Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-02-21, 12:20pm

Default What is needed to hook up a Barracuda?

Okay all I need your help once again.

When I am ready to get everything so that I can move into a Barracuda what all hook ups do I need. (Someone said a flashback arrestor. OMG I priced one then stopped looking after seeing 114.00 just for the arrestor. OUCH)

Okay when I first change over I will be using the barracuda on a BarBQ propane tank (that tank I already have and it is hooked up to a HH until I step up to the cuda) and I will use a oxy tank that I can refill. So what all hoses etc. do I need for this?

Down the road I will switch to oxy con I think with the tank as back up for larger work. So, will I need anything extra for this?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-21, 12:42pm
Button Queen

Flashback arrestors should NOT cost you $114. Mine were $34 from a welding supply place.

Other items you will need....
Oxygen Regulator
Propane Regulator
Oxygen and Propane Hose Set, 1/4"
O2 Tank

I went shopping for all my stuff at a local welder's supply place. I "own" the tank and just get it refilled when I need (they switch out the tanks). The guy I worked with there was great - he had dealt with other "Lampwork ladies" previous to my visit and knew exactly what I wanted. I had brought my husband as an interpretor and didn't need him. I have heard others though that have not had as good an experience.
Old 2007-02-21, 12:48pm
Missing presumed fed

A flashback arrestor is a safety device. It's not essential, and there's even some debate about how helpful it is on a surface mix torch like the Barracuda. You can set up your torch without flashback arrestors. (And I don't know where you saw that price, but Arrow Springs has a set with one for the oxygen line and one for the propane line for $55.)

You absolutely DO need a regulator for your propane tank, a regulator for your oxygen tank, and hoses for your propane and oxygen tanks. (If you were using a concentrator instead of an oxygen tank, you wouldn't need an oxygen regulator, because concentrators have a regulator built in.) The regulators are going to cost you about $75 each, and the hose set (propane and oxy together) will be somewhere around $30-$40.
Old 2007-02-21, 2:17pm
Beach Brat

The barracuda has 2 oxy and 2 gas burners for the inner and outer flames. So you're also going to need split Y connectors (and extra hoses) if your'e running them from the same tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's more than just a bead; it's an adventure

Old 2007-02-22, 2:08pm

Only one hose set is needed for a Barracuda--there are two oxy and two gas control knobs on the torch, but only one hose set connects to the torch.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2007-02-22, 5:06pm
boro color bender

Yeah, you don't need the Y. The Cuda only has one port for each gas.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-02-23, 6:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Flashback arrestors should NOT cost you $114. Mine were $34 from a welding supply place.

Other items you will need....
Oxygen Regulator
Propane Regulator
Oxygen and Propane Hose Set, 1/4"
O2 Tank

I went shopping for all my stuff at a local welder's supply place. I "own" the tank and just get it refilled when I need (they switch out the tanks). The guy I worked with there was great - he had dealt with other "Lampwork ladies" previous to my visit and knew exactly what I wanted. I had brought my husband as an interpretor and didn't need him. I have heard others though that have not had as good an experience.
I managed to pull up the most expensive site it seems - DelphiGlass I think it was. Thanks for the info above. Now I am just trying to figure out if the oxy and propane regulators have to be a certain brand or not. I guess even though trying to figure everything out is over whelming, I am actually getting a little more comfortable with the terms and learning alot about this. LOL Thanks again.

Old 2007-02-23, 6:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
A flashback arrestor is a safety device. It's not essential, and there's even some debate about how helpful it is on a surface mix torch like the Barracuda. You can set up your torch without flashback arrestors. (And I don't know where you saw that price (delphiglass) , but Arrow Springs has a set with one for the oxygen line and one for the propane line for $55.)

You absolutely DO need a regulator for your propane tank, a regulator for your oxygen tank, and hoses for your propane and oxygen tanks. (If you were using a concentrator instead of an oxygen tank, you wouldn't need an oxygen regulator, because concentrators have a regulator built in.) The regulators are going to cost you about $75 each, and the hose set (propane and oxy together) will be somewhere around $30-$40.
Thanks for the information and thanks for going into detail for me in the PM it is very helpful. Do you happen to know if I have to use a specific brand or size regulater for this?

