Thanks Nancy! Mine are all the older, opaque rods - I guess I need to try some of the newer stuff (always looking for a good excuse to buy more glass!)

Old 2009-04-29, 6:17am
Tweedle Dumb

does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like encased and unencased? maybe i am getting the results i'm supposed to be getting, and i just don't like it. i made one last night, encased, and it ended up kinda looking like a blue butterfly wing...kinda... if ya squint real hard and tilt your head to the side and use you imagination! LOL. and i tried one unencased and i got what reminds me of a dragonfly, kinda irridecent blue. looks like it is tutorial time, since i already blew almost an entire rod last night dinkin around with it.
Old 2009-04-29, 12:08pm
What was I thinking?

Smile

Ooh, Carol, beautiful bead!!! Inspired me to try making shards one more time.

Old 2009-04-29, 1:25pm
Gimme that silver glass!

I only have the older rods, and this is what I got encased:

I haven't used it in a while though, but after seeing your bead Carol I wanna use it right away, lovely!

And thank you Hayley and Nancy for your kind words !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-04-30, 11:14am
Tweedle Dumb

OHHHH! i did it! granted it was just the end of the rod (cause i really didn't want to waste anymore on fugly beads) but i did it! i guess sometimes it helps to read the directions... and follow them! i was using a HUGE HONKIN reduction flame with zero oxy because i was used to working with taxco which suggests using a zero oxy dragons breath reduction flame, once i toned the reductiong flame down to about 2 inch candle it worked like a charm! whoooo hooo! bad news is now i'll be buying more glass, lol.
Old 2009-04-30, 12:28pm

Thank you !!!!!!! I started playing with my Sashas Silver yesturday ,,kinda got some color other than brown and was using the HUGE HONKIN reduction flame too ,,,soooo should I be initialy super heating in neutral and then usie a slight reduction flame to reduce???

Karen
Volcano Exotik
Old 2009-04-30, 2:41pm
Tweedle Dumb

i didn't really super heat cause it was on the end of the rod and it would have just dripped off, but i did get it pretty hot, then i let it cool till the glow was gone, adjusted my flame to about a 2 in candle maybe a hair bigger, and reduced it in the back a couple times... i didn't get SUPER results, but i did end up with blue, and it was not super metalic like i had gotten before. i think once i make a bead with it it will work better. on the other hand i tried psyche and got super results with this process! yeah i love reducing glass now, i always thought it was supposed to get super metalic... WRONG! unless that is what you are goin for...
Old 2009-04-30, 2:44pm
da General

I have a lot of information on working with silver glass under the Label "Silver Glass 101" on the right sidebar in my blog if you are interested.

http://envisionsf.blogspot.com

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-04-30, 3:04pm
Tweedle Dumb

thanks hayley!
Old 2009-05-02, 6:20pm

Glad I found this thread, thank you!

I haven't worked with Sasha's Silver/Michelangelo in a while and picked it back up a week or so ago. I was making a big pressed bead and used the end of an old rod(bottom half of bead) and the beginning of a new rod(top half of bead) to make this one. I was planning to encase, but I had too much glass already for the press, so I alternated between reducing and erasing a few times before I stopped messing around.

I thought this might serve as one example of an old batch vs new batch of Michelangelo in the same bead. Unencased. Also, I used a very light reducing flame by turning down my oxygen slightly.

Old 2009-05-02, 6:55pm

Steph, that's a great example. I have had the old batch, but ordered some more, so I wonder if it'll be the new one. I like the old one. I really like your trillium-shaped flowers on your bead! The trilliums are just blooming here now, and are the state flower of Vermont, and I just love that shape!

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-02, 7:35pm

Well Im a little disapointed,,,,I have the new batch,1/4 lb of it,,,,,,but at least Im getting the right brown with slight,slight purply blue

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2009-05-02, 7:36pm
Tweedle Dumb

Default sometimes it helps to be clueless

don't really know if what i got is correct but i LOVE IT! will be making a set of beads tomorrow. here is an end of a rod i was playing around with.
Old 2009-05-02, 7:40pm

Jamie, that's a gorgeous color!
Can't wait to see your beads.

Nancy

#R-85
Old 2009-05-02, 7:42pm
Tweedle Dumb

thanks, it is more purple than what the camera picked up, it was being a pain today. can't wait to get a few beads made with it. yummy color!