Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-06-08, 9:36am
Flameworker

Default GTT Phantom Setup Help

Ok,

So I am expecting a Phatom in a couple days and I need help on how to set it up. I'll be running it on a single tank of oxy and propane, as its a Four Stud and I have no pedal system. I know I need Y connectors and additional hoses, is there any thing else I'll need? Any help is gratly appreciated, thanks!

Nic
Old 2010-06-08, 3:34pm
Super Duper

Just a pair of Ys (and enough hose/connectors to put it all together of course).

I'd recommend a pedal, especially if you are on tanks. They can be quite expensive but if you are technically minded you can build your own. They save a fair deal of oxygen and can speed some processes up since you aren't fiddling around.

There is a thread on building your own here but you likely need a talkglass account: http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22881
Old 2010-06-09, 6:33am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i built a foot pedal from that thread. i can't remember for sure, but i want to say it cost about 130.00. super simple to build. the only confusion had was the wiring , but that's in the thread now.
congrats on the phantom !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-10, 5:58pm
tweetysweetie

I didn't read through that whole thread Ryan, because when I read his comment that the directions were for a Mirage only, I bowed out. When someone comes up with the directions/recommendations on building a foot pedal for the Phantom 4 stud....please, please let me know.

Old 2010-06-10, 8:19pm
Super Duper

He says mirage only because of the maximum flow through the valves. You can also use it for smaller torches just fine.
Old 2010-06-10, 9:51pm
Lampworker

you can get 1/4" plastic hose barbs T at ace or lowes. use small hose clamps and some section of hose and you can make a Y splitter.
Old 2010-06-11, 7:34am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
I didn't read through that whole thread Ryan, because when I read his comment that the directions were for a Mirage only, I bowed out. When someone comes up with the directions/recommendations on building a foot pedal for the Phantom 4 stud....please, please let me know.
Foot pedals are foot pedals, just like accelerator pedal in a car, would you not use instructions for one if it was labeled FORD and you were thinking CHEVROLET....

Foot pedals for the most part are GENERIC... You just use the number of solenoid valves and switches to match oxygen/fuel ports on torch....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-06-11 at 7:36am.
Old 2010-06-11, 6:18pm
tweetysweetie

Ah, Dale...lol, maybe to you they are very basic & "foot pedals are just foot pedals", but that is because YOU know about them. I'm still stuck at electric, mechanical, holding the pedal down continusously/on-off? So while for the most part they might be generic, the decisions one might make in trying to select one model over another are not. Do you torch with one, did you build it, if not what type do you use and why was it your preference.

I saw one being used by a marble maker in my John Kobuki class years ago and decided that one would be really, really useful. But that was way before I bought my Phantom.
The idea that it could be built at 1/3rd the cost is pretty enticing, especially since I spent my budget this year on an oxygen filling system. Ouch, but I'm a happy camper.. after all these years..no lugging tanks, no faulty LOX's..whoohooo

"He says mirage only because of the maximum flow through the valves. You can also use it for smaller torches just fine"
Thank you Ryan, I'll head back over and read the whole thread and probably have more questions answered too!

Old 2010-06-12, 7:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

As for foot pedals, the limits of flow through them could be increases by larger solenoids/valve ( but you have to deal with hose/size/restriction).... As for control it can be a foot pedal like car accelerator, maybe a knee pad (switch) against bench support, maybe a toggle switch....

The thing here is the concept, it is a mechanical/electrical way to turn on/off outer rings of fire, the how it happens just mechanics..... Bottom line is just be sure whatever you put together is safe.....

Dale

Old 2010-06-12, 12:55pm
tweetysweetie

Dale....thank you so much for the more in depth explanation. I'll be reading that "build your own" thread throughout and gain even more info I'm sure.

Tell me if you think I'm pipe dreamng about this? This guy at the marble class using the foot pedal, it had a left & right pedal to it, I think for inner/outer rings on/off, also there was a "roller" type piece that was for flame adjustment..have you ever seen/heard of such a thing? Wished I'd paid more attention to what torch he was running (we all had to bring our own) and to have thought to ask him more info about that pedal....bought, self built??? I was thinking at the time what a handy thing to keep your hands free, never considering that years later I'd hit "I want, I want" whiney stage.

Old 2010-06-12, 7:00pm

I have a foot pedal for my phantom and I love it I wouldn't be able to work with out it. You only need a single pedal for it. I have made Electric ones and also manual ones and I like the manual one the best. I can take it any where I want and I don't have to plug it in. DanG
Old 2010-06-13, 7:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Dan... Maybe you can enlighten us on the manual style, like what kind of valves.... I'm some what familiar with the electrical solenoid versions but have not given much consideration to manual valves and linking them to pedal...

Dale

Old 2010-06-13, 9:59am

I'll have to get the names off of them . The valves are made for gas. I'll take some pictures of mine and show you. OK here are 2 pictures of the one I made for myself. There are 2 hoses coming in and 4 going out and no need for any Y's. When I was selling them there was a cover over the valves to protect them.

Last edited by DanG; 2010-06-13 at 8:08pm.
Old 2010-06-14, 3:48pm
Flameworker

ok so i finally got the y connectors in and the torch came today too! Cant wait to make a pedal for it. Another question though, what are the proper pressures to run the Phantom at? Thanks everybody!

Nic
Old 2010-06-14, 7:44pm
Super Duper

Anything from 5/10 to 20/40 (propane/oxygen) should be fine, and you might even be able to go higher. Start with whatever and see if you are getting enough flame. I do soft glass on a mirage and 7/15 is more than enough.

Dan would you recommend momentary or on-off for a foot pedal?
Old 2010-06-14, 8:15pm

I like the on off you can get a pedal from Grangers if your making an Electric one. That way you don't have to sit there with your foot on the pedal all the time. I may even have one in my shop still in the box I'll have to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
Anything from 5/10 to 20/40 (propane/oxygen) should be fine, and you might even be able to go higher. Start with whatever and see if you are getting enough flame. I do soft glass on a mirage and 7/15 is more than enough.

Dan would you recommend momentary or on-off for a foot pedal?
Old 2010-06-15, 4:05am

Here is the pedal I used when I was making the Electric foot pedals. You can get it at Grangers on line.

Old 2010-06-15, 7:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another really good source for stuff electrical and mechanical (foot pedals and solenoid valves ) is mcmaster.com...

Dale

Old 2013-06-04, 11:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I'll have to get the names off of them . The valves are made for gas. I'll take some pictures of mine and show you. OK here are 2 pictures of the one I made for myself. There are 2 hoses coming in and 4 going out and no need for any Y's. When I was selling them there was a cover over the valves to protect them.

Could you please elaborate on the makings of this manual valve pedal.