Old 2007-02-23, 9:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueleigh View Post
Now I am just trying to figure out if the oxy and propane regulators have to be a certain brand or not. .
There is nothing in glass lampworking than needs specific brand name regulators or parts.... Any industry standard (welding) fuel or oxygen regulator will work... Almost everything used for hooking up touch came from welding industry so everything is pretty much compatible.

Best to stay with popular brand names if possible (Smith - Victor - National) but not necessary. Probably should avoid anything made in China (no name parts).

Same thing for hoses, any welding type "twin hose" is acceptable as long as connectors are compatible (B size) and hose should be rated "T" grade (for propane use). "R" or "RM" hose is for acetylene only and will deteriorate faster when used with propane. Twin hose can be separated (carefully) to reach fuel tank and oxygen source if they are separated by some distance(propane tank outside).

Propane tanks and oxygen tanks are all "generic" and industry standard.

Suggest you just do comparison shopping for parts or look for a "package" deal that has acceptable pricing, unless you have specific dealer you want to do business with.

Only "torch specific" accessories that require compatible parts are the exception to the generic/industry standard rule...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-02-23 at 9:08am.
Old 2007-02-23, 11:39am

Anyone know if these would work??

Victor Regulators Oxygen and Acetylene

Old 2007-02-23, 1:50pm

Quote:
Anyone know if these would work??

Victor Regulators Oxygen and Acetylene
...yep, those will work.
Old 2007-02-23, 2:12pm

What about this set? They are cheaper but, I would rather pay alittle extra if needed to be right and safe.

VICTOR PROLINE REGULATORS (OXYGEN & ACETYLENE) *NEW*

Thanks, Leigh

Old 2007-02-23, 2:53pm

...sure those will work too.
you might want to go to a local welding shop and look at the stuff in person. i bet they will have the same set or something similar. i bought a set of victor regs at a pawn shop for 10 bucks, another oxygen regulator at a flea market, same price.

victor, smith or harris are the better brands of regs.
i would google the set(s) from ebay to just compare shop the price. a set of regulators should last a long time which is why i went the used route to save some money.

theres always craigslist too
Old 2007-02-23, 5:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
What about this set? They are cheaper but, I would rather pay alittle extra if needed to be right and safe.

VICTOR PROLINE REGULATORS (OXYGEN & ACETYLENE) *NEW*

Thanks, Leigh
Actually this set has wrong connector on Acetylene regulator, it has CGA 300 connector and propane tanks require CGA 510 connector...

It's possible to replace CGA 300 connector with CGA 510 and most any welding supply can do it, but its just as easy to find "set" with correct tank connectors...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-02-23 at 5:08pm.
Old 2007-02-23, 5:13pm

...dont they have an adaptor for that?
Old 2007-02-23, 8:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by phab View Post
...dont they have an adaptor for that?
YEs there is ..

http://store.weldersplus.com/wes16.html

But why not just buy correct regulator and not have another piece to complicate things....

Dale

Old 2007-02-23, 11:01pm

Thanks bunches everyone for all the information and help you have given me. So, now I am keeping my eyes peeled.

Dale, thanks for info one the connector. If I didn't know that and even if I got one and replaced the connector I would hate forgetting that I did indeed replaced a part and then in turn give info to someone and messing them up if they were asking for my help. It is easy to forget that you changed out a part so that it would meet your own needs then pass info on that something works but, not tell them that it only works because you changed to a different connector. Jeeze I hope that made sense. I am headed to bed for the night. thanks again everyone, leigh

Old 2007-02-24, 8:45am

Quote:
Thanks bunches everyone for all the information and help you have given me. So, now I am keeping my eyes peeled.

