LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-27, 7:33am
plays with fire

Default Respironics Millenium 5 Liter Oxycon

Good morning everyone. I have a question. I may have an opportunity to purchase a Respironics Millenium 5 Liter Oxycon with 4400 hours on it. It was bought brand new about a year ago. I run a Minor burner with soft glass (effetre, mostly). I think I may get it for a steal (under $200) and would love to be able to quit hauling oxy tanks around. Would this machine be able to handle the load (I am not doing boro -- yet)? How noisy is it? Is working with one concentrator a lot slower than using a tank? Does anyone have any experience with this particular machine? I would love some advice. Thanks a bunch for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-27, 9:47am
Lampworkaholic!

I have a Respironics Millenium, it is labeled an M15 but I think it is a "souped-up" 10 LPM machine. It runs my Mega Minor just fine for soft glass, however I doubt it is hot enough for boro (even if "on paper" it should be). That is a great price for such a "low mileage" machine and I think it would run your Minor OK, although it won't be as hot as tanked oxy. It's not especially noisy, it "breathes" but is not as loud as my ventilation fan for example.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2010-02-27 at 10:49pm.
Old 2010-02-27, 10:58am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I ran my minor on a single oxycon in the beginning and it was plenty hot for soft glass.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-27, 11:18am
plays with fire

Thanks for the info. Was your first oxycon a 5 liter or 10?

Old 2010-02-27, 11:34am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

5 lpm

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-27, 11:40am
plays with fire

Thanks so much, very very helpful.

Old 2010-03-07, 8:30pm
Lampworker

before you buy, watch it in action....crank up the torch as much as possible and see if the flame fluctuates. if it does, the compressor needs new orings and gasquet
Old 2010-03-07, 8:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

if it's truly only a year old, it will be fine.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-03-10, 1:45pm
plays with fire

Thank you everyone for your advice. I bit the bullet and bought it on Saturday. I took it home, immediately got it hooked up to my torch and made a few beads. I love it! I got a great deal for a machine with only 4400 hours on it (it was actually about a year and a half old, but the previous owner had two machines and used the one I did not buy much more). No major differences between tanked oxy and the oxycon, and its very quiet. I kind of like the sound of Darth Vader sitting next to me while I am torching.