TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-12-04, 7:55pm

Default HotHead mount

does anyone have a suggestion as to how to mount a HH (with hose and bulk fuel) to a workbench?

Thanks...Bo Whalen
Old 2005-12-04, 8:25pm
im Loving it!

You need an L bracket and a clamp.......

Sorry dont know the technical terms for these things.... hope you understand what I mean?

Jenny
Old 2005-12-04, 8:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by botree
does anyone have a suggestion as to how to mount a HH (with hose and bulk fuel) to a workbench?

Thanks...Bo Whalen
Basically from a hardware store, you need a "L" bracket, a "C" Clamp and a "worm type" hose clamp (1-1/2 inch size I think)...

Place "L" bracket next to edge of table or bench and secure in place with "C" clamp, bring hose and torch "connection" up next to "L" Bracket and use hose clamp to anchor it in place....

Parts

Close up of clamps and "L" bracket

Overall View.

If torch stands too straight up, its ok to bend bracket so torch lays down at better angle over work surface..

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-12-05 at 1:23pm.
Old 2005-12-04, 9:20pm
im Loving it!

hehe forgot about the hose bracket.......thank goodness Dale had some excellent pics and explanation.

In fact, I believe that I saw a thread by Dale somewhere else and thats how I managed to do mine all on my lonesome (ok I took a shopping list with me and gave the note to the man at the counter lol).

Jenny
Old 2005-12-05, 12:29pm

Default Thanks Dale!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Basically from a hardware store, you need a "L" bracket, a "C" Clamp and a "worm type" hose clamp (1-1/2 inch size I think)...

Place "L" bracket next to edge of table or bench and secure in place with "C" clamp, bring hose and torch "connection" up next to "L" Bracket and use hose clamp to anchor it in place....

Parts

Close up of clamps and "L" bracket

Overall View.

If torch stands too straight up, its ok to bend bracket so torch lays down at better angle over work surface..

Dale
Couldn't have asked for more. Matter of fact I have all the fixin's on hand.
BTW I found a hose set with Bulk connector on one end and female disposable cannister connector on the other at Home Depot for $23.00. Sold to be used with a portable grill.

Thanks all who viewed post.
Old 2005-12-06, 3:35pm
Floral Obsessed

Hi Dale! A while ago I posted a question about high-pressure hose safety in your hot head safety thread. I don't know if you've seen that thread lately but I thought I'd point it out. I'd love to have as much safety info possible on this subject, because I occasionally teach intro to beadmaking on FireWerks torches, and I know you've been investigating it in detail. Right now I'm still in the "not recommending HH bulk tanks" camp but I'm always interested in new research and sharing and I really respect your knowledge and experience, especially in ventilation. I'm thinking since you and Mike A. both speak calmly about HH bulk tanks, maybe there's something I've missed. Thanks so much!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831

-Heather
Old 2005-12-06, 6:10pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae
Hi Dale! A while ago I posted a question about high-pressure hose safety in your hot head safety thread. I don't know if you've seen that thread lately but I thought I'd point it out. I'd love to have as much safety info possible on this subject, because I occasionally teach intro to beadmaking on FireWerks torches, and I know you've been investigating it in detail. Right now I'm still in the "not recommending HH bulk tanks" camp but I'm always interested in new research and sharing and I really respect your knowledge and experience, especially in ventilation. I'm thinking since you and Mike A. both speak calmly about HH bulk tanks, maybe there's something I've missed. Thanks so much!

-Heather
The data in the article you show link to is still the most up to date out there...
I am not aware of any new breakthroughs in hoses or fittings.... Most hoses and tanks are Industry (bbq-camping) standards and adapted to glass use...

Its not a ideal arrangement, but it works and like anything that uses high pressure fuels and hoses and etc. it demands respect.

Dale

Old 2005-12-08, 12:28pm
Floral Obsessed

Hi Dale - My question wasn't about the type of hose you recommend - I agree, your data on that was really clear. I just want to better understand how it works with residential safety laws, etc, because you've also mentioned that US national fire codes prohibit indoor residential fuel lines higher than 20 psi. Yes, HH bulk users should be using T-rated hose that are rated to handle pressures of 200 psi++, but would they still be breaking fire codes, voiding insurance, etc? I figure you're the right person to ask for more details, if you have the time. Thanks so much!

Sincerely, Heather
Old 2005-12-08, 1:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae
Hi Dale - My question wasn't about the type of hose you recommend - I agree, your data on that was really clear. I just want to better understand how it works with residential safety laws, etc, because you've also mentioned that US national fire codes prohibit indoor residential fuel lines higher than 20 psi. Yes, HH bulk users should be using T-rated hose that are rated to handle pressures of 200 psi++, but would they still be breaking fire codes, voiding insurance, etc? I figure you're the right person to ask for more details, if you have the time. Thanks so much!

Sincerely, Heather
The thing is ... NFPA does not say you can not TEMPORARILY bring in high pressure propane hose through DOOR or WINDOW... It does states you can not plumb in (with metal piping) propane with a pressure of an excess of 20 psi. IF you are using long hose in temporary situation it must be disconnected and placed outside at end of session...

It also stipulates you can not store or use a propane cylinder larger than 1 pound in a residence, IT does NOT say you can not have cylinder outside door or window and have long hose on it... Some hoses can be had up to 25 feet long. Its pretty obvious that you can not have tank outside and torch inside with a 3-5 ft hose....

Typically a residence is your living, eating, sleeping space. If garage is attached, then it is part of residence. NFPA does not say you can not have tank in a "out building" or barn or some other enclosure that is NOT part of residence. Sure makes that shed in backyard look more like a studio...

Dale

Old 2005-12-08, 3:05pm
Floral Obsessed

Thanks Dale!!! I've moved my 2 further questions back to your thread in the Safety forum 'cause I'm way off topic from brackets.

Thanks thanks thanks for your info and patience! -Heather

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2005-12-08 at 3:40pm.
Old 2006-06-22, 12:13pm

Smile Thank you Dale!

Thanks Dale for your excellent pics and info in this thread! I wasn't sure how to hook a HH up for temporary use and now I do! Mucho Gracias!

Carolyn
Proud mommy to 4 year-old triplets!
Old 2009-05-11, 5:36pm
SnakeBite

Way to go thanks this answered alot of my questions
Old 2009-05-11, 7:29pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
Way to go thanks this answered alot of my questions
Lots of questions answered here....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...049b52b0d052e9

Dale

Old 2009-05-11, 8:29pm
And silence is golden

Here is a picture of my HH set-up using some of the implements that Dale suggests. I mounted mine on the block of wood to get the angle that works for me. Then I mounted the block to my work surface with bolts. Please excuse the blurry photo. My variation gives me a bit more height.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-05-11 at 8:40pm.
Old 2009-05-27, 6:48pm
I practice alchemy!

With this set-up, is it set right to be able to use the torch mounted marver? I'm getting to the point where I would like to be able to use my torch mounted marver. I haven't yet because my torch points pretty much straight up.

Celeste
Old 2009-05-27, 8:58pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
With this set-up, is it set right to be able to use the torch mounted marver? I'm getting to the point where I would like to be able to use my torch mounted marver. I haven't yet because my torch points pretty much straight up.

Celeste
I've been thinking about adding one to mine. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old 2009-05-28, 6:14am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post

Celeste
Yes... Using angle bracket you can have torch head in any position from horizontal to vertical and yes you can mount a torch mounter marver...

Dale

Old 2009-05-28, 5:40pm
I practice alchemy!

Thank you! I'll make this mounting system a priority.

Celeste