Dale, thanks for info one the connector. If I didn't know that and even if I got one and replaced the connector I would hate forgetting that I did indeed replaced a part and then in turn give info to someone and messing them up if they were asking for my help. It is easy to forget that you changed out a part so that it would meet your own needs then pass info on that something works but, not tell them that it only works because you changed to a different connector. Jeeze I hope that made sense. I am headed to bed for the night. thanks again everyone, leigh
...EXCUSE ME?
i would probably be better off not responding to your insult but you and dale act like youre building the space shuttle.
those are victor regulators for oxygen and acetylene and they will work PERFECTLY FINE to run a baracuda.
if it throws off your mojo (and karma) that bad to buy a $3.00 adaptor then those are definitly not the regulators for you.
good luck
Old 2007-02-24, 9:35am

Quote:
...EXCUSE ME?

i would probably be better off not responding to your insult but you and dale act like youre building the space shuttle.

those are victor regulators for oxygen and acetylene and they will work PERFECTLY FINE to run a baracuda.

if it throws off your mojo (and karma) that bad to buy a $3.00 adaptor then those are definitly not the regulators for you.

good luck
Okay, WOW! You are excused if you feel you need to be. The insult by all means was not meant to you. If it was meant towards anyone it was towards myself. Now who is trying to insult who? Jeez.

I AM NOT attempting to build a space shuttle, and if I was I doubt very seriously that I would come to a glass forum to ask for info on it. So if you felt insulted, was it because you can't build a space shuttle any better than the rest of us or is it because I am a scatter brained female that needed help making sure that I hooked up a torch as easily as possible, with a simple method so that I will not forget what I did to get there? Kudos to you if you felt offended because I basically stated that I might as well be blonde and dingy. Even my hubby wouldn't have been offended for me so it is nice to know that someone cares. I am very happy that you are a person that is very self assured and not intimidated by getting the job done. But, needless to say I have only used a hot head torch and moving from that into a Cuda, very well just might be like trying to figure out how to build a space shuttle. So, in allowing yourself to be offended when you weren't even the one that was being put down, you seemed to feel the need to bite and offend someone right back. If it was me you were trying to offend sorry it just really doesn't work because as you can see I can offend myself just fine. And you are perfectly right - I am guessing that replacing a $3.00 connector isn't for me which in turn makes those regulators not for me either and I think that was the point (granted put in a much nicer context to begin with the first time around).

And amazingly enough why are you knocking Dale for pointing out that I would have needed to change the connector in the first place? If he wouldn't have stated it I wouldn't have known and where would that have gotten me when everything came in and it was time to hook it up? I would think it would have left me more confussed and frustrated than I was to begin with. And wasn't that the whole point of this thread? To help work through what was needed so that I could hook up my torch?

I do want to state for the record that I DO deeply appreciate all the help and info that everyone shares here on LE. Thank you!

Now if you we would like to talk about my mojo and karma I would recommend taking that elsewhere because I can assure you that this would not have much of anything to do with torching glass.

Old 2007-02-24, 9:50am

Quote:
Okay, WOW! You are excused if you feel you need to be. The insult by all means was not meant to you. If it was meant towards anyone it was towards myself. Now who is trying to insult who? Jeez.

I AM NOT attempting to build a space shuttle, and if I was I doubt very seriously that I would come to a glass forum to ask for info on it. So if you felt insulted, was it because you can't build a space shuttle any better than the rest of us or is it because I am a scatter brained female that needed help making sure that I hooked up a torch as easily as possible, with a simple method so that I will not forget what I did to get there? Kudos to you if you felt offended because I basically stated that I might as well be blonde and dingy. Even my hubby wouldn't have been offended for me so it is nice to know that someone cares. I am very happy that you are a person that is very self assured and not intimidated by getting the job done. But, needless to say I have only used a hot head torch and moving from that into a Cuda, very well just might be like trying to figure out how to build a space shuttle. So, in allowing yourself to be offended when you weren't even the one that was being put down, you seemed to feel the need to bite and offend someone right back. If it was me you were trying to offend sorry it just really doesn't work because as you can see I can offend myself just fine. And you are perfectly right - I am guessing that replacing a $3.00 connector isn't for me which in turn makes those regulators not for me either and I think that was the point (granted put in a much nicer context to begin with the first time around).

