Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-03-03, 7:51pm
Noobie

Default Smelling propane when propane knob off

I have to go outside to turn on my propane tank..by the time I get back in where I torch I can smell propane and the red knob to my torch is turned off. I checked all of the connections with soapy water and I cant find any leaks. I can however feel the propane coming out of the torch head.

I have an 8M national..I have tried different tips..the sm7 and I believe its the sm27..I have tried taking the tips in and out and making sure they are tight..Im not really sure what to do from this point..I know propane shouldn't be leaking out of the torch head..

The tips just screw into the torch head..Im going to double check right now to see if there are any other accessories I needed to screw in with those tips, but I dont think so...I think it was for the H tips for working boro that needed an extra piece....when the tips were out, the torch was still putting out a good amount of propane..so much that I had to leave and go back later as I was feeling whoozy..any other ideas?

Just to give an idea of how much propane is coming out..I can keep the red knob off, light my torch and get a good enough flame to make a small bead.

Last edited by cherie; 2008-03-03 at 8:12pm.
Old 2008-03-03, 8:32pm
Gentleman of Leisure

If you say knob is OFF and you still have propane coming out of torch face, then knob IS NOT off.... It only feels like it is off.....

Internal parts of valve below knob are the problem... Suggest you do not attempt to torch till you can get knob/valve issues resolved... It may be as simple as a very small dirt particle or metal particle keeping valve stem for seating with base properly to completely shut off propane....A good service/cleaning of valve may be all thats necessary to correct problem... Or it may be that valve is defective and needs to be replaced...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-03-03, 8:46pm
Noobie

No, I haven't been able to torch because of the leak..Im going to try to take the knob apart right now and see if I can clean it.
Old 2008-03-03, 9:05pm
Noobie

Thanks Dale..that seemed to have worked..the knob wasn't screwed in securely enough..I haven't lit my torch. Im going to wait until tomorrow once it clears out..that propane smell gave me a horrible headache!
Thanks again
Old 2008-03-03, 9:14pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Just a reminder to folks in general: When you turn off your torch, don't over tighten the knob. The valves are brass (typically) and you can cause them to not seat or seal properly if you crank down on them.

Turn the knob until it's off. That's all.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-03-03, 9:31pm

Something else that I have noticed is that if you are using the quick connects for your propane, you can get a tiny bit of leakage when the tank gets close to empty and the pressure is very low. I

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein