Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-06-29, 9:54am
Griffin Park Originals

Default Yikes!!! What was that loud popping noise?!

I shut my torch off today and there was a loud popping noise that came from it. Scared the daylights out of me! Did I do something wrong? I'm always afraid I'm going to blow myself up. I shut it off because I was running out of oxygen. Could that have been it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-29, 1:12pm
Button Queen

typically, I will only get a popping sound when I turn off the propane first. You should turn off the oxygen, then the propane.

It doesn't hurt anything, just makes that popping noise.
Old 2007-07-02, 6:13pm
Griffin Park Originals

Thanks Barb. That was probably it. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I went and got a new tank of oxygen today and am ready to try again. And a lot less afraid. (that I'm not going to blow myself up).

Old 2007-07-02, 9:11pm
PyronamixK

Actually, a torch should not pop when shutting off - whether you shut off the oxygen or the propane first (it's a different story when turning a torch on, though). Furthermore, a pop that is loud enough to scare you is cause for concern.

I would advise that you check for an internal leak. Here's how:

With the torch running on a medium setting, take the oxygen hose and kink it shut so that it abruptly cuts off the oxygen flow to the torch. Hold it shut for a slow count to three. Then, let it fly open as fast as it can. If the torch pops and shuts off, you have a definite leak. You should try this two or three times to make sure. If it pops and the flame shuts off, you have a definite leak. If that is the case, discontinue use immediately and contact Nortel.

Has it ever popped before?
Old 2007-07-03, 3:19am
Griffin Park Originals

No, it never popped before. It is the first time I used the top burner on the torch. I'll print out your directions above and have my husband check it out.

Old 2007-07-03, 3:32am
Crazy tool making guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post

With the torch running on a medium setting, take the oxygen hose and kink it shut so that it abruptly cuts off the oxygen flow to the torch. Hold it shut for a slow count to three. Then, let it fly open as fast as it can. If the torch pops and shuts off, you have a definite leak. You should try this two or three times to make sure. If it pops and the flame shuts off, you have a definite leak. If that is the case, discontinue use immediately and contact Nortel.
Hi Kbinkster.... I assume this is for a surface-mix torch, and that you are testing for a leak that allows internal mixing?

I was wondering if you could share the theory behind your test. I don't quite get it.

In the world of fuel only gas burners like gas grills, the pop at shutoff can be caused when the gas stream slows down enough that the flame can back propagate through the venturi. I assume something like this is happening?

-Jeff
Old 2007-07-03, 8:31am
PyronamixK

Hi Jeff,

This test is to check for an internal leak within a surface mix torch. What happens is that when you shut off the oxygen and leave the fuel running, there is a void in the oxygen chamber. If there is a leak, the fuel will go through the leak to fill the void. There would then be fuel in the oxygen chamber. When the oxygen is reintroduced, there is a mixing of fuel and oxygen within the body of the torch and the fuel ignites inside the torch, resulting in a small internal explosion that makes a very loud pop. You would basically have a premix situation in a surface mix torch, which can lead to things like flashback.

Finding an internal leak can be very tricky. Sometimes, the leak is a tiny pinhole. When they are very small, the premixing (and resulting popping) can be very erratic.
Old 2007-07-10, 6:52pm
Griffin Park Originals

It was the turning off oxygen before propane. Sometimes the flame is so big it freaks me out and I just turn it off any way I can. Tonight while I had the torch running the wheels of my chair rolled over some bubble wrap and popped and about sent me thru the roof. lol....anyways husband checked it out for me. Thanks everyone.