And amazingly enough why are you knocking Dale for pointing out that I would have needed to change the connector in the first place? If he wouldn't have stated it I wouldn't have known and where would that have gotten me when everything came in and it was time to hook it up? I would think it would have left me more confussed and frustrated than I was to begin with. And wasn't that the whole point of this thread? To help work through what was needed so that I could hook up my torch?

I do want to state for the record that I DO deeply appreciate all the help and info that everyone shares here on LE. Thank you!

Now if you we would like to talk about my mojo and karma I would recommend taking that elsewhere because I can assure you that this would not have much of anything to do with torching glass.
...LOL!!!!
just go down to a welding shop, they will answer all your questions. i know its confusing when its the first time around but dont be intimidated by any of it, youll be fine.

enjoy that cuda, its a hot little torch.
Old 2007-02-24, 9:58am

Quote:
...LOL!!!!
just go down to a welding shop, they will answer all your questions. i know its confusing when its the first time around but dont be intimidated by any of it, youll be fine.

Thanks!

Old 2007-02-24, 10:43am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
...LOL!!!!

Thats rich..... I just did same thing you are suggesting... Answering questions... Probably giving same advise gas counter jockey would give....

Dale

Old 2007-02-24, 10:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Thats rich..... I just did same thing you are suggesting... Answering questions... Probably giving same advise gas counter jockey would give....

Dale
...yer the best.
Old 2007-02-25, 9:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
...EXCUSE ME?
...... you and dale act like youre building the space shuttle......
You never know, we may be the first astronaut "lampworkers"..

It may even be made into a movie.....

Dale

Old 2007-02-27, 6:24am

Do you guys know if this oxy con/gen would work to run the center flame on a barracuda torch?

Name:  oxygen.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  4.1 KB

Respironics Oxygen Generator - It is a 5 liter per minute unit and 7 psi output. The purity level is 92 to 94 % O2

I am thinking the psi might be to low?

Old 2007-03-07, 8:44am

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I appreciate this thread because it is helping to answer my questions for switching from a HH to a Mini CC.
I too feel like I am trying to build a space ship. But it WILL get easier (trying to stay positive).
It's almost worse than when I wanted to go to bulk fuel with a HH. Then I decided it wasn't safe so here I am....
Dale you were such a HUGE help with the Hot Head.
I hope you both don't mind if I sneak in a question or 2 myself?
Angela
Old 2007-03-07, 9:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

You are not intruding, if you have similar questions then we can address them here...

Dale

Old 2007-03-07, 9:21pm

Leigh,
FWIW I contacted Carlisle machine works directly with my questions about the Mini CC and Oxycons, or with my not even knowing my questions, and they were a great help.

I don't know who makes the Barracuda but could you call the manufacturer? Even if you don't buy the torch from them they should be willing to help if they are a good company. And perhaps they sell concentrators too?

About the Oxycon., when I asked Carlisle about the PSI they said that the LPM was the important thing and not the PSI though people assume that more PSI equals more heat when really it is...perhaps the CFM or volume that counts.
Dale, I don't know if I got that all down right, please help me out here if not.
And also about the PSI not being important as long as it was over a certain number? I guess that number differs depending on the torch? Again I'm not sure about this part.

As far as regulators go they told me to be sure that I got one that was made for the lower range. Not say 1-100 PSI, but more like 1-15. The regulator operates best at mid-range. So a regulator that went to 100 PSI would operate best at 50 PSI. That's not good when one needs 4 PSI (or whatever the PSI for your torch).

They suggested I look for one that was from 1-15 PSI so that I would not get what people call hunting, and breathing, where the torch flame gets larger and smaller (breathing) due to regulator fluctuation (hunting) when it has too large of a range.
Whew. Well that's all I've got to offer.

Oh. Carlisle has the M 10 Oxycon Unlimited by S.C. Cyrogenics with 5 LPM/10 PSI and a 3 year warrenty. Not sure of Carlisle's exact cost 'cause they quoted me 20% less for a whole package deal.
They suggested this smaller unit for the Mini CC torch so your torch probably needs more?
They were so helpful and I'm sure they would love to sell you one. They had a 15 LPM.

I can afford it somehow....maybe..... (crossing off a vacation for another year)! Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-03-07 at 9:30pm.